Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#93754 by Cyberchat
Wed Mar 07, 2012 8:02 am
FX4 wrote:I needed some fairly extensive traffic engineering to make the network run the way I wanted. It needs to support the following:
1. Web surfing
2. HD streaming at 1080P for at least two simultaneous streams.
3. VoIP (Ooma) while streaming television/movies without interruption.
4. The ability to rate limit other traffic so it does not interfere with video streaming and phone calls.
5. VPNs (I can access my home network while traveling)
6. OpenDNS (So I don't have to purchase a fixed IP address)

FX4,

It looks like you've designed and implemented a very flexible and well-thought-out home network. Its a good example of how a residential network should be approached to handle today's multi-media world.

Similarly, we had a pair of Leviton Structured Media Center (SMC) panels installed in our new house which was built about three years ago. There are data, TV and power outlets in every room where a LAN, phone, video or other data connection might be necessary. It took a pair of SMC panels to terminate all of our end-point connections. We used Cat-5e for all data wiring to all of our data jacks. This allows us to utilize any data jack for any data purpose (WAN, shared-LAN, DMZ-LAN, DSL-LAN, Cable-LAN, phone lines 1&2, 3&4, security dial-out, ...). The SMC patch panels are utilized to route data signals to any end point as needed.

For example, if today we want to locate our router on the 2nd-floor to get the best wireless signal dispersion, we can run the WAN service to the gigabit router and then run the LAN service back to a gigibit switch(es) located at the SMC and then patch it into as many other end-points as we desire. Tomorrow, for example a similar scenario might apply to the OOMA Telo box where we might want the Telo box on a desk in the 1st-floor Den but we want to hook up the OOMA as Modem/OOMA/Router (you need at least three data ports in your den to do this, i.e., WAN, LAN, phone-distribution). There's a need to plan on as many data ports at an end point as will be needed to cover all of the desired data functions at a specific end point (WAN, shared-LAN, DMZ-LAN, DSL-WAN/LAN, Cable-WAN/LAN, phone lines 1&2, 3&4, ...).

What I've described might sound like extreme overkill, but if you're running a small business from your home or perhaps have family members returning to the nest to be co-resident then using the SMC patch panels can make it much easier to segment your data signalling in many different perhaps unanticipated ways.

We have a bunch of other signalling (analog/digital video, remote control sensors/emmiters, sound/speakers/volume controls, ...) routed through our SMC's which makes it much easier to maintain data signalling over time as technologies change.
#93757 by FX4
Wed Mar 07, 2012 9:39 am
That is a nice setup you have in your home. My builder put structured wiring in but only one line to each room. It's all cat5E but it is limited to one line per room. I really wish builders in general grasped today's multimedia home. It's not put a cable jack here, a phone jack there, or just run Ethernet to each room and let the owner figure it out. Fortunately between coax cable and Ethernet I had enough infrastructure wiring to make it all work to my satisfaction without much compromise.