Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#94130 by big al
Sun Mar 18, 2012 1:15 pm
i tried a magicjack plus and returned it because it would not let me make long distance calla in my own area code without
buying some time. they do not tell you that are certain area codes that you cant call without paying extra. after spending a half a day on their cs chat line( they have no cs phone line) with people that didn't know what they were talking about they
finally said I had to buy time to call the 701 area code, but said it would be about 2 cents a minuet. a big lie. I bought
$10.00 worth of time thinking iwould get about 400 to 500 minuets but got 23. I made one call of less than a minute
and was charged 43 cents. Went on the customer service chat line , thy said thats the way it is. I said deactivate and
refund my money. End of story.
#94140 by lbmofo
Sun Mar 18, 2012 8:38 pm
big al wrote:i tried a magicjack plus and returned it because it would not let me make long distance calla in my own area code without
buying some time. they do not tell you that are certain area codes that you cant call without paying extra. after spending a half a day on their cs chat line( they have no cs phone line) with people that didn't know what they were talking about they
finally said I had to buy time to call the 701 area code, but said it would be about 2 cents a minuet. a big lie. I bought
$10.00 worth of time thinking iwould get about 400 to 500 minuets but got 23. I made one call of less than a minute
and was charged 43 cents. Went on the customer service chat line , thy said thats the way it is. I said deactivate and
refund my money. End of story.

The above is another example of the "weird stuff" MagicJack does that doesn't sit well with me.

lbmofo wrote:I wouldn't go to them cheezy outfits like MagicJack and others because they do weird stuff that doesn't sit well with me (cuts your call off after so many minutes for example); besides the quality is terrible (had a gal at work call into conference using it she sounded like Max Headroom most of the time).
#98862 by GMOOMA
Wed Aug 08, 2012 10:40 am
lbmofo wrote:If you have a few minutes and want to be entertained....

Nettalk Duo VOIP review Pros & Cons - Begbucks

MagicJack Magic Jack USB Phone Line Adapter Through Review Test - Begbucks

I found this guy to be so hilarious that I was in tears.

This is why when I did my HOMEWORK in researching these VOIP hardware companies.. alot of them are "BEST EFFORT" service.. OOMA doesn't rest on those laurels.. they have a higher standard, which many people like alot better! Even Nettalk's strict 3k minutes plus overages didn't sit well with me.. even though I come nowhere near 3k mins-- it was a red flag of sorts.
#98991 by diddlydoo
Sat Aug 11, 2012 7:17 am
Magic Jack vs. OOMA - somes questions
I just saw a Magic Jack commercial online. It now advertises to let you keep your phone number.

I have a OOMA and have to pay 119.00 per year just for the Premier service so that I can use the call forwarding.

If I purchase a Magic Jack and port my number, will I be able to use call forwarding for free? Does it have that capability? I'd love to do away with paying 119.00 per year just to forward calls with OOMA.

Also Magic Jack advertised that you no longer need to have it plugged into your computer.

All I'm interested in as far as a home phone is to be able to keep my phone number and be able to forward those calls to my cell. I hate that OOMA has to charge so much for call forwarding.
#98996 by Bob859
Sat Aug 11, 2012 8:53 am
diddlydoo wrote:Magic Jack vs. OOMA - somes questions
I just saw a Magic Jack commercial online. It now advertises to let you keep your phone number.

I have a OOMA and have to pay 119.00 per year just for the Premier service so that I can use the call forwarding.

If I purchase a Magic Jack and port my number, will I be able to use call forwarding for free? Does it have that capability? I'd love to do away with paying 119.00 per year just to forward calls with OOMA.

Also Magic Jack advertised that you no longer need to have it plugged into your computer.

All I'm interested in as far as a home phone is to be able to keep my phone number and be able to forward those calls to my cell. I hate that OOMA has to charge so much for call forwarding.

Yes, you could forward your number, but you may not be satisfied with the quality of Magic Jack.

Here is a suggestion: Set up a free Google number. That will give you the ability to route your calls to your ooma and/or your cell. You could then quit your Premier service. That would save you the cost of Priemier and the cost of Magic Jack. The Google numbers are free now, but although there is no guarantee that they will always be free, I don't think the cost will ever be a significant amount..... definitely less than Premier and probably less than Magic Jack.
#99003 by diddlydoo
Sat Aug 11, 2012 12:39 pm
I do have a Google Voice number but rarely use it. I'd like to keep my number that I have now hence the reason why I went with OOMA. I wanted to port my number.

Can Google Voice port my number? If so, would I need any other devices to set that up. I'm no tech guru to say the least.

As far as quality of Magic jack, I don't really use the home phone that much but again, want to keep my home number. I will usually just forward calls from home phone to my cell so I'm talking on the cell if I get a call on home phone.
#99026 by Bob859
Sun Aug 12, 2012 6:24 am
diddlydoo wrote:I do have a Google Voice number but rarely use it. I'd like to keep my number that I have now hence the reason why I went with OOMA. I wanted to port my number.

Can Google Voice port my number? If so, would I need any other devices to set that up. I'm no tech guru to say the least.

As far as quality of Magic jack, I don't really use the home phone that much but again, want to keep my home number. I will usually just forward calls from home phone to my cell so I'm talking on the cell if I get a call on home phone.

Yes, Google Voice will port your number, but here's the rub: You would then have to reinstate the Ooma with a new number. I don't know how much Ooma would charge you for that, so I would suggest asking them before doing it.

If quality is not a concern for you and you just want a forwarding source, maybe the Magic Jack Plus would be okay. I used MJ before I got my Ooma and I think that MJ is a rather sleazy company, though. Another possibility, that is similar to MJ would be Nettalk. You can read about it here: http://nettalk.com