Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#87722 by Lord Vader
Wed Sep 28, 2011 12:33 pm
Verizon doesn't seem to know what they're talking about then, because this summer I inquired about their FIOS offering in Illinois, or lack thereof, and was told emphatically and exactly, "Illinois doesn't presently allow our FIOS service." I even contacted my state senator, someone with whom I'm familiar, and he said a bill has been brought up before to ease restrictions on FIOS and similar technological advancements, but nothing has come of them lately.

Strange. But that's Illinois politics for you.

Edited to add--that link you provided is rather misleading. First, it doesn't work when one inputs various addresses. Second, it ends up taking one to a link to compare high speed Internet services available in Illinois. FIOS is not one of these.
#87726 by HikernMass
Wed Sep 28, 2011 1:37 pm
I live outside Boston in a Condo Community of 108 Units. I just thought I would describe the cable cluster hook up I have.
Anyway, I have Comcast and have no problems on any of the things listed (i.e.Jitter etc.)
The only problem I have is every year seeing the increase in the Comcast bill.
Though I am tech savy I am definately not a pro. It seems like more people have problems with DSL than Cable.
It is my observation reading a lot on the Ooma blogs, but I may be wrong. Any opinions on this ??
#87745 by WayneDsr
Wed Sep 28, 2011 7:28 pm
HikernMass wrote:I live outside Boston in a Condo Community of 108 Units. I just thought I would describe the cable cluster hook up I have.
Anyway, I have Comcast and have no problems on any of the things listed (i.e.Jitter etc.)
The only problem I have is every year seeing the increase in the Comcast bill.
Though I am tech savy I am definately not a pro. It seems like more people have problems with DSL than Cable.
It is my observation reading a lot on the Ooma blogs, but I may be wrong. Any opinions on this ??

AT&T DSL here 6 down and 640 k up. I have an ooma hub and a Telo and never have any quality issues at all. The hub is our main unit and on a day to day basis it works as well or better than our old landline.

Wayne
#87857 by allo
Sat Oct 01, 2011 7:11 pm
highq wrote:Why does Illinois prohibit FIOS?

FIOS is Verizon... and in order to get it the area must be services by Verizon ...
Illinois is serviced by ATT and it has its own: U-verse High Speed Internet.

Having Fios or U-verse will not guarantee seamless OOMA connection nor a better phone service : it does not need all that speed... one doesn't need more than 512 k ... other factors make or break internet phone connection: jitter/ping...

Bandwidth - Measured as the number of bits transferred per second. VoIP requires anywhere from 24kbps to 90kbps. Bandwidth is rarely an issue for Cable/DSL/Fiber.

Delay- Measured in milliseconds (ms). The longer the delay the more difficult a conversation becomes. The ITU recommend that one way delay should not exceed 400ms for acceptable speech quality (<100ms is good).

Packet Loss - Measured as a percentage. Your voice is transmitted digitally over the internet in segments, referred to as "packets". A packet loss of up to 5% will go largely unnoticed. Above that reduces call quality.

Jitter - Jitter when applied to VoIP is a variation in packet transit delay (from queuing, contention and serialization effects on the path through the network). Faster, higher bandwidth networks tend to have less jitter. A QoS device like an ATA can help eliminate some of this jitter.