Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#99033 by diddlydoo
Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:44 am
Thanks so much for your response and suggestions.

What if I purchased this something like the OBi110 Voice Service Bridge and VoIP Telephone Adapter.

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/OBi110-Service-Br ... =obi+phone

Perhaps I could get the OBI and port my number with Google Voice? Would that work? If only I knew if Google Voice was going to start charging and how much they would charge. I would think still it would be less than paying for Permier though.

I could sell my Ooma since I have the model without monthly fees. Surely someone might be interested in buying that.

I'll have to figure this out. I may end up just keeping Ooma and not paying for premier. If I'm expecting a call and out of town I'll just randomly check for messages. ......just didn't know if Magic Jack might be a easy answer for what I was looking for.
#99034 by murphy
Sun Aug 12, 2012 9:49 am
If you port your number away from Ooma your hub will be deactivated.
It will cost anyone that plans to use it $79.99 to reactivate it and it will be subject to the current taxes and fees.
Make sure that whoever you sell it to knows that it will cost $80 to put it into service.
#99035 by Bob859
Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:02 am
diddlydoo wrote:Thanks so much for your response and suggestions.

What if I purchased this something like the OBi110 Voice Service Bridge and VoIP Telephone Adapter.

Link:
http://www.amazon.com/OBi110-Service-Br ... =obi+phone

Perhaps I could get the OBI and port my number with Google Voice? Would that work? If only I knew if Google Voice was going to start charging and how much they would charge. I would think still it would be less than paying for Permier though.

I could sell my Ooma since I have the model without monthly fees. Surely someone might be interested in buying that.

I'll have to figure this out. I may end up just keeping Ooma and not paying for premier. If I'm expecting a call and out of town I'll just randomly check for messages. ......just didn't know if Magic Jack might be a easy answer for what I was looking for.

I have never used an OBI myself, but from what I have read, yes, that would work. Keep in mind, as Murphy mentioned, it will cost $80 to have the Ooma reinstated with a new number.

Here is another idea: If you cancel Premier and lose your forwarding, you could put an outgoing message on the Ooma voicemail that would direct callers to call either your Google number or your cell number. You will save the cost of Premier and there will be no additional expenses, like there will if you buy an OBI, a MJ or a Nettalk device.
#99038 by diddlydoo
Sun Aug 12, 2012 11:09 am
Good idea about just leaving a forwarding message on my phone.

I'm going to still look into other options that offer call forwarding and I do enjoy call blocking as I get so many junk calls. I don't know why there is even a do not call list as it doesn't seem to do much good.

Thanks for the suggestions. I have until October to decide what to do.
#99041 by lbmofo
Sun Aug 12, 2012 12:54 pm
diddlydoo, google voice only ports in numbers from mobile for now and costs a 1 time fee of $20.

Since you have Premier, assign a new second number to your account. Call into Ooma customer service and swap the position of your numbers (primary to secondary) so your secondary number you just picked from Ooma's number pool becomes the main number of your Ooma account.

Port your 2ndary number (the number that everyone calls you on) out of Ooma to a moible prepaid accout (maybe Tmobile). Then port your mobile number to Google Voice.

That way, you can do what you want with forwarding etc with Google Voice.
#99043 by roadshow
Sun Aug 12, 2012 2:40 pm
lbmofo wrote:diddlydoo, google voice only ports in numbers from mobile for now and costs a 1 time fee of $20.

Since you have Premier, assign a new second number to your account. Call into Ooma customer service and swap the position of your numbers (primary to secondary) so your secondary number you just picked from Ooma's number pool becomes the main number of your Ooma account.

Port your 2ndary number (the number that everyone calls you on) out of Ooma to a moible prepaid accout (maybe Tmobile). Then port your mobile number to Google Voice.

That way, you can do what you want with forwarding etc with Google Voice.

I was going to suggest something similar. I would never give up a non taxed OOMA core account.
#99077 by GMOOMA
Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:42 pm
murphy wrote:If you port your number away from Ooma your hub will be deactivated.
It will cost anyone that plans to use it $79.99 to reactivate it and it will be subject to the current taxes and fees.
Make sure that whoever you sell it to knows that it will cost $80 to put it into service.

What if the original owner suspends their account and reactivates later? Would they incur the fee too?
I've wondered about this.. also, I think the $80 fee is short sighted.. I think it should be no more than $50-- why so high? It discourages used units being resold and getting new customers. Instead of the fee, they should be forced to buy one year of premier @ $99 (non-refundable)... just thinking outside the box here..
#99100 by diddlydoo
Tue Aug 14, 2012 12:06 pm
Wow, didn't realize if I sold my 'no monthly fee' OOMA, the buyer would have to start paying monthly. That sucks. What if I just gave it to someone and they used my secondary number? And the outrageous charge to activate is crazy. I guess there is so much competition out there now that OOMA is needing to make money where they can. I can understand, but at least we, as consumers, have our options if we choose to go another route.

Thanks everyone so much for your advice and suggestions. I learned a lot.