Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#89216 by rheavy2
Sat Nov 05, 2011 6:57 am
Users need to be able to turn off voicemail!!!!! I still get knuckleheads leaving messages after 59 secs!!!!! Or at least extend the voicemail pickup time to something like an hour.

One of these days we should get this, what's taking so long? (PS I know it can be turned off w/o ever being able to turn it back on - death is not the solution...)
#89230 by Bob859
Sat Nov 05, 2011 5:46 pm
I have sometimes left a voice mail greeting that says something like: "I am not available right now. You can try to call again later. Goodbye." Then I tap on the mouthpiece for a couple of minutes, so there is a long period of time before the beep. That has worked for me. No one has ever waited through the taps, to leave a message.
#89286 by lbmofo
Mon Nov 07, 2011 7:40 pm
I for one, don't think the inability to turn off/on Ooma VM (as a user setting) is a big deal. If one prefers own answering machine, make Ooma ring longer and have own answering machine pick up. A few occasional VMs left on Ooma despite setup (during network outage, power outage, etc.) isn't that much hassle to put up with. At least you have your VM somewhere.

As for not wanting VM at all, set your VM to pick up at 59 seconds (that's almost 10 rings); if that doesn't work (if people still want to leave you messages, you might want to reconsider who you hand out your number to ;) ).

If you get too many messages even with pick up at 59 seconds, go back to option 1, have your answering machine pick up before Ooma (get an answering machine that would initiate outgoing message "VM full" & hang up; fill up your VM box beforehand). Turn on Ooma VM by turning off answering machine; turn off Ooma VM by turning on answering machine. You'd still get a few occasional VMs left on Ooma despite setup (during network outage, power outage, etc.).

If one hates VM so very much, just call Ooma and have them turn off Ooma VM forever. If there is hate for VM, what's the problem with parting with it for good?

Like I said, I don't think this is a big deal. But obviously others differ. I am pretty sure I am in the overwhelming majority on this one. :)

If not (if I am wrong), and Ooma wants to accommodate, this is seemingly easy to do but no one can be certain (only Ooma would know). I know that Ooma creates and wipes VM boxes all the time (when personal devices are created, number assigned and vice versa) but what kind of operational challenges would checking VM flag to see if call should be directed to VM or "VM full" message bring about? Even if this is easy, wouldn't Ooma want to add this to Premier vs Free Serive?

Bottom line is, IMHO, this feature is a nice to have vs a "Need."
#89292 by Bob859
Tue Nov 08, 2011 5:32 am
lbmofo wrote:
As for not wanting VM at all, set your VM to pick up at 59 seconds (that's almost 10 rings); if that doesn't work (if people still want to leave you messages, you might want to reconsider who you hand out your number to ;) ).

If you get too many messages even with pick up at 59 seconds, go back to option 1, have your answering machine pick up before Ooma (get an answering machine that would initiate outgoing message "VM full" & hang up; fill up your VM box beforehand). Turn on Ooma VM by turning off answering machine; turn off Ooma VM by turning on answering machine. You'd still get a few occasional VMs left on Ooma despite setup (during network outage, power outage, etc.).

If one hates VM so very much, just call Ooma and have them turn off Ooma VM forever. If there is hate for VM, what's the problem with parting with it for good?

.......or you could use my idea: "I have sometimes left a voice mail greeting that says something like: "I am not available right now. You can try to call again later. Goodbye." Then I tap on the mouthpiece for a couple of minutes, so there is a long period of time before the beep. That has worked for me. No one has ever waited through the taps, to leave a message." It works.

#89313 by roadshow
Tue Nov 08, 2011 12:27 pm
I have read numerous posts from users who are annoyed by not having this option, maybe once they figure it out and enough of us whine about it. maybe then.
#89319 by lbmofo
Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:33 pm
Bobby B wrote:We have plans to enable the voicemail on/off toggle in My Ooma early next year.

Thanks Bobby. People who chose VM death penalty, will their VM come back alive with "off?"
#89320 by Bobby B
Tue Nov 08, 2011 1:35 pm
Oh yes I forgot to address that - if you disable your voicemail, you'll be able to turn it on again anytime later.

lbmofo wrote:
Bobby B wrote:We have plans to enable the voicemail on/off toggle in My Ooma early next year.

Thanks Bobby. People who chose VM death penalty, will their VM come back alive with "off?"