Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#92676 by spoiled99
Mon Feb 06, 2012 10:17 pm
I am paying Ooma $1.59 for a "911 Service Fee", and just received notice that, starting with my next bill, I will be hit with a $2.50 "Chicago city 911" fee and a $.24 "IL state utility tax". The Ooma fee states...

"Ooma uses this fee to recover its costs of providing 911 service
for Ooma customers as required by Federal Communications
Commission regulations."

If that's the case, then why am I paying TWO 911 fees??? :x :x :x
#92704 by lbmofo
Tue Feb 07, 2012 3:39 pm
GOING2MAGICJACK wrote:GOING TO MAGIC JACK. They have the same type of service for $5 per year.

Sorry to see you go; going from high quality service to subpar may need some getting used to.
#92708 by WJBertrand
Tue Feb 07, 2012 4:13 pm
Just got notice my fees and taxes are going from $3.47/mo. to $3.78/mo. a whopping 0.31 increase! I'd scream bloody 'ell but I'm still giggling from the $80- $100/mo. we're no longer paying to AT&T! ;)
#92809 by davidm
Thu Feb 09, 2012 3:11 pm
They appear to be doing this nationwide. First it was changing grandfathered customers from $11.xx a year to $3.xx a month. Now in my State, FL, that is going up to $4.50 a month. I really suspect that what is suddenly happening is that Ooma is looking for excuses to raise rates. It's EXACTLY what I was afraid of.

I'm seriously considering going to magic jack. Not just because of the $4.50 a month but because of the change now from $11.xx a year to $55 a year. And then what's next after that?? I really hate people being dishonest with me. Just be honest this isn't something that my local government suddenly changed. It's YOU -- Ooma suddenly deciding you want to collect it nationwide whereas before you absorbed the cost.

I suspect this is also why you went to collecting the taxes month to month - so you can raise them more often than just on the renewal date.
#92828 by lbmofo
Thu Feb 09, 2012 11:42 pm
Okay, here is what I am thinking. If you paid yearly taxes of $11.75, you must have seen this "subject to change" language printed on the box when you bought Ooma. So when the tax structure and amount changed, you can't be that upset.

I think folks shouldn't be upset until Ooma monthly taxes are higher than what a basic landline would charge in taxes. So far it is not.

As for figuring higher tier internet speed to cost of Ooma, I don't think that makes sense. I used to have DSL vs Cable internet to save some money. I couldn't stand the speed. Regular browsing was okay but anytime when I had to download some big file, it was like watching paint dry. It was very painful to wait for all my apps to update in iTunes for example. No going back for me. I have higher speed internet because I wanted to so I don't figure the cost of internet to Ooma.

The way I look at it. You buy an Ooma device for $200 some bucks, get free service for the life of the device. Excellent deal as long as your device lasts. Nationwide unlimited calling with lots of features for free with excellent quality. Can't beat that; like a Vonage bill but $0 for service other than the taxes section; this happens month after month as long as your device works. I wouldn't go to them cheezy outfits like MagicJack and others because they do weird stuff that doesn't sit well with me (cuts your call off after so many minutes for example); besides the quality is terrible (had a gal at work call into conference using it she sounded like Max Headroom most of the time).
#92831 by davidm
Fri Feb 10, 2012 6:59 am
lbmofo wrote:Okay, here is what I am thinking. If you paid yearly taxes of $11.75, you must have seen this "subject to change" language printed on the box when you bought Ooma. So when the tax structure and amount changed, you can't be that upset.

The problem is I don't believe the actual tax structure changed on the government's end. It think it's just Ooma which changed what they collect. It seems dishonest to me. It especially leaves a bad taste in my mouth because three months ago I still thought I was going to be paying $11.xx a year! You see Ooma has been waiting until exactly one month before the renewal date to notify grandfathered customers of the change from $11.xx a year to the monthly billing. As far as I am concerned between December 20, 2011 and now they have decided to raise my Ooma bill nearly 500%+. It went from $11.xx to $54.xx.
#92858 by lbmofo
Fri Feb 10, 2012 8:09 pm
The word "grandfathered" is not suitable here. Ooma did not promise anything to anyone (those that are on the hook for regulatory recovery fees I mean; except for 1st year being exempt for the $11.75/year folks and Ooma, as always, keeps promises).

And this "dishonesty" thing you mention... All utility companies and cell phone companies are in the same boat. They choose to charge u when they really don't need to?!
#92875 by davidm
Sat Feb 11, 2012 8:47 am
lbmofo wrote:The word "grandfathered" is not suitable here. Ooma did not promise anything to anyone (those that are on the hook for regulatory recovery fees I mean; except for 1st year being exempt for the $11.75/year folks and Ooma, as always, keeps promises).

And this "dishonesty" thing you mention... All utility companies and cell phone companies are in the same boat. They choose to charge u when they really don't need to?!

Sorry, you're just not understanding my point. There's no sense in arguing with you about this further.