Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#92752 by raincity
Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:38 pm
I've owned a Ooma hub for years and have never paid monthy charges beyond the premier upgrade fee. I've come across recent posts on various other consumer sites saying that according to Ooma customer service, Ooma intends to start charging customers that currently pay no taxes or fees those monthly charges, despite our existing grandfathered agreement with Ooma.

Is there any truth to this information?
Last edited by raincity on Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:51 pm, edited 5 times in total.
#92782 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:57 pm
I don't work for Ooma and I don't know what's coming in the future.

However, I do know that folks that were paying yearly taxes are being converted to paying monthly taxes; this does not impact Core customers that do not pay taxes.

A thread for your reading pleasure: viewtopic.php?t=7842
#92792 by JCWaldo
Thu Feb 09, 2012 6:21 am
I've had the Hub for over a while now, purchasing it before the tax pass-through was announced. I took a chance on the continued viability of Ooma and purchased a Lifetime Subscription to Premier, which definitely seems to have paid off.

I've tried to convert my family to Ooma, but particularly with the new somewhat larger charges for taxes/fees (and these days I just think of them as fees since Ooma isn't required by the government to pass them on), they don't buy it. They have a triple-play with Comcast and phone service adds a pretty marginal cost to their monthly service (around $15 a month with their package). When you figure in the current cost of Premier and the fact that fees will inevitably rise again, they just don't feel it makes sense to purchase an expensive piece of equipment. Ooma has stopped being a disruptive "free" technology and has moved to competing head on with VOIP from the big communications companies (and more power to them if they can achieve better viability and revenues that way).

I'm obviously in the barrel with Ooma and have been glad of it. I will be disappointed if they stop grandfathering us in on fees given that that was what I was promised when I purchased the Hub. I researched this pretty closely and might not have bought it if I thought it would be subject to fees in the future (I would at least have spent a lot more time modeling the savings versus Comcast/Verizon). Those of us who purchased back then were taking a bet on the viability of this company and helped them through their difficult "re-boot" period. We took a chance that we were purchasing a $450 paperweight ($250 for the Hub and I think ~$200 for the Lifetime Subscription). Ooma stopped promising truly free service with the Telo, and so I don't think their reputation suffers for charging those users higher fees from time to time (no promises were made). However, their reputation does take a hit if they break a promise to their early adapters.

Hopefully this rumour is just that and not a test to see how upset grandfathered customers would be if fees were added. I'd assume Ooma would do a cost/benefit analysis here to look at how much revenue they are foregoing versus the hit to their reputation through media as well as the inevitable class-action lawsuit (which would probably be settled for a few months free Premier or a year's worth of fees, plus the inevitable 20-40% lawyer fees - and that's speaking as a lawyer). I really want to like this company, and they've done so great things, but also some bone-headed things (like removing voicemail for a period from the "free" service).
#92795 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 09, 2012 9:38 am
JCWaldo wrote:They have a triple-play with Comcast and phone service adds a pretty marginal cost to their monthly service (around $15 a month with their package).

May warrant a closer look. All my friends that had Comcast triple play (after promotional price of $99.99 is over) & dropped Comcast phone tells me they are saving $35 or so a month on their Comcast bill.
#92807 by azism
Thu Feb 09, 2012 2:49 pm
JCWaldo wrote:I've had the Hub for over a while now, purchasing it before the tax pass-through was announced. I took a chance on the continued viability of Ooma and purchased a Lifetime Subscription to Premier, which definitely seems to have paid off.

I am the same way as JCWaldo, a Lifetime Premier member. Strange that no one from Ooma who understands the situation doesn't come in here and clarify the question. :o

The worst part is we can't even get a replacement Hub or Scout anymore except via Amazon and they are priced way too high for my budget.
#92812 by davidm
Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:27 pm
They have started changing yearly fee paying customers into monthly fee paying customers as stated. They sneakily did this to people over the last year notifying them 1 month prior to their anniversary date to minimize any sudden backlash so it was spread out over time. On top of this just this month they raised the monthly fees for many people anywhere from $.30 to $1 or more. Now I am having to pay $4.50 a month. That doesn't seem bad but don't forget that many of us paid $250 for this device plus it uses our internet connection which we pay for.

I'm able to drop my internet service to the "lite" package and save $20 / month. If you figure in that $20 + $4.50 ooma charges I could probably just get a normal landline. The only reason I paid for the standard internet package was mainly due to Ooma. I'm seriously rethinking things now... Maybe Magicjack or perhaps a Landline. We'll see. It's not an excellent deal anymore. It's just "okay". The call quality (delays, strange beeps, inconsistent caller ID, odd periods of downtime or misdirected calls) hasn't been comparable to a landline for some time but it was okay when it was $1 a month....now....it starts to be more of an issue when I am paying more.
#92813 by raincity
Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:34 pm
azism wrote:Strange that no one from Ooma who understands the situation doesn't come in here and clarify the question. :o

In my experience when companies don't quickly respond to questions like these it is because they aren't ready to acknowledge an upcoming policy change that will anger their customers.

When customers aren't paying a monthly fee of any kind I would guess that Ooma would be more than happy to lose them. People like me ARE paying for Premier and if they start tacking on other fees I'll drop Ooma like a rock. The other problem is that charging fees when you have previously explicitly guaranteed not to will most assuredly lead to a class action lawsuit.
#92837 by azism
Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:24 am
raincity wrote:In my experience when companies don't quickly respond to questions like these it is because they aren't ready to acknowledge an upcoming policy change that will anger their customers.

When customers aren't paying a monthly fee of any kind I would guess that Ooma would be more than happy to lose them. People like me ARE paying for Premier and if they start tacking on other fees I'll drop Ooma like a rock. The other problem is that charging fees when you have previously explicitly guaranteed not to will most assuredly lead to a class action lawsuit.

I don't think that there would be that many Ooma users who would be willing to enter into a class action suit, that is unless there are a lot more people affected than I can imagine. :shock:

Anyway, after paying a hefty amount for the Premier Lifetime subscription (did so before I retired) I would view things a whole lot differently if I had to start paying an annual or a monthly fee. :!:

It's bad enough that they no longer support to any real degree the Hub and Scout setup like I have. Now I find out I can't even purchase them via Ooma. I can via Amazon for outrageous sums of case. :(