Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#92849 by raincity
Fri Feb 10, 2012 2:23 pm
azism wrote: I don't think that there would be that many Ooma users who would be willing to enter into a class action suit, that is unless there are a lot more people affected than I can imagine. :shock:

The way class actions suits work is a bit different than one would think. After it is certified as a class action, people part of the class have to OPT OUT of the suit, rather than opt in. The lawyers are supposed to (but very often don't) notify all members of the class of the proposed settlement and a lack of response from you automatically includes you in the settlement.

I would expect that there would be hundreds of thousands of Ooma customers that currently don't pay fees, so the number of affected users automatically included in any class action suit might be greater than you'd imagine.
#98489 by letssueooma
Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:09 pm
I have had Ooma for a couple of years now and have always had the ability to block unwanted callers with my basic service. They have recently made this a premier feature. Does anyone know the legality of this?
#98491 by murphy
Wed Aug 01, 2012 6:17 pm
letssueooma wrote:I have had Ooma for a couple of years now and have always had the ability to block unwanted callers with my basic service. They have recently made this a premier feature. Does anyone know the legality of this?

It has always been a Premier feature.
It apparently wasn't disabled when your free trial of Premier expired.
#98501 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 02, 2012 7:28 am
murphy wrote:
letssueooma wrote:I have had Ooma for a couple of years now and have always had the ability to block unwanted callers with my basic service. They have recently made this a premier feature. Does anyone know the legality of this?

It has always been a Premier feature.
It apparently wasn't disabled when your free trial of Premier expired.

This happened to others as well: viewtopic.php?f=8&t=13825&start=10#p97596
#98983 by roadshow
Fri Aug 10, 2012 6:39 pm
I recently talked to support, and inquired about upgrading from my OOMA Core Hub/Scout to a Telo through OOMA's upgrade process. This was supposed to allow you to keep your Core status and no taxes. The support person said that option is no longer availsble. I was surprised. I know people who have upgraded in the past and still pay no taxes. I am hoping that the support person is wrong. I sent amail to info@ooma.com asking to clarify, but have not received a response. Perhaps one of the mods can clarify this. I never received a notification that this option was eliminated.
#98990 by dsinternet
Sat Aug 11, 2012 5:05 am
I joined tax free back in 2009, but now I pay about $4 per month in taxes. Ooma sent me an email back in 2011 saying that I would need to pay for taxes. My wife and I talked and agreed that it would be worth the $4 since we both like Ooma and want to see this company succeed, and we have been paying it since. This company is always trying to improve and I am happy to throw my $4 plus Premier in each month. Keep up the good work Ooma.
#99018 by roadshow
Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:38 am
Here is the information I have from the Telo upgrade. Any mods out there know if this is still an option?

Ooma Hub to Telo Upgrade Program

If you're a Premier subscriber and currently own the Ooma Hub device, you can take advantage of our Ooma Hub to Telo upgrade program by visiting https://my.ooma.com/telo_upgrade. The Ooma Telo we ship to you will be pre-configured to work with your existing Ooma account right out of the box. Simply install the new Ooma Telo in place of your Ooma Hub and you'll be ready to take advantage of all the features Telo has to offer - PureVoice, Bluetooth support, Google Voice Extensions and the Ooma Telo Handset.

Q: What happens to my Premier subscription?
A: The Ooma Telo will take over your existing account and all services include Premier, International Calling Bundle, Enhanced Voicemail and Voice-to-Text will be automatically transferred to the new device. Your My Ooma Account->Services page will look exactly the same after the Ooma Telo upgrade takes place.

Q: What happens to my taxes and fees status?
A: The Ooma Telo will inherit whatever taxes and fees (or tax exemptions) that are associated with your Ooma Hub. This does not change when you upgrade to the Telo using this program.

Q: I have Lifetime Premier. Does that transfer to the Telo?
A: Yes.

Q: How about my warranty?
A: Your new Ooma Telo will come with a standard one-year warranty. Any extended warranty on your old device (the Ooma Hub) will no longer be in effect.

Q: Do I need to activate the Telo device?
A: No, do not go through the activation procedure with the Ooma Telo device you receive. It has been pre-configured to take over your existing account and just needs to be plugged in.

Q: I plugged in the Ooma Telo in place of my Ooma Hub and it is not working. What could be wrong?
A: If you had configured a static IP address or any other custom network settings, they need to be re-configured on the Ooma Telo. From a computer plugged into the HOME NETWORK port of the Ooma Telo, you may access the setup page at the same URL as the Hub: http://setup.ooma.com

Q: What happens to my Ooma Hub?
A: Your Ooma Hub will be deactivated after the installation of your Ooma Telo and will no longer function. You can give the Ooma Hub to someone else and they'll be able to reactivate it for $79.99. This reactivated Ooma Hub will come with the "Basic" tier of service and a new 60-day trial of Ooma Premier. Once re-activated, the device will be subject to our new terms and conditions.
#100950 by flew-d-coop
Mon Oct 01, 2012 12:43 pm
roadshow wrote:Here is the information I have from the Telo upgrade. Any mods out there know if this is still an option?

Ooma Hub to Telo Upgrade Program

If you're a Premier subscriber and currently own the Ooma Hub device, you can take advantage of our Ooma Hub to Telo upgrade program by visiting https://my.ooma.com/telo_upgrade. The Ooma Telo we ship to you will be pre-configured to work with your existing Ooma account right out of the box. Simply install the new Ooma Telo in place of your Ooma Hub and you'll be ready to take advantage of all the features Telo has to offer - PureVoice, Bluetooth support, Google Voice Extensions and the Ooma Telo Handset.

Q: What happens to my Premier subscription?
A: The Ooma Telo will take over your existing account and all services include Premier, International Calling Bundle, Enhanced Voicemail and Voice-to-Text will be automatically transferred to the new device. Your My Ooma Account->Services page will look exactly the same after the Ooma Telo upgrade takes place.

Q: What happens to my taxes and fees status?
A: The Ooma Telo will inherit whatever taxes and fees (or tax exemptions) that are associated with your Ooma Hub. This does not change when you upgrade to the Telo using this program.

Q: I have Lifetime Premier. Does that transfer to the Telo?
A: Yes.

Q: How about my warranty?
A: Your new Ooma Telo will come with a standard one-year warranty. Any extended warranty on your old device (the Ooma Hub) will no longer be in effect.

Q: Do I need to activate the Telo device?
A: No, do not go through the activation procedure with the Ooma Telo device you receive. It has been pre-configured to take over your existing account and just needs to be plugged in.

Q: I plugged in the Ooma Telo in place of my Ooma Hub and it is not working. What could be wrong?
A: If you had configured a static IP address or any other custom network settings, they need to be re-configured on the Ooma Telo. From a computer plugged into the HOME NETWORK port of the Ooma Telo, you may access the setup page at the same URL as the Hub: http://setup.ooma.com

Q: What happens to my Ooma Hub?
A: Your Ooma Hub will be deactivated after the installation of your Ooma Telo and will no longer function. You can give the Ooma Hub to someone else and they'll be able to reactivate it for $79.99. This reactivated Ooma Hub will come with the "Basic" tier of service and a new 60-day trial of Ooma Premier. Once re-activated, the device will be subject to our new terms and conditions.

Going on three weeks without a response from a mod.
The website https://my.ooma.com/telo_upgrade doesn't exist.
I've grown tired of searching and must conclude that this offer is discontinued.

I dread the day my core system dies and I need to find out if my "Premier, Lifetime Subscription" is transferable.
#101075 by allo
Thu Oct 04, 2012 9:07 pm
...I don't think that there would be that many Ooma users who would be willing to enter into a class action suit, that is unless there are a lot more people affected than I can imagine...

Generally it is not the people affected who initiate the Class Action Suit but by hungry/greedy lawyers who end up with the biggest share if there is a settlement.
I don't think the bad publicity which comes with such an action suit will help Ooma's reputation/standing in the future... if they decide to renege on the terms of the contract they entered with their customers when they sold them the equipment and service.