Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#101339 by Richard599
Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:24 am
I feel the same way. I do not want "call waiting" and want the phone to have a busy signal or go to VoiceMail. This is important!
#106928 by missmedschool
Wed Feb 20, 2013 4:02 pm
BUMP!!!

This is completely crazy. How is it that Ooma thinks that just having a continuous ring for my 2nd caller would solve the call waiting issue? Busy signals are not annoying at all to the caller. I would appreciate it if I heard a busy signal rather than a continuous ring, then I would know to call back.

I was surprised to find so many threads about this and yet this problem has not been fixed. Had I known this, I would've purchased Vonage or something. I want call waiting, but just as important, if I am busy on a line I want my other caller to know it. Not just have them wait ring after ring to see if maybe I pick up the phone.

This is absurd. I've had my Ooma for a week and I already hate it.
#106948 by missmedschool
Wed Feb 20, 2013 8:18 pm
Thanks lbmofo, but mostly what I wanted was a busy signal for them. I think I'm returning my equipment. Really sucks because other than that, it's a good device. But unfortunately I need a busy signal for when I'm busy... mostly employer purposes. So, it's not really for me.

Just ordered Vonage and verified with them that if I disable call waiting the other caller would get a busy signal. My mistake for not reading up on this before.

Thanks anyway.
#106950 by lbmofo
Wed Feb 20, 2013 11:48 pm
missmedschool, I understand for your work purposes, you may want call waiting calls to get busy signal so the calls can get routed to the next employee/agent's phone # programmed in the chain etc. http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r129124 ... usy-signal

But please understand Ooma designs systems & features with most home phone users in mind. Just because you have this special need, it doesn't mean the rest of the Ooma users would desire what you want. At the least, please don't push what you want as if everyone else in the world would naturally opt for it.

If people want to disable call waiting, the assumption that most people would like the call waiting call to roll into voicemail is a good one I think. Unless they disable voicemail too (this is on Ooma's future roadmap for the online portal). Perhaps, then, Ooma might decide to give busy siganl when both voicemail and call waiting are disabled and when you are on a call. This is the route Vonage has taken as well it seems (with both VM and CW disabled, call waiting calls get busy siganl).
#106953 by dsinternet
Thu Feb 21, 2013 3:57 am
It's nice having my family get VM when I am busy. There have been a few times when both my wife and I are on different phone calls and somone tries to call in. They get VM and Ooma sends an email. We get the message (via email) while we are still talking on the phone. I don't see why a family would want a busy signal. Maybe in the future Ooma can give people the option of a busy signal; but I will never want it.
#106959 by missmedschool
Thu Feb 21, 2013 6:25 am
lbmofo,

I'm not sure if you're aware of it, but I did not create this thread. I found probably 5 threads discussing the same issue. So yeah, some people would like to get a busy signal for the next caller as stated here by multiple users and the creator of this and the other threads I visited.

Ooma has failed in providing something very useful. I know TWC and Vonage (which I should receive in the next few days) give people the option: "While disabling call waiting have next caller go to: a) VM; b) continuous ringning; c) busy signal; d) forward to a different number; e) I believe you get my point".

So no, it's not a matter of employment reason. I prefer it that way even on my cell phone. As you said, don't try to push me into wanting what you want, because simply everyone has different tastes.

BTW, just so you know, you should've read the whole thread since I am not the first discussing this issue.

You're quite rude, Ooma dude.

Toodles!
#106963 by WayneDsr
Thu Feb 21, 2013 7:31 am
Personally, if I call a business in this day and age and get a busy signal (something almost unheard of today) I feel a bit helpless, my phone call was just a dead communication, no voice mail, no indication to me or the business I ever made the call.

Voice mail at least gives me the satisfaction of completing the communication.

Just my 2 cents.

Wayne
#107116 by missmedschool
Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:18 pm
How funny that the people against this feature are also the ones that have hundreds or thousands of posts. On Ooma much, special discount maybe? :?
#107117 by lbmofo
Sat Feb 23, 2013 3:54 pm
mismedschool,

In summary, Ooma currently does not have a way for users to disable their VM from Ooma web portal hence if call waiting is disabled, call waiting calls would end up in VM. If Ooma customer service disables VM for you from the backend, the behavior is for call waiting calls to get continuous ring rather than busy signal.

Although this behavior is not inline with traditional POTS. I think it is a stretch to call it "completely crazy" or "absurd."

Perhaps in the future, when Ooma implements option for users to disable VM on Ooma web portal, coupled with call waiting disable currently already in place, call waiting calls may get busy signal.

Until this happens, Ooma does not meet your "special" needs. If you have other questions about Ooma features, please feel free to ask on this forum.