Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#93991 by EX Bell
Wed Mar 14, 2012 5:03 pm
I've been perplexed by these reports of poor results from people with Belkin routers so much that I bought model N600DB, which offers QoS so that I could figure out the best way to set one up to perform well with my Ooma Telo. The N750 is the only other current Belkin router in the F9K11xx series that has QoS available. You must have a router that supports QoS (Quality of Service) if you are installing your Ooma Telo after the router. What I found was this router really doesn't perform all that well with the Ooma Telo. Now if you have one of these two routers and yours is after the Ooma Telo, you might be getting fine results. That's not what I set out to explain how to do with these instructions. This is for a configuraiton of Modem>Router>Ooma, which I and may other's have found is a better configuration for the Telo than putting the Telo in-between the modem and your router. These instructions are also not intended to replace the router manual. You need to know how to use your own router to follow these steps, or have a good amount of knowledge of consumer routers in general, otherwise you may have problems following this setup guide.

As far as the reports of slow internet speed when these routers are connected to an Ooma Telo, I experienced no speed issue (although since moving to dry-loop DSL my internet connection is only 6Mb/s anyway). However, the overall performance and firmware of this router is crap. These routers are too expensive for what you get out of them. I also found that when this router is acting as a DHCP server and the Telo is first connected to it, the Telo requires a reboot (unplug for 2 minutes), otherwise it won't ring through to the number you are phoning. If the router has DHCP disabled and you set a static IP and public DNS on the Telo, it will ring through, but there is a delay the first time. This strange behavior is completely related to the Belkin router. When I connect the Telo to my Cisco Linksys router, it doesn't have any of these idiosyncrasies and functions perfectly.

The configuration I've documented is the only one that gave me half-decent voice quality from this router, but because it's so lacking in basic features that just about every other router on the market has, you will have to disable DHCP and setup all your devices with static IP addresses and a public DNS to achieve the half-decent result from the Telo. The QoS of this router is also not functioning that well. It limits the speed, but doesn't significantly improve the voice quality. The performance is so poor, I was able to determine that this was an inadequate router in just a few hours of testing. When I plugged my Telo back into my Cisco router, it functioned normally almost instantly and call quality is excellent again.

I've posted the link to my recommended configuration for the two current top level Belkin routers in the interest of helping those that cannot afford a new router, to at least get half-decent quality from what they have, but I cannot recommend anyone buy or keep these Belkin routers for use with Ooma. If you can afford $20-$50 for a refurbished router, get a Cisco Linksys WRT160N v3, WRT320N, an E2000 or for the same price I just paid for this Belkin N600DB, you can get a Cisco Linksys E3000 (best router for less than $100).

PDF Download: Belkin router setup for Ooma
#93996 by EX Bell
Wed Mar 14, 2012 6:13 pm
I didn't want to suggest anyone disable a firewall in their router that will serve the other devices in their house. It does seem to be the firewall on the Belkin routers that causes part of the grief, that's why I suggested the DMZ for the Telo. However, even with the Telo in the DMZ, the performance is weak. Additionally, the Belkin only lets you define DMZ by IP, so to eliminate the issues that would arrise if the router was distributing DHCP, I thought is best to recommend the use of static IP with those routers instead.

Now the better idea is to buy a Cisco Linksys router like you have done. Yes this form factor runs hot in general. I have an E2000 positioned behind my HTPC exactly as you described to cool by convection. I've had no noticeable issues with performance, but according to the DD-WRT forum members, the performance of this form factor does suffer if it's allowed to get too hot, and I can attest to this. We have one at work that we use to have a wireless connection that we control during trade shows. In the last two trade shows, we have mounted it vertically and that has resolved network slowing that we experience when it used to get burried in a cabinet sitting horizontal. My WRT160Nv3 is sitting horizontally, but I have done a similar modification as suggested here by the DD-WRT forum members.