Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#91172 by siegwam
Tue Dec 27, 2011 7:46 am
Ooma needs to let people know that when you port your home phone number from Frontier communications the process automatically discconects everything! Television, inernet, and phone services. Makes it difficult to use your phone through Ooma when you have no internet. Frontier cannot just simply flip a switch to turn it back on either. You have to become a brand new customer and setup a brand new install date to get internet up and running again. For me this took 5 days! Very frustrating and I hope Ooma will start putting some literature somewhere to let people know this. I don't know about any other service providers that this happens besides Frontier communications.
#91173 by siegwam
Tue Dec 27, 2011 8:04 am
Apparentley this issue is addressed under porting issues. It took a call to customer service to find where this info is located on their website. Not very easy to find.
#95141 by lmeadowsor
Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:49 pm
I can confirm this issue with Frontier FIOS. I ported my number and then left town for a week. Came back and everything was down. 4:30 pm on a Friday. Frontier confirmed that it disconnected everything automatically without so much as a by-your-leave. I have (had) Frontier FIOS TV, Internet, and phone in a small town south of Portland, Oregon.

The good news is that after calling the number that popped up on the TV (what would I do without a cell phone) and getting some friendly representatives that didn't do anything, I finally got an obviously techno-savvy guy who promised reconnection tomorrow (Saturday). This was 30 minutes before closing on Friday. So I counted myself lucky. And then I was going to watch a DVD and my PS3 seemed to know that it was connected to the Internet. So amazingly enough my internet was back on line before 8pm on Friday. Elapsed time from first call less than 4 hours.

I suspect my unknown friend in Washington State was able to get someone in their provisioning department to take care of this right away and I'm eternally grateful. I would have been in real trouble without internet for a week.

So yes, OOMA PLEASE MAKE THIS CLEAR in the porting dialog, that your provider may drop you entirely with no notice if you port your phone number. This is certainly true for Frontier FIOS in Oregon and all the customer service reps seemed to know it. And indeed, at least for FIOS, Frontier can just "flip a switch".

And I'm surprised and pleased with the quick response from Frontier, and I will tell them so. I suspect I got lucky catching the smart guy late on a Friday, but I'll take it.

-- Larry
#124946 by kbrod7
Wed Dec 03, 2014 6:37 am
I have been waiting over two months to get my number ported from Frontier. As soon as Ooma made the port request, they disconnected my phone without warning. I called Frontier and they had me back the same day. The rude customer service lady told me with a friendly southern voice that "They don't take too kindly to people wanting to leave their service and take their numbers with them". Also that I hope I understand their position. I almost lost it and said that I'm pretty sure that it's an FCC law that the HAVE TO give up their numbers. Even after I was reconnected I had to call a few times to have my voice mail and caller ID reconnected. What a crappy company. I wish I could complain to somebody that would do something about it. I assume they have 90 days to comply and are just trying to milk some more money from me.
#124948 by oomamaniacal
Wed Dec 03, 2014 7:04 am
kbrod7 wrote:I have been waiting over two months to get my number ported from Frontier. As soon as Ooma made the port request, they disconnected my phone without warning. I called Frontier and they had me back the same day. The rude customer service lady told me with a friendly southern voice that "They don't take too kindly to people wanting to leave their service and take their numbers with them". Also that I hope I understand their position. I almost lost it and said that I'm pretty sure that it's an FCC law that the HAVE TO give up their numbers. Even after I was reconnected I had to call a few times to have my voice mail and caller ID reconnected. What a crappy company. I wish I could complain to somebody that would do something about it. I assume they have 90 days to comply and are just trying to milk some more money from me.

Wow, that company sounds even worse than AT&T. When I ported, I actually had overlap in service for a day. Incoming calls on my AT&T number were going through Ooma, but I still had dial tone from AT&T and could call out on their service. And it only took four business days to complete the port request.