Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#92743 by jayjay8382
Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:16 pm
I purchased Ooma recently and was hoping for a better initial experience.

Activation was fine however I had a few problems and found instructions lacking in details:

1) My voicemail took 3 days to activate after contacting customer support.

2) I am used to dailing 10 digits to making a local and long distance call on cell phones, however no mention in the "quick start" instructions that 10 digit dialing does not work. It took a call to customer service and a change in my preferences to figure out this problem. I don't care if I have to dial 1 first, but at least have that in the instructions and "this call can't be completed at this time" while dialing.

3) No mention in the instructions what all the buttons on the unit represented. Most are self explaining, but not all. Now I had to get online and search randomly to finally figure out a few buttons.

Sadly, my mother wants to try ditching her local phone for VOIP but I cannot recommend Ooma right now to her. She'd spend an hour on the phone with me asking questions instead of having an easy setup. Hopefully these issues are fixed quickly.

Jason
#92746 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:24 pm
Besides Ooma looking into your feedback, wouldn't your mother be in a better place since her son already knows what to do?
#92747 by jayjay8382
Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:31 pm
I also forgot to mention that Ooma automatically signs me up for Ooma Premiere and I have to manually cancel that account in order not to be charged. I didn't ask to sign up, I just activated my account and was automatically set to Ooma Premiere.
#92749 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:33 pm
jayjay8382 wrote:I also forgot to mention that Ooma automatically signs me up for Ooma Premiere and I have to manually cancel that account in order not to be charged. I didn't ask to sign up, I just activated my account and was automatically set to Ooma Premiere.

For this one, Ooma website tells you about opting out before your free trial of Premier ends on one of the interactive screens during activation process.
#92755 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 08, 2012 2:41 pm
jayjay8382 wrote:Should be an opt-in!

I hear you. Most free trials are done this way though such as credit card protection program, travel club, magazine subscription etc.
#93955 by FX4
Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:26 pm
Wow it sounds to me like you are better suited paying the monthly phone bill. Clearly you do not like being your own IT person. As information technology things go Ooma is pretty darn easy.
#93956 by jayjay8382
Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:38 pm
What is with all the Ooma snobbishness on the forums? Can't handle critique? Figured it out and I moved on, definitely unsubscribing from this post.
#93958 by FX4
Tue Mar 13, 2012 6:47 pm
I think I was attempting to politely say that your expectations are a little unrealistic. You are asking for better service from a basically free service (you buy the hardware, just like you used to do with Ma Bell) than most phone companies give you these days.