Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#7445 by Beowoof
Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:49 am
As my wife says to me, "Hon, I know your're trying --Very Trying!"

Lessons learned:

1. Expect outages -- whether from ooma, your internet provider, outright sabatoge of fiber cables or acts of God.

2. If you are going to use any VOIP service, you better have a backup plan.

- a landline
- a cell phone
- call forwarding (for Premier users)
- Skype "on demand" service
- a walkie talkie.

3. When ooma is available, it is great!

4. Sadly, I cannot recommend ooma until service levels improve. I bettin' on your success, but you really need to get your act together.

Ooma, I still love 'ya but give us a roadmap on what you are doing to fix the problems and pleeeze -- communicate with us.

Thanks
#7482 by oomg
Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:10 am
Beowoof wrote:As my wife says to me, "Hon, I know your're trying --Very Trying!"

Lessons learned:

1. Expect outages -- whether from ooma, your internet provider, outright sabatoge of fiber cables or acts of God.

2. If you are going to use any VOIP service, you better have a backup plan.

- a landline
- a cell phone
- call forwarding (for Premier users)
- Skype "on demand" service
- a walkie talkie.

3. When ooma is available, it is great!

4. Sadly, I cannot recommend ooma until service levels improve. I bettin' on your success, but you really need to get your act together.

Ooma, I still love 'ya but give us a roadmap on what you are doing to fix the problems and pleeeze -- communicate with us.

Thanks

add to the backup list... two cans and a string.

I will still recommend ooma, but as I alsways have, I will qualify the recommendation with a brief reminder of some of the possible problems.
#7486 by lohertz
Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:14 am
I think that's a little harsh.

It's not like you had multiple service providers for POTS service. One cable to the NIB at that was it.

If DUI Joe hit the pole, the whole neighborhood was out for a day.

I recommend Ooma.
#7501 by southsound
Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:54 am
I know that I have a rather unique situation since I live on an island in the South Puget Sound - our total population is about 2500 in the summer and about half of that in the winter. We just got DSL in January this year - about 15 years sooner than my expectations. But my experience will likely be similar to that of others.

About a year ago, our lights dimmed and at the same time we heard a loud BANG - something like a shotgun blast. Curious, I went out to the road to see if I could spot an out-of-season hunter. Seeing nothing, I went to intersection of our road with another major road that forms the corner of our property. There is a pole-mounted transformer on that pole that feeds power to a Telco "SLIC" (subscriber line interface cabinet). The little squiggly wire that acts as a fuse for the transformer was missing. That was the BANG that I heard - the fuse had blown.

Knowing that there is only a limited period that the SLIC can run on its batteries, I called our PUD (public utility district) and requested that they come out and replace the fuse. They said that the telco had not called them, so there must not be a problem. I tried to reason with them, but no avail. I then called the telco service number to report the problem so they could contact our PUD. They assured me that there was no problem because I was able to call them.

Although the batteries in a SLIC can run it for up to 12 hours, ours had old batteries in it so three hours later, it failed. I again called the PUD (this time on my cell phone) and they sent out a service person to change out the fuse. About 30 minutes later, another BANG. Seems that the problem was the transformer had shorted and the poor service person was only separated from the 14 KV line by a 40" fiberglass pole (used to insert the fuse) when the new fuse blew. Sadly, he had not bothered with ear protection, so he was dazed from the loud blast. And of course, he didn't have a spare transformer with him. By the time he returned and power was restored, we had been out of service for about 6 hours. Never did receive a note from the telco telling me what happened, although half the island was out of service for those 6 hours.

During a winter storm in 2006 or 2007, we lost power for 3 days. No electricity, no phone, roads really nasty. We went to a friend's house in town for showers.

My point: All infrastructure is subject to periodic downtime. We do have a landline because my telco bill is cheaper with the landline and DSL than with just DSL alone. And we have a NET-10 phone that works in our front yard and sometimes in the house if you stand on one foot and hold a roll of tinfoil in our left hand. But we survived the ooma outage and I am still happy with my ooma purchase. I think ooma is doing a great job at giving us great service most or even almost all of the time.

Can they get better? Sure. And with their excellent management and technical/engineering teams, I am sure they will. I look forward to next year when I can drop my landline and have just my ooma and my trusty NET-10 phone for backup.