Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#94008 by backscatter
Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:22 am
Please add the ability to disable the voicemail as a Basic feature. Currently, the only option available is to delay the voicemail pickup for up to 59 seconds -- there is no way to completely disable this feature so that voicemail never picks up.
#94011 by thunderbird
Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:42 am
backscatter wrote:Please add the ability to disable the voicemail as a Basic feature. Currently, the only option available is to delay the voicemail pickup for up to 59 seconds -- there is no way to completely disable this feature so that voicemail never picks up.

You can call Ooma Customer Support and they will disable your voicemail. But the drawback is that you can't later have it enabled again.
#94602 by rschoonh
Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:07 pm
I second this feature request (ability to completely turn off voicemail). I got Ooma for my folks, but they (perhaps like many others) cannot deal with the minimalist controls on the Telo. They continue to use a DECT phone with answering machine instead. The problem is that when their answering machine is off, or full, or they are simply already on the line speaking with someone, a call can roll to the Ooma VM without their knowing about it. Being able to turn of the Ooma VM feature would solve this, and seems like a simple enough feature to implement. Of course, it should be a toggle in the Dashboard, rather than a customer service call that cannot later be undone.
#94626 by EX Bell
Thu Apr 05, 2012 7:01 am
According to Bobby B, there were plans to add a On/Off toggle back in 2008. You should send him an email and ask why it still doesn't exist.
Last edited by EX Bell on Thu Apr 05, 2012 10:26 am, edited 1 time in total.
#111912 by mjl1297
Tue Jul 23, 2013 4:53 pm
Bobby B wrote:If you contact Ooma support, they can enable or disable your voicemail box.

According to a customer service representative I just finished chatting with they can only disable it WITH NO option to enable it again later on which is absurd. Like salicat25 says why can this not be undone? More to the point why isn't there an option to disable it from the dashboard in the first place particularly since it has allegedly been coming since 2008?
#111915 by EX Bell
Tue Jul 23, 2013 9:19 pm
mjl1297 wrote:
Bobby B wrote:If you contact Ooma support, they can enable or disable your voicemail box.

According to a customer service representative I just finished chatting with they can only disable it WITH NO option to enable it again later on which is absurd. Like salicat25 says why can this not be undone? More to the point why isn't there an option to disable it from the dashboard in the first place particularly since it has allegedly been coming since 2008?

Tom B from Ooma wrote:Previously it was permanent because it was resource intensive to undo, now support has an easy tool to disable or enable the mailbox.

Unfortunately, it would appear the customer service rep you spoke with has old information which is no longer accurate.
Last edited by EX Bell on Wed Jul 24, 2013 4:55 am, edited 1 time in total.
#111919 by EX Bell
Wed Jul 24, 2013 5:21 am
mjl1297 wrote:Well that is good to know. Now how do I get in touch with someone at Ooma that does know what they are talking about?

You're in the right place. Not saying that's the way things should be, but it is they way things are with many tech companies. Phone support is expensive, so you always have a team of less experienced L1 techs that answer calls first and generally deal with only the basics. Getting inaccurate information from one of them is inevitable from time to time. I have experienced this with Microsoft, Apple, Bell, etc.

Generally I find Ooma tech support to be very good, but I don't expect the L1 techs to have all the answers, and so I ask my questions here first. I know that long time users with a lot of experience will help and when it's appropriate, high level Ooma reps will respond.