Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#95641 by lbmofo
Mon May 07, 2012 3:43 pm
Maybe due to how info is presented (or mis-represented), when I go into status - local network - DHCP client table, the reserved IPS also show Expires Time of less than 24 hours like other IPs. If I make lease time to almost 7 days, they show 7 day expiration as well. Maybe just wrong info shown.
Last edited by lbmofo on Mon May 07, 2012 4:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#95642 by murphy
Mon May 07, 2012 3:52 pm
lbmofo wrote:Maybe due to how info is presented (or mis-represented), when I go into status - local network - DHCP client table, the reserved IPS also show Expires Time of less than 24 hours like other IPs.

They work exactly the same as a regular DHCP lease with the sole exception that the IP address will never change. The lease doesn't ever reach the expiration time. Whe the lease time drops to the 50% point the client renews the lease.
#95661 by lbmofo
Mon May 07, 2012 10:23 pm
murphy wrote:The lease doesn't ever reach the expiration time. Whe the lease time drops to the 50% point the client renews the lease.

Good to know.
#96594 by lbmofo
Fri Jun 01, 2012 4:10 pm
Been wondering about this for a while. See a lot of folks using AirPort Extreme. What's so good about it? Is it just because it is Apple? On the surface, it seems you can share plugged in USB drive (is it truly plug & play; meaning shared with PCs too without any client installs?) and plugged in printer (are compatible printers ubiquitous?).
#96689 by EX Bell
Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:02 pm
At one time it was a lot more compelling than it is today. As you point out, the USB drive can be shared via SAMBA and there is no need for additional client software, but I don't think that's a unique feature to AirPort Extreme anymore. The other features like dual band antennas and guest access are found on many high-end routers at a fraction of the cost.

If you have a Macintosh running Leopard 10.5 or later, the Time Capsule is a good product. Essentially an AirPort Extreme, but with a built in HDD (current models are 2TB or 3TB) and allow wireless backup using their Time Machine application. It is the best, worry-free backup solution I know of. There are other manufactures that give you the native Time Machine support on a Mac, but they are much more expensive than Time Capsule. You can also add another HDD to the USB port and it can also be used as an independent backup drive. Additionally, either the internal or an externally connected USB 2.0 drive can be accessed wirelessly for storage by either Mac or PC (via SAMBA) the same as is possible with AirPort Extreme. The Time Capsule can also be accessed from the cloud, but with the introduction of iCloud, this requires the user have Mac OS Lion 10.7 or later.

As routers go, they are very reliable and while they have some very nice features and a good user interface, they are lacking when compared with other less expensive routers on the market. No QoS on any Apple router is a big disadvantage for an Ooma user that wants to put their Telo or Hub behind the router. It's the primary reason a Cisco router is controlling traffic to my Telo and Time Capsule. In regard to the USB printer sharing, they do support an extensive list of inkjet printers, but if you have a laser printer, you may be out of luck. I have a separate Netgear printer server I had to buy, because despite support that was added with firmware updates, the Time Capsule never gained support for my Samsung SCX-4521F.
#96972 by EX Bell
Thu Jun 14, 2012 2:55 pm
My understanding is the new design does not suffer from this issue. I have installed one for a client on top of a china hutch and she has not had any issues.
#96976 by EX Bell
Thu Jun 14, 2012 4:04 pm
No alternate firmware support and might not be any, but if that's not an issue for you, it's a very good router at a good price. I'd pick one up myself if I was in the market for a new router. The interface is much better that previous generation as well. No more weirdness between the wizard and the internal advanced user GUI. The USB key setup feature works well now too. It used to get messed up whenever you used the advanced user GUI, but that's been fixed now.

E4200 is on sale for $110 new or refurbed for $98. Both free shipping. E4200 is the TOL consumer WiFi router and is supported by DD-WRT.
#96980 by lbmofo
Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:19 pm
Thanks EX Bell for your pointers on Liksys routers. I've looked at some reviews and such and decided I want the Linksys Maximum Performance Dual-Band N900 Router (E4200 v2) I've initiated a price watch on CamelCamelCamel to see if I can get a deal.

Update: upon further review, the v2 is worse in wifi performance if not 450mpbs clients; both bands worse. NAS is a lot better on the v2 but some folks may not want to use NAS feature.