Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#88305 by joe123
Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:40 am
Do they explain what is the difference bettwen "Voice" and "Call Quality"?

I don't understand how you can have excellent Voice with terrible call quality.
#88306 by lbmofo
Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:43 am
Do you mean "Value?" the first column?

Ooma
Reliability = Good, Call Quality = Good

MagicJack
Reliability = Poor, Call Quality = Poor
#88307 by joe123
Wed Oct 12, 2011 11:47 am
Thanks for clarifying that. It was hard to read the chart and I mis-read "Value" as Voice.
#88634 by oomg
Thu Oct 20, 2011 7:06 am
So, why is MJ exempt from regulatory fees?
#88656 by oomg
Fri Oct 21, 2011 7:57 am
lbmofo wrote:
oomg wrote:So, why is MJ exempt from regulatory fees?

Not sure if some of the things in this thread are still valid: http://www.magicjacksupport.com/magicjack72122.html
But MJ collects fees from customers and then pays whatever taxes they are imposed. They also make up some revenue from the ads on pc screen etc. viewtopic.php?t=11317

Thanks. Looks like new MJ systems are subject to the regulatory fees and/or user taxes. There seems to be a lot of confusion on that forum between Florida's sales tax and the reg fees and/or user taxes. From my understanding, sales taxes are generally measured by the sales price of tangible personal property. So, if Florida has a 6% sales tax and the value of the MJ device is $20, the sales tax would be $1.20. Regulatory fees and user taxes are more likely a combination of a flat rate plus an excise tax based on the value of the service.

Having said all that, Ooma is far superior to MJ. MJ+ may be an improvement in the sense that it does not require that the PC be running, but I believe the quality difference is based primarily on the network or software being used by MJ.
#88660 by Lakeo
Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:22 am
I purchased a MJ+ last week to potentially use at a vacation property, rather than taking my Telo back and forth between Winter and Summer locations. I'd just forward the OOMA calls to the MJ+.

The unit installed without any problems, and the call quality was good. Worked fine in stand alone mode without a computer attached.

The deal killer for me was that MJ, in essence, forces you to use their voice mail. It picks up in four rings, and is not adjustable. I want to use my answering machine since it "Beeps" to alert me when a VM is waiting, and I don't have to call in, or wait for an audio file email to get the VM.

MJ's work around is to set your answering machine to three rings so it picks up before MJ. Three problems; First my answering machine does not have a three ring option. More importantly, I want calls picked up on my machine at four rings, not three, not five. Most importantly, my wife wants to use our answering machine, and is not going to change. End of discussion! :(

Second issue, the MJ+ caller ID displays only a phone number and no name. I confirmed on the unofficial MJ support site that this is the case and can't be changed. Caller ID without a name is useless in my opinion.

Bottom line in my case, the MJ+ is not user friendly. It is a cheap way to make outgoing calls only, but if you want a flexible top grade phone system, OOMA Rules!

The MJ+ was returned for refund.

lakeo
#88663 by joe123
Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:52 am
For me the deal breaker (one of many) that I prefer Ooma over MagicJack is that MJ cuts your call if it's longer than 1.5 (or so) hours.

I was once using MJ talking to a person with a very sensative issue only to have the call terminated by MJ right at the worse possible moment. Not a very pleasant expereince.
#88671 by harry12
Fri Oct 21, 2011 2:58 pm
MJ+ would have been nice when I regularly traveled outside of North America. I'm now retired so
the need is no longer there.
#88697 by Gearscout
Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:20 am
My Ooma experience has been excellent, but I'm always looking for a better deal.

Ooma's Mobile App allows me to phone home from anywhere in the world for free. Essentially, because I work overseas often, it pays the entire cost of annual PREMIUM subscription in a couple of weeks' travel.

Magic Jack plus can travel, too, but it's new, free (Ooma mobile costs $10 and requires Premium membership) doesn't call international numbers (unless it's a MJ connection.) I need to call international cell phones and landlines and Ooma let's me do that at a low price.

No second line with Magic Jack Plus. No option I can see.

Overall, I think Ooma has better web based controls, call forwarding, multi-ring etc.

Rather than become overwrought on this one, I think we should all welcome the VOIP competition that is driving better products, lower prices and better ease-of-use!