Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#90913 by bob_442
Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:00 pm
I'm a recent subscriber and so far, for the most part, am pleased with what I see. There is one
thing though that I find disappointing -- the ability to have a second phone number (with premier
service) be attached to a hardwired phone line, without giving up the first phone number being
attached to a hardwired phone line.

I understand this used to be possible with the hub and scout, but not with telo and the telo
handset. This forces me, and others like me, to choose between a dedicated hardwired
fax, with a dedicated phone number (the gold standard), and being able to connect my existing
phones to the telo. This is a choice I do not want to have to make. This makes it difficult
to "fire my phone company". I'm willing to spend money (for hardware -- not for higher service
fees beyond the premier subscription) to solve this problem.

This can be solved any number of ways, for example: future versions of telo, which have a
4-wire modular phone jack could support 2 hard-wired phone lines with premier service -- each
phone line only uses a single pair of wires. A splitter, available at any electronics or hardware
store, which swaps the pairs on one of the outputs could provide access to the second line).
Another solution: the new telo handset y'all are working on, or a similar device (like scout) could
provide the needed extra pair of wires to connect up a second hardwired phone line.

The bottom line: the telo handsets, while nice, are not currently a viable replacement for a second
hardwired phone line.

Bob
#90915 by murphy
Mon Dec 19, 2011 1:30 pm
You can achieve what you want to do with two Telos.
#90922 by bob_442
Mon Dec 19, 2011 5:59 pm
murphy wrote:You can achieve what you want to do with two Telos.

This is correct, of course. But it also entails adding to the monthly charges; at minimum another set of account taxes will be due, no?

Ooma used to provide this functionality, and is so close to providing it now. But not quite.

Bob
#90926 by rmeden
Mon Dec 19, 2011 7:00 pm
bob_442 wrote:future versions of telo, which have a
4-wire modular phone jack could support 2 hard-wired phone lines with premier service -- each
phone line only uses a single pair of wires.

I also noticed that the Telo has a 4 wire connector but is lacking either the software or a little circuitry to provide the second line. I wonder if Ooma did this just to sell handsets. Whatever the reason, it's a disappointment.
#91420 by dglad
Wed Jan 04, 2012 7:12 am
Has anyone heard from Ooma on this, or if this is something that is being worked on?
I really need a solution for this also, and if there is little hope we'll see this capability any time soon, I will have to find another way to provide the additional line.
Thanks