Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#7438 by oomg
Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:38 am
number9 wrote:I opted for no phone line. I knew the risks. My choice. I did go buy a trac phone last night,..LOL
I mean no offense to any one here, but, this is not a fail safe product, do your home work, know the risks and make an informed intelligent decision. I think it is a mistake to use Voip *I are one too* as your only source for phone service.

Barry

Right... "do your home work, know the risks and make an informed intelligent decision." Although I have made a different informed (and hopefully) intelligent decision, I must say "Accolades to you" for acknowledging a point that so many seem to disregard.

So... UR12? Reminds me of a personalized license plate I saw some time ago: "ICUR12" -- I may have to change my user name on this forum.

oomg
#7450 by lohertz
Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:02 am
I personally took a different approach. Although, I don't work at home or need home phone service.

We went without home service for 4 months, because we didnt need it. That is, until my wife went through all the rollover minutes.

AT&T was $55/mo, yeah, I could have gone with a generic plan, but why bother. If the power went out the cordless wouldnt work anyway. Besides, your we're gonna reach for our cell phones first.

Ooma was a calculated risk reward investment. My daughter is getting to that age.... (that's when I may switch to premier and get her own line) but other than that I could care less.

I do need to take the time to explore google voice and settign up to ring my cell if internet/power/service is interupted.

Contingency planning is always described as how much redundancy you have.

Obviously, if you are like Wayne, you have a lot of redundancy, and he pays for it. Good for him.

I'm a bit more economical. My wife and I will probably never give up the cell phone (all though, I would like to get wifi phones over if 4g wasd across the county) so we pay for that. and thats it. But that is a convenience we pay for. (Not to mention the mobile internet and text msgs.)

WIFI + 4g built were the current cell towers are.....ahhh I could only dream of that type of infrastracture. 30 Mbps up/down anywhere I am...like in Asia for what I pay for DSL now....
#7460 by sioomauser
Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:10 am
I wish everyone would stop griping... Your $200 investment will pay for itself in 4 or 5 months. There is going to be service outages, that's the nature of voip or any server related service in the year 2009. One day I'm sure we'll live in a perfect world... otherwise add another bill to your daily lives. Ooma is still a relatively new company and they have the same issues as most start ups, understaffed, fast growth etc. It's a great service and I'm happy with it.
#7476 by lohertz
Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:57 am
tsunamee wrote:It's called Freedom of Speech....

Ah and what a freedom it is.

Feedback, pushback, creative criticism, criticism in general should always be welcomed. And it is.

But, don't take it to the point where someone is annoying or re-iterating the same point over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over and over.
#7495 by WayneDsr
Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:35 am
Not to mention people jumping into the forum, not looking at other posts and creating new Topics just to complain. Do you see how many new topics were created today all for the same reason?
Freedom of speech is welcomed here, but please follow protocol, be civil and please, no whining! :-(

Wayne
#7535 by oomg
Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:01 pm
WayneDsr wrote:Not to mention people jumping into the forum, not looking at other posts and creating new Topics just to complain. Do you see how many new topics were created today all for the same reason?
Freedom of speech is welcomed here, but please follow protocol, be civil and please, no whining! :-(

Wayne

All for free speedh... heck, I don't even mind the whining. But what surprises me is the number of people who seem to have believed that ooma (or any VOIP service for that matter) could exist without any possible problems, and thus, have failed to preserve or establish a backup. Why am I surprised. Well, because my general perception is that ooma users as a group generally are more intelligent people who have considered both the benefits and risks associated with the system.
#7541 by chiefjim
Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:26 pm
Just a simple thought. Ooma users know when their service is offline because of that blinking red tab. For those using P.O.T.S. would they have ever known service was down before picking up the handset?
#7542 by southsound
Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:42 pm
I have my ooma hub in my network closet so I don't normally see the status lights unless go there to check if I think there is a problem - but I know that some of us have notification systems that alert us to our phone status.

WayneDSR wrote:ooma is down and my mother-in-law hasn't been able to call all afternoon.

Of course, nothing is free. If either his mother-in-law or his wife were monitoring this forum, he might need a couch for a couple of days. :)
#7544 by rosshenning
Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:52 pm
All for free speedh... heck, I don't even mind the whining. But what surprises me is the number of people who seem to have believed that ooma (or any VOIP service for that matter) could exist without any possible problems, and thus, have failed to preserve or establish a backup. Why am I surprised. Well, because my general perception is that ooma users as a group generally are more intelligent people who have considered both the benefits and risks associated with the system.

For me it's not that I don't expect problems every now and then. However, I would suspect those problems to be with MY internet connection, not on ooma's end. I saw a post earlier where someone was surprised that ooma didn't have multiple points of presence on the internet to allow for failover. I'm surprised as well. That fact, coupled with the fact that they obviously don't monitor their service to see if it goes down in the middle of the night is what bothers me. I don't think its too much to expect ooma to do their part to provide for redundancy in their system, nor for them to monitor their system to allow someone to take corrective action if it should go down in the middle of the night. Heck, even their system status page showed all green dots this morning which would tell even the most novice techie that the system status page is manually updated (translation: system status page = worthless).

If these two days of outtage turn out to be a once a year fluke, then I'm okay with it. I have cell phones and skype as a backup. However, if they continue to have these issues, then I think we all have plenty of room to gripe.