Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#93581 by armed88
Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:06 am
After a power outage the other day my Ooma box will not load up. Every other device on my network works fine and as desired but the Ooma box wont connect to my modem behind anything or directly. After doing a reset of the Ooma box, with it connected solely to the modem i can web to http://172.27.35.1 but ONLY if I static my laptop to http://172.27.35.2 and connect it to the "Home" port. If I leave my laptop on DHCP...it wont get an ip from the Ooma box. Likewise, my modem physically shows that it is connected to the Ooma box (ie link/activity) and the Ooma box shows link and activity but neither device will show in their status that either one is there. Even if I static my laptop, connect to the Ooma box and get into the setup, ANY changes from enabling or disabling bluetooth to ip changes are received with the "Settings Saved" messages but they never take. Changing the ip of the Ooma box just knocks me off and no matter what I do...I cant get back in unless i do the reset procedure again.
Can somebody shed some light on this?

Ooma Telo Version Version: 52474
#93583 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 03, 2012 6:52 am
armed88 wrote:After a power outage the other day my Ooma box will not load up. Every other device on my network works fine and as desired but the Ooma box wont connect to my modem behind anything or directly. After doing a reset of the Ooma box, with it connected solely to the modem i can web to http://172.27.35.1 but ONLY if I static my laptop to http://172.27.35.2 and connect it to the "Home" port. If I leave my laptop on DHCP...it wont get an ip from the Ooma box. Likewise, my modem physically shows that it is connected to the Ooma box (ie link/activity) and the Ooma box shows link and activity but neither device will show in their status that either one is there. Even if I static my laptop, connect to the Ooma box and get into the setup, ANY changes from enabling or disabling bluetooth to ip changes are received with the "Settings Saved" messages but they never take. Changing the ip of the Ooma box just knocks me off and no matter what I do...I cant get back in unless i do the reset procedure again.
Can somebody shed some light on this?

Ooma Telo Version Version: 52474

When you say reset, are you doing this procedure? If you are just doing a reboot, do this procedure, then test.
Ooma Telo Factory Reset:
(Must have the Ooma dial tone for this to work).
Dial *#*#099 on the phone attached to Telo to issue a factory reset.
A recording will come on the line and ask if you really want to do a factory reset. Press 1 for yes, and press 2 or hang up for no. After pressing 1, you will hear a busy signal. After hanging up, the number 1 light stays lit yellow on the face of the Ooma Telo. After a short period of time, only the number 1 & 2 lights remain lit blue. Then after more time, the Ooma Telo goes into the boot sequence, and comes back on line.

If you are using an Ooma Wi-Fi dongle, you have to access Ooma Setup and rescan for the Wi-Fi network before a Wi-Fi connection can be made. The same is true for DSL, if you have to enter Connection type PPoE and a Name and Password for the Internet provider connection. You will have to reset MAC address to Use Built In, reset your Quality of Service Upstream/Downstream Internet Speed settings, and Bluetooth settings if you are using Ooma’s USB Bluetooth dongle. You may have to re-register the Ooma Telo handsets, see procedure later in text.

Note: Sometimes the *#*#099 command has to be issued three or four times, before the factory reset sequence starts and is completed.
#93584 by armed88
Sat Mar 03, 2012 7:46 am
I tried that about 30 times. I sometimes hear a click on the phone but I never get the recording. What I do is...

1. Unplug the Telo power cord for 30 seconds, then plug back in.

2. As the Telo begins its startup, the 1 & 2 buttons will light up for a short while, followed briefly by the trash and envelope buttons, and then the bottom row of buttons will begin to flash in a scrolling sequence, which will continue approximately 28 times.

3. At the end of the blue flashing bottom row period, the Ooma logo will begin to flash red - IMMEDIATELY hold down the "stop" and "trash" buttons and the Ooma logo will alternatively flash red and blue. Continue to hold down the "stop" and "trash" buttons until the logo turns solid red and then goes out. After the logo goes out release the buttons and the Telo will restart.

I then connect laptop with straight cable to the "Home" Port.
Configure laptop with static IP of 172.27.35.2, SN of 255.255.255.0 and DO NOT PUT A GATEWAY in. If I specify the gateway on the laptop as the IP of the ooma box it wont let me in.
I can then open a web browser and connect to http://172.27.35.1 BUT it doesnt accept anything I do.
#93588 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:00 am
armed88 wrote:I tried that about 30 times. I sometimes hear a click on the phone but I never get the recording. What I do is...

1. Unplug the Telo power cord for 30 seconds, then plug back in.

2. As the Telo begins its startup, the 1 & 2 buttons will light up for a short while, followed briefly by the trash and envelope buttons, and then the bottom row of buttons will begin to flash in a scrolling sequence, which will continue approximately 28 times.

3. At the end of the blue flashing bottom row period, the Ooma logo will begin to flash red - IMMEDIATELY hold down the "stop" and "trash" buttons and the Ooma logo will alternatively flash red and blue. Continue to hold down the "stop" and "trash" buttons until the logo turns solid red and then goes out. After the logo goes out release the buttons and the Telo will restart.

I then connect laptop with straight cable to the "Home" Port.
Configure laptop with static IP of 172.27.35.2, SN of 255.255.255.0 and DO NOT PUT A GATEWAY in. If I specify the gateway on the laptop as the IP of the ooma box it wont let me in.
I can then open a web browser and connect to http://172.27.35.1 BUT it doesnt accept anything I do.

After repowering the Ooma Telo, do you get the Blue Ooma symbol and can you hear the Ooma dial tone?

Next time you try to access Ooma Setup, don't use a Static IP address in the computer. Instead right click on the My Network Places icon, then click on properties. The Network Places window opens. Right click on Local Area Connection. Then left click on Status. The Local Area Connection window opens. Click on the Support tab at the top of the Local Are Connection window. Then click on repair and see if the correct Home port address IP numbers come up. In they don't come up correctly, go into Ooma Setup the way you did before.

Just for my information, what were you useing for a Home port Gateway? It should be 172.27.35.1 .

When accessing Ooma Setup, click on the Internet tab. The Internet Settings page opens. Following the words Connection Type: click on the down arrow and select Dynamic (DHCP). Go down the page a little and following INTERNET Port MAC Address: change from Automatic to Use Built In. Click on Update Device at the bottom of the page. If you don't have success, click on Reset at the bottom of the page. Reboot the Ooma Telo and test. If you have success here, try to do the Ooma Telo Factory Reset using a phone connected to the Ooma Telo.
#93590 by armed88
Sat Mar 03, 2012 10:37 am
No blue symbol and no dial tone. It will either go through the ramping for a long while and either stop at solid blue "1" and "2" or the buttons in the top right stay on.

Yes I was specifing 172.27.35.1 as the gateway on my laptop but if I do that, it wont connect to the ooma box at all. Only way it works is with an ip of 172.27.35.2, SN: 255.255.255.0, and no gateway.

I just did what you said....after hitting update the box kicked me out...then rebooted twice. After the second reboot, without any config changes to my laptop I was able to get back in the box. I didnt power cycle it. When I got back into it, everything was set back to "Automatic" again.

I am REALLY thinking about introuducing this unit to my firearms collection. The thing is about 1 month over a year old and here is is...a really neat looking paperwork. I am sure if I get a new one...they will charge me a small fortune to deativate this one and activate the new one.
#93593 by thunderbird
Sat Mar 03, 2012 1:03 pm
armed88 wrote:No blue symbol and no dial tone. It will either go through the ramping for a long while and either stop at solid blue "1" and "2" or the buttons in the top right stay on.

Yes I was specifing 172.27.35.1 as the gateway on my laptop but if I do that, it wont connect to the ooma box at all. Only way it works is with an ip of 172.27.35.2, SN: 255.255.255.0, and no gateway.

I just did what you said....after hitting update the box kicked me out...then rebooted twice. After the second reboot, without any config changes to my laptop I was able to get back in the box. I didnt power cycle it. When I got back into it, everything was set back to "Automatic" again.

I am REALLY thinking about introuducing this unit to my firearms collection. The thing is about 1 month over a year old and here is is...a really neat looking paperwork. I am sure if I get a new one...they will charge me a small fortune to deativate this one and activate the new one.

Yes you are right, it sounds like this Ooma Telo's life is over. I know that in the past, with a problem like this, an Ooma Forum member removed power for a day. Then repowered the Ooma device it worked. But I'm sure that is a long shot.

I've heard of people putting their electronic device in the refrigerator freezer for a few hours, being careful not to get the electronic device wet, then plugging it in and sometimes it worked???

One last thing, in the past when the Ooma device was just past the one year warranty period, Ooma would replace the Ooma under warranty if the person would purchase the extended warranty???
#93599 by EX Bell
Sat Mar 03, 2012 5:43 pm
Man that sucks. The number of times that's happened to me is sickening. Thunderbird's suggestion is good. I've had a few electronics manufacturers come through when I purchased the extended warranty, even though it was past the expiration date. Worth a shot, and only $40 for the 1 year extended.

Just curious, did you have your Telo power adapter plugged into a surge protector? I've got mine plugged into one, but wonding if I shouldn't put it on a UPS sooner than later.