Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#89489 by rmeden
Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:57 am
I've been unable to get FAX or Analog modem to work reliably through my Ooma Telo.

I've tried the *98, *99 codes and they don't seem to make a difference. My ReplayTV unit is able to stay connected long enough to get some guide data every few days, but it redials 3-4 times/night.

It would be nice if a PCM or other lossless encoding was available via a * code so if bandwidth was available (Ooma could publish guidelines saying how much is needed) Fax and other analog modem connections would work.

Robert
#89494 by thunderbird
Sun Nov 13, 2011 11:32 am
rmeden wrote:I've been unable to get FAX or Analog modem to work reliably through my Ooma Telo.

I've tried the *98, *99 codes and they don't seem to make a difference. My ReplayTV unit is able to stay connected long enough to get some guide data every few days, but it redials 3-4 times/night.

It would be nice if a PCM or other lossless encoding was available via a * code so if bandwidth was available (Ooma could publish guidelines saying how much is needed) Fax and other analog modem connections would work.

Robert

From a Replay TV users manual:
ReplayTV is having trouble connecting
using the phone line.
• Try connecting manually to the ReplayTV Service. Exit all on-screen menus. Press the numbers 2-4-3 then the Zones button on your remote. Choose “7 - Net Connect” on the screen that displays. ReplayTV will attempt to contact the service.
• Slow down the speed of the modem. Go to Setup and then choose Network and Input Settings. Choose Change Telephone. Continue to the dialing prefix screen. Press the Zones button on your remote. Change the Max Connect Speed to 336 or lower using the left or right arrow buttons.
• Choose a different phone number. Go to Setup and then choose Network and Input Settings. Choose Change Telephone. Continue to the list of phone numbers. Choose a different phone number. Try all of the numbers, if necessary.

For Replay dialing:
Also if possible, try adding *98 prefix before the number dialed.

Fax: what seems to be working now?
Some back ground:
viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12241
By Bobby B » Mon Aug 15, 2011 4:17 pm
“A few weeks ago all Telos received fax tone detection support, which allows the Telo to change to an uncompressed codec when a fax call is detected. As a result of this change, the manual fax mode parameter is no longer needed. We're in the process of updating the documentation to reflect this change”.

Try testing with the HP Fax test number:
I tried the HP Fax Test number 1-888-473-2963 fully expecting it to not to work. (This number works with any Fax machine).
But it worked fine. Within five minutes I received a return Fax from the HP Fax Test number.

Some people had said that after changing their Ooma connections to Modem-Router-Ooma, that their Fax began to work.

I have read where some people after connecting their Fax machine directly to the Ooma device Phone port, with nothing else connected, allows the Fax to work. (But mine goes all the way across the house with other phones connected, without any problems).

Others have said that after making adjustments to the Quality of Service settings in Ooma Setup, their Fax began to work properly. What seems to be working with the current firmware versions is to set Ooma Setup Quality of Service Upstream and Downstream Internet Speed settings to 80 to 90% of the measured Upload and Download speeds as measured by Phonepower Speedtest settings, http://www.phonepower.com/speedtest . After running Phonepower Speedtest, click on the Phonepower Advanced tab. The Speeds are at the top of the page. Multiply .8 or .9 times the Upload and also the Download speed, to obtain the values to be entered in Ooma Setup Advance page. Ooma Setup is accessed by typing http://172.27.35.1 in a computer, connected behind the Ooma Home port, browser window.

Also try dialing the complete number including the 1, example 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx. (Also try dialing the number 1-xxx-xxx-xxxx-# adding the hash mark to speed dialing). Remember that with Ooma, any call in the USA isn't long distance. For some Fax machines you have to add a pause or two after dialing the 1.

Entering a pause to a fax phone number. See http://mikeyates.com/wordpress/?tag=fax-pause .

If you have ten digit dialing enabled in My Ooma, https://my.ooma.com/system, you can dial without using the 1 for long distance numbers.

A DSL filter, installed in the reverse direction, (even if you don't have DSL) in the phone line going from the Ooma device to the Fax phone port, has helped some people, especially with inbound faxes.

Some people have had success without adding any prefix to the number to be faxed since the Ooma Fax change. I’m in that category. Ooma suggests using *99 pause, or pause pause before the number being dialed. *98 and *96 has helped Ooma Telos in the past.

You will want to make these changes to your Fax machine:
Slow down the transmission speed. Set the BAUD rate of the fax machine to 9600 bps or even lower (7200 bps would be the next slower setting).
Turn off or disable ECM (error correction mode), a setting, usually defaulted on, that many fax machines have.
#89503 by rmeden
Sun Nov 13, 2011 2:01 pm
I've already tried most of those things.

I'm not actually calling the ReplayTV/Earthlink numbers, but a local POTS line where I have a replacement ReplayTV service. The other end of a ReplayTV modem is a US Robotics V.Everything. I've reduced the Replay speed to 9600 (as low as it goes) and also changed settings on the US Robotics. I tried to force Bell-212 modulation (2400bps) on the USR, but the ReplayTV modem surprisingly doesn't seem to support it.

The protocol negotiation sync issues are pretty obvious listening to the speaker on the V.everything. The modems basically listen to what frequency ranges are passing to pick a modulation. I suspect going through Ooma, those frequencies aren't consistent so it's confusing the modems.

I've found I get better connections with *99 over *98.

I'll do some more work focusing on *98 and even try moving my Ooma behind a router (technically, I can't see how that would help).

My suggestion for a lossless PCM encdoing stands. IIRC, that's what's used within telco class 5 phone switches, so no question it would work but would probably eat up a lot of bandwidth. I don't know if I have enough bandwidth, but I can see it helpful to some. Maybe latency is the problem, not much can be done about that.

I've tried a few test faxes, and they all failed (ECM is already disabled). That was mostly experimenting. The modem is what I'd really like to work.

Robert
#89519 by joe123
Mon Nov 14, 2011 9:12 am
For whatever it is worth, the only way I am able to fax successfully, is by setting the fax modem speed down to about 4800. Slow but it works.

Anything higher causes some faxes to fail.
#89566 by rmeden
Mon Nov 14, 2011 10:41 pm
I did some additional tests.

*98 is worst than *99... at least the modems (ReplayTV internal on Ooma and USR V.everything on POTS) sounds like they are farther from a sync.

V.32 modulation (9600) doesn't come close to syncing
V.32bis (14.4k) seems to offer occasional syncs with *99, not even close with *98
V..34 (28.8/33.6) never syncs

I tried to connect Modem -> Router -> Ooma, and that didn't make a difference.

Speakeasy reports my bandwidth as 1Mbps/20mbps through the Ooma.

When I had the Ooma behind the router, I could measure bandwidth at the router. With both *98 and *99 input and output bandwidth seemed capped at 100kbps. A POTS line uses 64kbps after the Telco A/D converter (PCM), so 100kbs should be plenty.

I suspect fax and modems have worked through satellite links, so latency can't be worse than that, so it just leaves codec distortion. Could we get a lossless PCM codec option?

How does Ooma connect to the PSTN and route long distance? Could the problem be on that end?

Robert
#89614 by rmeden
Tue Nov 15, 2011 6:40 pm
Nope... I've already teamed up with the WiRNS team on a replacement Replay service.. the issue isn't the Replay, it's really improving modem/fax connections in general. My old 2000 series replay is just a convenient test case.

Robert