Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#92876 by dsinternet
Sat Feb 11, 2012 9:18 am
I have been a happy Ooma customer since 2009. I got the first year free of taxes. 2nd year I paid $12 per year. Now I am paying $4 per month. I have no problem with this. I am really happy with Ooma and I want to keep them as my phone provider for a long long time. So I don't want them to lose money trying to keep me as a customer. $4 per month is a lot better then the $24 + tax per month I was paying with Vonage back in 2008. I looked at the details that Ooma provides on their taxes and it less then what my mother in law pays in taxes for her land line. Nothing dishonest in my mind. Ooma's being smart. Keep up the good work Ooma and thinks for saving me hundreds of dollars over the last 2+ years.
#92878 by 2spirit
Sat Feb 11, 2012 10:17 am
Even a cursory glance through articles and documents on the subject (Google: VOIP taxes) reveals the tangled web of taxes, fees and regulations now being applied to providers and customers of VOIP. States, counties and even municipalities are all striving to recover lost revenue from customers leaving traditional phone service, so they have put VOIP square in their sights . . . even taking VOIP providers to court in some cases. (ex.: Baltimore vs. Vonage) In my opinion, Ooma should not be blamed for passing these additional taxes and expenses on to their customers . . . not to mention that my required monthly payment to Ooma is less than half the amount of taxes and fees I paid to Verizon for years! (In addition to Verizon's outrageous service charges.) I've been enjoying Ooma phone service for more than two years and I, for one, don't mind paying the government mandated charges assessed to my line. Plus I'm receiving great service and still saving money every month!
#92921 by turbo9
Sun Feb 12, 2012 11:59 am
In Ottawa, Canada, I used to pay about $0.25 for 911 every month. With Ooma, I pay $1.95 for 911 but save about $25 in the actual voice service. I guess I could complain that 911 is more expensive, but overall, I pay less.

I am more than happy to think that the $4 (there are other fees) I pay Ooma for 911 is my total monthly charge. I don't really care how Ooma splits the money. Besides, I would rather give Ooma some money and keep them operational. If they are supporting the entire system on the backs of one time $200 Telo sales, this is the same business model as a Ponzi scheme. Ponzi schemes always collapse when they can't find enough new clients to support the existing ones.
#92950 by jcanavera
Mon Feb 13, 2012 12:56 pm
2spirit wrote:Even a cursory glance through articles and documents on the subject (Google: VOIP taxes) reveals the tangled web of taxes, fees and regulations now being applied to providers and customers of VOIP. States, counties and even municipalities are all striving to recover lost revenue from customers leaving traditional phone service, so they have put VOIP square in their sights . . . even taking VOIP providers to court in some cases. (ex.: Baltimore vs. Vonage) In my opinion, Ooma should not be blamed for passing these additional taxes and expenses on to their customers . . . not to mention that my required monthly payment to Ooma is less than half the amount of taxes and fees I paid to Verizon for years! (In addition to Verizon's outrageous service charges.) I've been enjoying Ooma phone service for more than two years and I, for one, don't mind paying the government mandated charges assessed to my line. Plus I'm receiving great service and still saving money every month!

The other piece of the puzzle is the cost to maintain the fee information for all the various locales in the country and divvy it out properly. Our fees added to my telephone and cellular billing in my part of the country go from Federal, State, County, and finally Municipality. In the county I live in, there are almost 100 different government municipalities plus unincorporated areas. Now compound that across the country and figure the work and cost to maintain and submit payments to those entities.
#93178 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 20, 2012 8:05 pm
lbmofo wrote:I wouldn't go to them cheezy outfits like MagicJack and others because they do weird stuff that doesn't sit well with me (cuts your call off after so many minutes for example); besides the quality is terrible (had a gal at work call into conference using it she sounded like Max Headroom most of the time).

Wanted to show an example of thier cheesiness. Got multiple spam emails today all containing links to cheesiland:

livingmoment.net/jack
gloriouslife.net/jack
roosers.com/44818911r&275585729e&20520340c/
roosers.com/44816152r&275585729e&20518466c/