Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#87155 by Lord Vader
Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:21 am
I'm sure most will agree with you, most likely as a result of the "fan boy" syndrome or the "Ooma can do no wrong" mentality.

The net net of it is that your "free trial period" is indeed free; because you get 1 year + 60 days for the 1 year prmier price. I still see nothing wrong.

I would see nothing wrong with this, either, if they marketed it and advertised it this way, but they don't. All they have to do is specifically state that one could get Premier for 14 months at the price of 12. However, they state that one can get Premier "free for 60 days." They further state in print that you "will not be charged." Remember, as I mentioned earlier in this thread, I spent many years in sales and sales management. Whenever we had free trial periods for any goods or services, even if we collected customers' billing information, our lawyers reminded us that we could not legally charge them anything if we advertised a period in which they would receive such goods or services free. Ooma is doing just that.

I'll finish this post by stating that I'm not sitting here foaming at the mouth; rather, I am very disappointed in Ooma because of this. I believe it tarnishes their reputation. (Now, don't get me started on how they've just screwed up an order I recently placed for a piece of hardware!)
#87156 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:46 am
Lord Vader wrote:I'm sure most will agree with you, most likely as a result of the "fan boy" syndrome or the "Ooma can do no wrong" mentality.

I guess you haven't read too many posts here. Far from it.

Lord Vader wrote:I am very disappointed in Ooma because of this. I believe it tarnishes their reputation.

Because Ooma doesn't want to front you porting for free in addition to free Premier trial? Laughable notion.
If you had it your way, during a 2 month Netflix free trial, you sign up for 1 year subscription because you get 2 free DVDs to own that way (vs defaulting into a monthly subscription after trial)...Netflix would ship you the 2 DVDs right away to own for free and then won't charge you for the subscription until your 2 month free trial is up right?
#87157 by Lord Vader
Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:55 am
Because Ooma doesn't want to front you porting for free in addition to free Premier trial? Laughable notion.

Then perhaps they ought not advertise it as free. Like I've said more than once already (but you apparently didn't read that part), if they were clear in their charging for a porting fee during a "free" trial, then I'd have no issue with that; but they weren't clear about this at all. When November rolls around and I go with Premier for one year, I'll be charged for the one year plan. Ooma will deduct the $39.99 already paid for my porting, or they'll credit me the $39.99 and charge me $119.99 for Premier. Either way, I'm sure that's not how they originally intended to go about it. They were just forced to because a customer was wise enough to catch them at a deceptive pricing shell game.