Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#91915 by Leeway
Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:27 am
Why can't the current version of the software your Ooma is using show up in "My Ooma" ??

It would be infinitely easier just to go there and see on the page what version is loaded.

Personally, I have to get under my desk and move connectivity in order to get to the setup page to check SW version. Ergo, I don't check to see what version I'm running very often.

Donna :?:
#91917 by thunderbird
Wed Jan 18, 2012 9:42 am
Leeway wrote:Why can't the current version of the software your Ooma is using show up in "My Ooma" ??

It would be infinitely easier just to go there and see on the page what version is loaded.

Personally, I have to get under my desk and move connectivity in order to get to the setup page to check SW version. Ergo, I don't check to see what version I'm running very often.

Dial *#*#001 (Speak the version of software) using one of your phones connected to your Ooma Telo, to hear the current version of software installed on your Ooma Telo. Audio comes out of the Ooma Telo's speaker.
#91952 by Leeway
Wed Jan 18, 2012 8:26 pm
Doesn't work T-bird... I just get the very fast busy signal part way through trying. I tried several times.

I have to play the move wires game to get to it.

Donna
#91957 by thunderbird
Thu Jan 19, 2012 12:57 am
Leeway wrote:Doesn't work T-bird... I just get the very fast busy signal part way through trying. I tried several times.

I have to play the move wires game to get to it.

Donna

Donna, do you have an Ooma Telo or an Ooma Hub? It only works for the Ooma Telo. If you have an Ooma Telo and it doesn't work, you would be the first, that I've heard of, that *#*#001 Speak the version of software failed to work when dialed. Is your Ooma Telo speaker volume turned up? The message comes out of the Ooma Telo speaker.
#91973 by Cyberchat
Thu Jan 19, 2012 10:02 am
Leeway wrote:Why can't the current version of the software your Ooma is using show up in "My Ooma" ??

The software version installed in the Telo can be obtained from the upper right hand corner of the Telo's Home setup screen.

If your Telo is installed as Modem/Telo/Router, to get to the Telo's Home setup screen on your PC use a browser to go to: http://setup.ooma.com/

If your Telo is installed as Modem/Router/Telo, to get to the Telo's Home setup screen use a LAN cable (Cat-5e) to hook up your PC directly to the Home Network port of the Telo and then go to: http://172.27.35.1. (Note: make sure that your wireless network is turned off in your laptop PC when you hook it up to the Telo)

By the way, for those Users who have their Telo installed as Modem/Router/Telo, to avoid this recurring hassle of having to hook up a PC to the Telo's home network port, you can access the Telo's setup screens directly from your LAN PC by making a configuration change within the Telo's setup screens. On the Advanced Settings panel, at the bottom of the panel Add a New Rule to forward Port 80 to 172.27.35.1

Then you will be able to directly access the Telo setup screen by entering the static IP address assigned to your Telo in your router, for example: http://192.168.1.xxx (Note: the presumption here is that with your Telo installed behind your router, you will aleady have assigned a static IP address to your Telo and also will have opened up (port forwarded) all of the ports necessary to have the Telo operate behind a router)
#91979 by highq
Thu Jan 19, 2012 11:34 am
"... will have opened up (port forwarded) all of the ports necessary to have the Telo operate behind a router".

"Necessary" ???

My Telo is connected to my home LAN (which of course uses an unroutable CIDR block of IP numbers). This LAN is NAT'ed by my computer (acting as a router) to my public IP address. No port forwarding of any kind is in effect, because it just is NOT necessary.
#91985 by Cyberchat
Thu Jan 19, 2012 3:19 pm
highq wrote:"... will have opened up (port forwarded) all of the ports necessary to have the Telo operate behind a router".

"Necessary" ???

My Telo is connected to my home LAN (which of course uses an unroutable CIDR block of IP numbers). This LAN is NAT'ed by my computer (acting as a router) to my public IP address. No port forwarding of any kind is in effect, because it just is NOT necessary.

My message relates to those forum Users with a "typical" residential network who desire to connect their OOMA device as Modem-->Router-->OOMA_Telo. From Wikipedia: "..... In a typical residential network, internet access is obtained through a DSL or cable modem connected to a router or network address translator (NAT/NAPT). Hosts on the private network are connected to an Ethernet switch or communicate via a wireless LAN. The NAT device's external interface is configured with a public IP address. The computers *unquote* (or other devices like the OOMA Telo) *quote* behind the router, on the other hand, are invisible to hosts on the Internet as they each communicate only with a private IP address. ....."

For the above scenario, OOMA has published a document entitled "Advanced Connections and Service Ports" which is located at: http://www.ooma.com/app/support/advanced-connections-and-service-ports

In the document, OOMA states: "..... Ooma uses the following application ports for outbound data and voice traffic:

UDP 53, UDP 123, UDP 514, UDP 1194,UDP 3386, UDP 3480, UDP 10000-20000, TCP 53 and TCP 443.

This port information can be useful if you have a special network configuration with a firewall device upstream of the Ooma Hub or Telo that restricts application ports on the inside or "private side" of your network for outbound traffic. ..... ".

For many if not most OOMA Users who desire to connect their OOMA device as Modem-->Router-->OOMA_Telo, the port forwarding exercise will probably be necessary.
#92000 by Cyberchat
Thu Jan 19, 2012 9:39 pm
highq wrote:Why would most (or even any) users have a setup that blocks outbound ports?

You'll have to direct your questions about OOMA's choice of words in their documents to OOMA. Also, I can't speak to OOMA's list of ports or to the traffic which flows through them or to whether the sessions use a request/response, broadcast, or other communication patterns, or to whether the Telo or OOMA's servers or both are the request initiators.

In my initial message in this thread, I outlined a port forwarding scenario which I believe it is straight forward to understand. This scenario has the Telo connected to the Router which makes it part of the LAN (local area network).

The Telo itself has NAT/Firewall functionality. The address of 172.27.35.1 to access the Telo Setup service is hosted within the Telo on the Home Network or private side of the Telo's NAT/Firewall and is not "visible" on the Internet side of the Telo. The idea of setting up a new rule to forward Port-80 to 172.27.35.1 is to instruct the NAT/Firewall to route requests for the service arriving at the Internet side of the Telo to the Telo Setup Service. The rule makes this Service on the private side of the Telo "visible" through port 80 to the Internet side of the Telo. This in turn allows PC's hosted on the LAN to access this service from the LAN through requests to the Internet side of the Telo, such as http://192.168.1.xxx. This approach avoids the need to detach your PC from the LAN and connect/cable it to the Home Network side of the Telo to access the Telo Setup service.

I hope this description helps you and other Users understand the intent of my initial message earlier in this thread.
#92014 by Leeway
Fri Jan 20, 2012 8:55 am
thunderbird wrote:Donna, do you have an Ooma Telo or an Ooma Hub? It only works for the Ooma Telo. If you have an Ooma Telo and it doesn't work, you would be the first, that I've heard of, that *#*#001 Speak the version of software failed to work when dialed. Is your Ooma Telo speaker volume turned up? The message comes out of the Ooma Telo speaker.

Finally got it T-bird, using my Telo just like I did yesterday. I tried it multiple times yesterday and it gave me the fast busy signal each time. I event plugged a phone into the back of the Telo because I normally do not have a phone into the Telo base. That didn't work either but I just pushed the buttons now on a Panny handset and the Telo base spoke loud and clear.

Donna (and... I do have the new SW release here)