Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#7925 by dknott123
Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:33 am
It'd be nice to have the lounge login be a user definable instead of the phone number. Currently, you (1) have to remember this new number, while you wait for your old number to port and (2) If you change numbers later, you have to learn a new number for login.

My login at my bank isn't my account number. It doesn't matter how many accounts I add or delete at my bank, they are all associated with my login that never changes.

The user should pick a unique ID (hopefully they choose wisely) that Ooma can then associate with our account as the master for all of our transactions.

I don't need to learn YAAN (yet another account name).
#7928 by southsound
Sat Apr 18, 2009 8:52 am
So when someone asks, "Can I have your phone number?" you have to say, sorry, I don't know it?? I think it is reasonable to assume that most of us know our phone number and if not, have it written down somewhere that lets us look it up easily. It's not like they are tying it to some obscure prime number you will never use. It's YOUR PHONE NUMBER! Also, you can click the little box next to "remember my info" and it will come up automatically.

Sorry to sound so terse in a reply to your first post. Welcome to the forum! You will find a lot of nice, helpful people here. Even if we do sound harsh ocasionally. :)
#7931 by dknott123
Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:37 am
Why apologize? Wouldn't it be easier to word it less adversarial to begin with? Nevertheless, I've been on the tubes long enough to not let little things bother me and to understand that tone can be difficult to communicate in a non-verbal medium.

In response to your points, I have a couple of things to offer.

First, consider that people may have multiple numbers. We may even have multiple Ooma devices. The Ooma number may not be our primary number and as such, isn't the one I would tell someone to call.

When I leave home, I don't want to carry scraps of paper with my account numbers on it.

If I check the "remember me" box, how is that going to help when I'm away from trusted computers? I wouldn't check "remember me" on a public or shared computer.

The current way removes choice from the customer. The suggested way allows customers to do the same thing they've been doing or another way that may be easier for them. The point is that they should have that choice.

Having the account be a phone number doesn't add security. Once a customer gives their number to someone, that's half way to the login. If a customer chose their password poorly, it's not tough to get into the account.

The traditional telcos have limited vision... why should Ooma?
#7935 by southsound
Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:57 am
Wayne,

Thanks! Could I have you send an email to my wife, my kids, my neighbors, people I've met recently and people I may someday meet with those kind words?

Hope your day is going great. We have SUN here on the island so it is time to go out and till some dirt.
#8042 by Bobby B
Mon Apr 20, 2009 9:00 am
I think we'll probably support usernames hopefully some time this year. Sprint PCS used to have phone numbers as the sign-in, but they switched to usernames a couple years back. I'm not too sure why they made the switch.

I've been pushing to get ooma usernames for:

1. Single sign-on for lounge, forums, blog and any other ooma community-based sites in the future (ex: support wiki or blacklist sharing)
2. Username-enabled referral program
3. Easier to troubleshoot problems on a public forum (given that you don't need to share personal info like your MAC ID or your phone number when you're having issues)