Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#89153 by sut703
Thu Nov 03, 2011 10:58 am
This has been happening to me for weeks. I have been in contact with customer service regularly, but every time I ask for an update on this, I just get back a "we're still trying to resolve this." I haven't pinpointed yet exactly how often it happens, seems like every few days I have to go back in and set my blacklist and call forwarding options again.
#89181 by sailcat25
Thu Nov 03, 2011 6:11 pm
by sut703 » Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:58 am

This has been happening to me for weeks. I have been in contact with customer service regularly, but every time I ask for an update on this, I just get back a "we're still trying to resolve this." I haven't pinpointed yet exactly how often it happens, seems like every few days I have to go back in and set my blacklist and call forwarding options again.

Community Blacklist option on both my phone numbers were unchecked again yesterday. A few days ago I did a 20 minute reboot on the telo unit. Next I will make a call to customer service even though calling customer service apparently doesn't fix it either.
#89186 by thunderbird
Thu Nov 03, 2011 11:07 pm
Ooma Telo Firmware Update that has started being "Pushed" today, Nov 3, 2011, to eveyone; and will coninue to be "pushed out" over the next two weeks to everyone that owns Ooma Telos, is supposed to fix this problem.

See note bellow:
Ooma Telo 50832 Release Notes:
Fix issue where myooma stops showing new call logs after the telo receives caller-ID containing "&" [11978]

Veiw topic: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=12746 for more information.

I believe this is a result the differences between the old and of the new Ooma servers that has recently been installed.
#89196 by WJBertrand
Fri Nov 04, 2011 10:53 am
Customer support got back to me indicating this might a browser problem? Really?
#89198 by aa3815
Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:31 pm
Does this always occur when updates are being pushed to the units?

I wonder how many of these are configured with the DMZ configuration? Doesn't that leave the units in a unsecured way?
#89199 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:39 pm
aa3815 wrote:Does this always occur when updates are being pushed to the units?

I wonder how many of these are configured with the DMZ configuration? Doesn't that leave the units in a unsecured way?

The Firmware Update is an internal Ooma system Update. Firmware is routed from the Ooma servers to Ooma Telo using the (VPN) Ooma Tunnel.

No security problem what so ever.
#89202 by aa3815
Fri Nov 04, 2011 1:54 pm
Again, thanks for the quick response.
DMZ? Really? I was told by someone that putting anything in the DMZ would be a security risk. Maybe I didn't explain the entire scenario to him?

I hope you getting compensated for answering all of these questions. :D
#89206 by thunderbird
Fri Nov 04, 2011 3:37 pm
aa3815 wrote:Again, thanks for the quick response.
DMZ? Really? I was told by someone that putting anything in the DMZ would be a security risk. Maybe I didn't explain the entire scenario to him?

I hope you getting compensated for answering all of these questions. :D

Some information about Ooma and Security. These are just ideas, and I'm not telling you to do any of these things.
The Ooma devices were designed to "live" in the WAN (Wide Area Network or Internet). In your case, you use a 2-wire rig with only the Ooma Telo connected. So if your 2-wire rig has a DMZ and it will reserve IP addresses for device, you could reserve an IP address with a permanent lease for the Ooma Telo in your Modem/Router. Then put the Ooma Telo's IP address in your Modem/Router's DMZ. No security risk at all because the only device connected to the Modem/Router is the Ooma Telo. Probably you will gain better performance using this configuration.

If you are using the Modem/Router Wi-Fi for your computers, then there could be a possible security risk, with the Ooma Telo's IP address in the Modem/Router DMZ. But if you use the second Router's Wi-Fi instead, no security risk. Also your second Router is providing some additional security for you home's LAN network, and all of your LAN devices will be on the same LAN network, useful for File Sharing and Network printing.

If you want to continue to use the Modem/Router for Wi-Fi connections for your computers, then you have to install Network Security software, like Norton Internet Security, on each Wi-Fi computer. You have to Enable the Norton Security Network Security Map, and set the Ooma Telo's security level to restricted, doing so in each computer connected to the Modem/Router. Then there is no security risk because Norton will block all traffic to/from the Ooma Telo to the Modem/Router Wi-Fi connected computers.

If you wanted to connect your Ooma Telo behind your second Router, then you would reserve an IP address for the second Router in your Modem/Router, then place the second Router's IP address in the Modem/Router's DMZ, for better overall LAN performance. In this configuration, nothing is connected to the Ooma Telo Home port, except temporarily to access Ooma Setup to make adjustments.
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#89208 by aa3815
Fri Nov 04, 2011 4:00 pm
Again, thanks for the quick response and the informative reply on the DMZ, I am not using DMZ, I am using port forwarding, With Microsoft security essentials on all wireless and wired PC'S. I am now considering using the 2nd router for wireless and the Ooma.

Thanks again
#89701 by sailcat25
Fri Nov 18, 2011 5:45 am
I've had the new version for several days now. I did a 20 minute (or more) reboot of the telo last night. Community option unchecked this morning.