Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#7297 by brobb
Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:13 am
Another outage again? Wed. Apr. 15, 7:10 Pacific Time. Same as before... hubs blinking red and I can't log into the Lounge.

ooma.... what gives? Your status page says everything is fine.
Last edited by brobb on Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
#7328 by chiefjim
Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:28 am
rosshenning wrote: Do you think maybe they didn't pay their internet bill? So much for suggesting this service to my friends and family. I'm not going to take the heat for recommending a service that's so unreliable.

I recall reading somewhere in these forums that on the 13th their entire area experienced Internet connection errors. The major unknown is to what extent Ooma can mitigate such external disruptions. And that is not discounting the possibility something internal was the cause as well

{service just came back online 9:20 EDT}

Just for reference I work for a major national corporation. Almost daily we receive notices that a given site has lost phone service and "has been escalated to AT&T". Outages run the gamut from 30 minutes to 30 hours.

I guess it is a sign of the times. Growing up "Ma Bell" was one company with total responsibility for the connection. These days it would likely require a computer to determine how many independent companies contributed to a connection.
#7376 by oomg
Wed Apr 15, 2009 6:57 am
chiefjim wrote:
bryanlyle wrote:I really hope they have 24/7 monitoring of their services. If they don't, it might be time to move on.

rosshenning wrote:So much for suggesting this service to my friends and family. I'm not going to take the heat for recommending a service that's so unreliable.

I recall reading somewhere in these forums that on the 13th their entire area experienced Internet connection errors. The major unknown is to what extent Ooma can mitigate such external disruptions. And that is not discounting the possibility something internal was the cause as well

{service just came back online 9:20 EDT}

Just for reference I work for a major national corporation. Almost daily we receive notices that a given site has lost phone service and "has been escalated to AT&T". Outages run the gamut from 30 minutes to 30 hours.

I guess it is a sign of the times. Growing up "Ma Bell" was one company with total responsibility for the connection. These days it would likely require a computer to determine how many independent companies contributed to a connection.

Those of you who may have happened to read some of my prior posts (e.g. maybe you suffer from insomnia) may remember that I have two ooma lines, two T-Mobile lines and one AT&T line at my desk. I have also used the MagicJack.

Since installing ooma I have experienced two separate outages which affected internet and both VOIP systems, plus the now infamous 4/13 ooma system outage and this morning's outage most of which occurred while I was sleeping.

My assessment of the three VOIP services (ooma, T-Mobile and MagicJack) with which I am familiar:

MagicJack: Least expensive by a long shot, but IMHO, not a viable alternative as a primary service... it is o.k. as a supplement to avoid distance calling charges, but the service is sporadic in call quality and calls are frequently dropped or just not completed. Oh yeah, computer must be on to use it.

T-Mobile @home service: Call quality is equal (or at least equal by my standards) to ooma, (both of which are as good or better than my AT&T landline). They add a couple features (voicemail, call waiting and call forwarding) which operate similar to AT&T. Relatively simple to use. Entire system is very stable (now that I have replaced the crappy 2Wire modem that AT&T sold me). $10 per month per line for all distance (U.S.) calling... so $20 per month for two lines. Porting my numbers was fairly quick (about a week) and painless.

ooma: Great call quality (like T-Mobile) and system is very stable once I rewired the system to avoid interfering with the speed of my internet service. Loaded with features that just are not available with MJ or T-M.
While T-Mobile may have a slight (make that very slight) price advantage during the first year (their @home modem is only $50), ooma is the clear price leader in subsequent years if you want two lines. While ooma is easy to use, there is a learning curve associated with their unique features, but well worth the investment in time.

Within the next few months, I will be providing a VOIP service to my son and his family who live in northeast CT. Based upon my experiences, he will be getting an ooma system. He has AT&T basic service (and DSL) and will continue with their basic service as a back up.

Which brings me to a final point. Many ooma users on this forum seem to be so angry and/or frustrated with their landline carrier (AT&T in particular) or anxious dump their carrier, they forget that any VOIP service is likely to experience more service disruptions than their landline service. While I share the frustration (and some of the anger), I recommend keeping at least basic landline service. Thus, when I realized the ooma system was down on the 13th, it took me about a minute (or less) to connect the family phone system to the landline.

oomg
#7384 by WayneDsr
Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:10 am
Same here oomg. I have 2 backups, cell phone and landline at minimum monthly. I was on a call when I noticed ooma down. It had automatically switched over to landline when ooma went down. Amazing.

Wayne
#7391 by oomg
Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:24 am
WayneDsr wrote:Same here oomg. I have 2 backups, cell phone and landline at minimum monthly. I was on a call when I noticed ooma down. It had automatically switched over to landline when ooma went down. Amazing.

Wayne

Yep... too simple. I keep telling people that you are one of the two smartest people on this forum (myself excluded).

Yessiree... I've learned a lot here... two month ago I didn't even know how to spell VOIP now I are one. [Edit: VOIP = Voice Over Internet Person]

I also have cell with T-Mobile but the service is poor in my home area (hills to the northwest of the Rose Bowl in Pasadena).

oomg
#7397 by number9
Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:32 am
I opted for no phone line. I knew the risks. My choice. I did go buy a trac phone last night,..LOL
I mean no offense to any one here, but, this is not a fail safe product, do your home work, know the risks and make an informed intelligent decision. I think it is a mistake to use Voip *I are one too* as your only source for phone service.

Barry
#7424 by tsunamee
Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:11 am
Here in Oregon, got up at 4:30 a.m. PST, and saw the OOMA blinking red again, tab and 1 and 2 buttons. This is very bad, cancelled Vonage and bought this in January thinking what a great way to save money, and the other day cancelled my monthly wireless phone service and went to a GoPhone. I didn't have any problems up until 4/13 and then again today. Not sure what to do at this point. Seems like $200 down the drain if they don't get this problem solved long-term.
#7436 by oomg
Wed Apr 15, 2009 8:30 am
tsunamee wrote:Not sure what to do at this point. Seems like $200 down the drain if they don't get this problem solved long-term.

Not sure what to do at this point?
I can highly recommend consulting with WayneDsr. See above.

$200 down the drain? I don't think so. If I'm not mistaken, that is about eight months of single line Vonage service. Recommendation: Backup service with basic landline. See above.