Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#94212 by EX Bell
Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:03 pm
I wasn't going to include myself in my case study, because I'm so new to Ooma, but it make the statistics more interesting. Based on the answers I've received so far, the majority are first generation (Telo has a Phone port and a Wall port) and the remainder of us have second generation Telos (Phone port only, no Wall port).

Here's my stats to throw into the mix.

1. Age of Telo: 2 months
2. Does your Telo have a Phone port and a Wall port (Yes or No) ? No
3. If you have a Wall port on your Telo, do you utilize it (Yes or No) ?
4. Did your power supply require replacement (Yes or No) ? No
5. Is your Telo Phone port connected to house wiring (Yes or No) ? Yes. I have a duplex wall plate, where both jacks are wired together. The Telo is plugged into one plug and my Panasonic KX-TG6655S DECT 6.0 base station is plugged into the other. From there, two branch lines connect to a FAX and a CID capable modem for Windows 7 Caller ID on my HTPC.
6. Is your Telo power plugged into a surge protector (Yes or No) ? Yes
7. Is your Telo power plugged into a UPS (Yes or No) ? No
8. Do you use the WiFi adapter (Yes or No) ? No
9. Do you use the Bluetooth adapter (Yes or No) ? No
10. Are there strong magnetic fields near your Telo such as a CRT Monitor, an induction charger such as Powermat, or large speaker magnets (Yes or No) ? No

So far...

The average age of respondent Telos over 6 months old = 18.7 months
63% are First Generation Telos
37% are Second Generation Telos
75% of us have our Telos connected to house phone wiring
50% have Telos connected to a router or access point via Ooma WiFi adapter
25% are using Bluetooth adapters
62% are using a surge protector
25% have their Telo on a UPS
13% have no unstable power protection - 13 Cyberchat! Not a lucky number! :shock:
13% have had to replaced their Telo after less than 2 years of service
13% required a power supply swap
Last edited by EX Bell on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
#94214 by EX Bell
Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:36 pm
dsinternet wrote:I use to have it hooked up an UPS, but don't anymore since I got the wireless.
:?
Huh? Why did the WiFi adapter prompt you to stop using the UPS? Both modem and router, as well as the Telo would have to be backed up by a UPS (not to mention a batter backed cordless phone base unit) to have phone service during a localized power outage.

I think perhaps some might be missing the point of an Uninterruptible Power Supply. Yes they can supply backup power to your devices in a power outage, but they also (to varying degrees depending on the model) filter the incoming AC, removing performance degrading interference, protect against voltage spikes in the thousands of volts and the more common, but lower voltage spikes can also slowly destroy power supplies and other components. Every time your refrigerator turns on and off the voltage in your home is disturbed. When voltages drop below a safe threshold, a UPS will stabilize the power typically within 2-4 milliseconds.

I currently have my modem and routers on a UPS. Eventually I will add a UPS to the Telo.
#94216 by EX Bell
Tue Mar 20, 2012 8:43 pm
WayneDsr wrote:1. Age of Telo 2 YEARS

I also have an Ooma Hub, brand new in 2009, never replaced and used daily.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Very encouraging feedback, especially from ibmofo, 2spirit and you. Is your hub also plugged into a UPS?
Last edited by EX Bell on Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
#94224 by murphy
Wed Mar 21, 2012 2:55 am
The first Telo released to the public in September 2009 had the controls at the top. I think what you are calling a first generation Telo was a marketing mockup that was never put into production but was shown at a show in early 2009.
#94226 by EX Bell
Wed Mar 21, 2012 3:50 am
murphy wrote:The first Telo released to the public in September 2009 had the controls at the top. I think what you are calling a first generation Telo was a marketing mockup that was never put into production but was shown at a show in early 2009.

Thanks for clarifying Wayne. That was a suspicion I had and the reason I questioned the difference in the first post, becuase you see that original test version in old photos from the initial press announcement, which I now understand was at a show. I've adjusted my posts. Appreciate the feedback.

Oh and, is your Hub also plugged into a UPS? Just curious.
#94227 by lbmofo
Wed Mar 21, 2012 5:08 am
EX Bell wrote:Thanks for clarifying

I am sure you meant murphy :)
#94228 by WayneDsr
Wed Mar 21, 2012 6:20 am
EX Bell wrote:
WayneDsr wrote:1. Age of Telo 2 YEARS

I also have an Ooma Hub, brand new in 2009, never replaced and used daily.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne. Very encouraging feedback, especially from ibmofo, 2spirit and you. Is your hub also plugged into a UPS?

Hub has always been plugged into a UPS.

Wayne
#94231 by murphy
Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:50 am
All of my electronic devices (except for the color laser printer and the microwave) are connected to UPSs, which have built-in surge suppression. Living room, bed room, computer room, basement.
#94241 by EX Bell
Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:33 am
lbmofo wrote:
EX Bell wrote:Thanks for clarifying

I am sure you meant murphy :)

I certainly did. My apologies to both of you.
#94243 by EX Bell
Wed Mar 21, 2012 10:50 am
Thanks for the feedback on the UPS gents. Now, I am getting my own post off track, so for anyone who has just joined this shaggy dog, the purpose of my post was to record the positive results from Telo owners and learn how long it has been in service. Here's a re-post to get things back on track.

I've read plenty of posts here about user's Telos failing anywhere from 2 months to 2 years, but I don't see many posts from those that have not had hardware issues and are enjoying consistent results. So what about it? Post your positive results. I'm strictly looking for results from Telo owners.

If you feel like responding, please record the following in your post.

1. Age of Telo:
2. Does your Telo have a Phone port and a Wall port (Yes or No) ?
3. If you have a Wall port on your Telo, do you utilize it (Yes or No) ?
4. Did your power supply require replacement (Yes or No) ?
5. Is your Telo Phone port connected to house phone wiring (Yes or No) ?
6. Is your Telo power plugged into a surge protector (Yes or No) ?
7. Is your Telo power plugged into a UPS (Yes or No) ?
8. Do you use the WiFi adapter (Yes or No) ?
9. Do you use the Bluetooth adapter (Yes or No) ?
10. Are there strong magnetic fields near your Telo such as a CRT Monitor, an induction charger such as Powermat, or large speaker magnets (Yes or No) ?