Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#91273 by tommyp2
Fri Dec 30, 2011 8:12 am
I am not sure if this is specific to OOMA Canada, but when I place a call to a toll free number (e.g. 1-800, 1-888, 1-877, 1-866), I am only able to successfully connect once for every three numbers I attempt to call. The other two times, I get the message "The number you are dialing cannot be reached from your calling area". If I receive this message, I am never able to connect to that specific toll free number. I am just wondering if this problem is being experienced by other Canadian OOMA customers.
#91277 by thunderbird
Fri Dec 30, 2011 10:10 am
tommyp2 wrote:I am not sure if this is specific to OOMA Canada, but when I place a call to a toll free number (e.g. 1-800, 1-888, 1-877, 1-866), I am only able to successfully connect once for every three numbers I attempt to call. The other two times, I get the message "The number you are dialing cannot be reached from your calling area". If I receive this message, I am never able to connect to that specific toll free number. I am just wondering if this problem is being experienced by other Canadian OOMA customers.

Here's some information that helped USA Ooma Users.

8xx Toll Free Number Calling Problem:

By valleybill:
You now must not have caller ID blocking. If you do, then dial *82 before a toll free call.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12455&start=40

By ehl1:
1) The issue has been found to relate to Caller ID blocking - and my setting was indeed set to block my caller ID on outgoing calls. We switched off that feature, rebooted the Ooma Telo, and lo and behold, ALL 800 #s went through first try, no issue(!)

2) In addition, it was reported that even with the caller ID blocking active, if you wait 5-10 seconds after the fast busy, the call apparently does connect (I never tried this and still haven't)
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=12455&start=30

Next if that doesn’t work:
Try calling with a *99 in front of the number for the Oomo Hub.
Try Calling with a *99, *98 or *96 in front of the number if you have an Ooma Telo.
Example: *98-1-xxx-xxx-xxxx
#91284 by tommyp2
Fri Dec 30, 2011 1:47 pm
Thanks very much for replying to my post. Unfortunately, none of your suggestions seemed to work for me. I believe the problem has something to do with the Canadian setup or my area code. The customer service staff have not been much help for me either.
#91307 by thunderbird
Sat Dec 31, 2011 1:07 pm
tommyp2 wrote:Thanks very much for replying to my post. Unfortunately, none of your suggestions seemed to work for me. I believe the problem has something to do with the Canadian setup or my area code. The customer service staff have not been much help for me either.

Have you tried contacting Ooma Customer Support. For myself, I find that an E-mail works best.

Customer Support
Email: support@oomacare.com
Phone: 1-888-711-OOMA (6662)
Monday-Friday 7am-7pm PST
Saturday-Sunday 8am-5pm PST
#91463 by Linas
Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:29 am
I'm also a Canadian customer, and I'm having the same issue. I tried the suggested fixes, but none of them worked for myself either. I did try a 1-800 number that was specifically indicated as a 'North American' 800 number, and it worked just fine. I imagine it must be that any Canadian 800 numbers think that my call is originating from the US, hence the 'sorry, this call can not be completed from your region' message. A fix for this problem would be nice...
#91469 by Bobby B
Thu Jan 05, 2012 1:28 pm
We're currently taking a look at the issue of calling Canadian toll-free numbers from Canadian Ooma units. One workaround we've found is to dial *67 (which blocks your caller-ID) prior to dialing the toll-free number. Hopefully we'll have a fix for this soon.
#92139 by Canadian Tech
Tue Jan 24, 2012 7:06 am
Jan 24, 2012. Problem still exists. 1-8xx numbers to Canadian businesses that block access from callers in the US can not be reached. Ooma says these numbers are outside my calling area. A very serious problem because I can not reach my Internet service provider who is Rogers -- the biggest in Canada. All attempts to use *xx numbers preceding the 1-8xx do not solve the problem.
#92273 by Canadian Tech
Sat Jan 28, 2012 12:51 pm
Bobby B, please update us on the status of your looking into this problem. *67 does not work. This is a major show-stopper for Canadian Ooma customers. I have submitted a Customer Care request. They responded once with the *67 suggestion. Since I told them it does not help, I have had no response.
#92332 by metacomm
Sun Jan 29, 2012 3:46 pm
Here is a temporary workaround for calling Rogers Communications from the Toronto, Ontario region:
the Rogers local access number for Inquiries (Other Countries than Canada and US) 1-416-935-5555.

I have a 1-800 type # for Rogers for the United States, but it is not presently working. I shall post a follow-up if I can locate a current 1-800 # for calls from the United States.
#92339 by Canadian Tech
Sun Jan 29, 2012 5:20 pm
Thank you metacomm. But, the problem is way bigger than that. Rogers is just an example. I had one number at CIBC which Ooma told me was a number no longer in service. I connected with the same number using my cell phone. As far as Canadian customers are concerned, this is a show stopper. I am telling all my contacts to hold off buying Ooma until Ooma gets this fixed. As best I can tell from this forum, Ooma has known about this problem for a long time. By the way there are other problems Canadians are having -- e.g. no hardware freebies for signing up for Premium.