Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#88700 by thunderbird
Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:17 am
Gearscout wrote:Rather than become overwrought on this one, I think we should all welcome the VOIP competition that is driving better products, lower prices and better ease-of-use!

You words hit the nail right on the head. :D

I've noticed that Ooma has some problems where they will give you something, and then later Ooma takes the gift away, without the Ooma user being informed that it was a gift. There is no notification of the gift, or understanding what was the conditions of the gift in the first place. Maybe more competition will correct this problem, but in this case I doubt it. :x

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=12663
Last edited by thunderbird on Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#88705 by Bob859
Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:39 pm
oomg wrote:
lbmofo wrote:
oomg wrote:
Having said all that, Ooma is far superior to MJ. MJ+ may be an improvement in the sense that it does not require that the PC be running, but I believe the quality difference is based primarily on the network or software being used by MJ.

I used a MagicJack for awhile, before I got my Ooma. While it is true that MJ+ is an improvement over the old MJ, I don't think that it is on the same level as Ooma. One of the things that I like about Ooma, is that I do not have to run it through my router. I also have a much higher opinion of the company that operates Ooma, than I do of Magic Jack. MJ seems rather sleazy. I don't like the way that their website claimed that the trial offer would run out, and there was a count-down that would show when. The count-down was reset everyday for years. If I wanted an alternative to Ooma, I would consider Nettalk before I would consider MJ.
#88918 by psmsmallengines
Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:34 am
Had the Old Magicjack, also delt with majicjack customer service, or lackthereof. True, Ooma has had som e issues with Customer service, but I have seen an improvement in the last three days with an issue I had with Ooma and their response. I think they are trying, I never got any of that from magicjack, my two cents. I'll stick with ooma
Last edited by psmsmallengines on Tue Nov 01, 2011 11:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
#88978 by murphy
Sat Oct 29, 2011 12:38 pm
lecandotnet wrote:Please give a link to doanload mobile Ooma.

You have to purchase it from either the iPhone app store or the Android Market.
#93423 by demeulenaere
Mon Feb 27, 2012 4:11 pm
OK...I was really hoping that Ooma would have fixed an very annoying problem. I love their quality, but if I use a standard phone, cordless or corded, the person we are talking to will get a tone like we accidentally hit a number on the phone. We went to the ooma cordless handsets, which for some magical reason do not have this problem. I saw that the ooma telo was upgraded (admin page was all new) so I decided to put on standard cordless phone, but we have the same problem.

Also the quality (dropping calls) seems to have gone up lately...a powercycle of the telo usually corrects it for a while. Not sure if this has to do with us moving to ATT UVerse, which I went from 3mg down 350 up, to 12 mg down and 1.3mg up...so I would have thought service would be better, but it could be a UVersere issue with their wireless/router/phone bundle (we are only using the internet).

My parents are using the magicjack + and we never have heard the tones, but the call quality isn't as good to me...even when I call them from my cell, there are dropped packets/voice periodically.

Three big negatives for me and Ooma...the tax going up from 12 bucks a year to 3.47 a month, the ooma handsets are so cheaply made where the battery dies for no reason, and this tone issue on normal phones.
#93429 by EX Bell
Mon Feb 27, 2012 6:00 pm
Are your cordless phones AT&T or Uniden? I have new Panasonic DECT 6.0 phones and we don't have this issue. Not caused by the phone, but rather the pitch of certain peoples voice. From other posts I've read, it seems that owners of AT&T phones report this often. Could be the frequency at which they amplify combined with the pitch of certain people's voices.

One of the regulars posted a link to a conversation about this issue here
#93840 by MULE75
Fri Mar 09, 2012 11:33 am
Hope you enjoy you MagicJack... I had once and all kinds of problems. can not to what OOMA can do. No 2nd Phone number.
Block list and ect. Will stick with OOMA
#93891 by HikernMass
Sun Mar 11, 2012 2:45 pm
This is the way I look at it.
Wilsonium probably sead it best!
You get what you paid for!!!!!!!!!!!!
Now I will admit this is biased, but also factual.
The quality of calls is superior. Yes its money up front. Actually cheap money for what you get. Over the long term well we all know the pay back!
Obviously pending the quality of the Oooma Telo box. (some have had problems, which Ooma has quickly corrected and replaced)
With that said; Ooma constantly updates its programs to insure quality and correct any issues, not to mention continual improvements. Does MagicJack do that ????
One thing Ooma has to do is fix this fax mess. I know they are working on it. Here I have issues and has to be corrected for total home use and telecommunication.
Lets face it you can't get things for nothing!
Again you get what you pay for. With Ooma you do get a good bang for the buck.
#94075 by corbinzak
Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:16 pm
I had purchased MagicJack Plus for a family member and quality is fine and when you pay for the yearly or 5 year prepay they collect taxes as well.