Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#6922 by Bholden
Tue Apr 14, 2009 7:45 am
I activated Ooma yesterday and I called to see if my current number is portable. Customer Service told me it isn't. I asked why and she didn't give me an answer.

So why is it not portable? I've had this number with AT&T for 5 years. Can I call AT&T and tell them to port the number?
#6932 by Bholden
Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:26 am
Thanks but it doesn't. I'm not moving out of the geographical area and I obviously want to port the number.

Ooma is telling me they can't port the number ---- I'm confused as to why Ooma can't port the number over.
#6960 by lohertz
Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:47 am
Could be a couple reasons:

• Your internet is connected to your phone line. Such as dsl with ATnT service. ATnT will lock your number until you release the DSL and place an order for a dry loop.

• Ooma is not registered in you Rate Center. Which basically means they are not provisioned to use your number because Ooma isn't in your geographic location. Can you obtain a new phone number in your local calling area. I would guess no.
#6964 by Bholden
Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:53 am
lohertz wrote:Could be a couple reasons:

• Your internet is connected to your phone line. Such as dsl with ATnT service. ATnT will lock your number until you release the DSL and place an order for a dry loop.

• Ooma is not registered in you Rate Center. Which basically means they are not provisioned to use your number because Ooma isn't in your geographic location. Can you obtain a new phone number in your local calling area. I would guess no.

Don't have DSL, <sarcasm> I have my favorite ISP Ever</sarcasm> TWC.

Ooma does have phone numbers in my area code (210) and I got one yesterday when I signed up --- their numbers in the 210 area seem to be limited
#7004 by Pandora
Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:28 pm
Bholden wrote:
ooma-fan wrote:Does the following "number availability page" return the same result?

http://www.ooma.com/learn/port.php

Yeah, try it out for a 210 number

Ooma provides port information on its website to help people avoid the very awful situation you find yourself in.

I believe it is linked off the home page. I plugged in a random 210 number, and it came up portable. I don't know what your exchange is, but if it wasn't listed as portable on the website before your Ooma purchase then you took a chance.

Before ordering Ooma, all my phone numbers were checked to assure they could be ported.

Thank you Ooma for providing this free, easy to use, and easy to see service on your site.
#7008 by lohertz
Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:39 pm
Just because they have service in your area code, that doesn't mean they are in your rate center. The rate center is defined by what is your "local calling area" traditionally defined as the are where you have 7 digit dialing, but even that definition is dying (it has here in this area).
#7051 by Dennis P
Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:37 pm
In general we can't port a number if don't have "coverage" in the area through one of our carrier partners. That said, if we have a phone number available to pick from in your area, we should be able to port your number. Can you email me the specific phone number you are trying to port and I'll look into it?

Bholden wrote:I activated Ooma yesterday and I called to see if my current number is portable. Customer Service told me it isn't. I asked why and she didn't give me an answer.

So why is it not portable? I've had this number with AT&T for 5 years. Can I call AT&T and tell them to port the number?