Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#86801 by Lord Vader
Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:45 pm
That's not what the supervisor explained what would happen. As he stated, if I do nothing, I would revert to Basic. Because no one seems to know for sure, I said I'd call before the date simply to make sure I retain Premier.
#87144 by Lord Vader
Wed Sep 14, 2011 4:43 pm
I'm really getting fed up with Ooma's tactics. It was bad enough I had to escalate the matter of being charged for my free trial. Now, imagine my surprise when my credit card is charged $39.99 for number porting. I ended up going with Premier, which is supposed to include the free number port, but today I found out I got charged the $39.99 to port the number, which is a ridiculously exorbitant fee anyway.
#87145 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:04 pm
Lord Vader wrote:I'm really getting fed up with Ooma's tactics. It was bad enough I had to escalate the matter of being charged for my free trial. Now, imagine my surprise when my credit card is charged $39.99 for number porting. I ended up going with Premier, which is supposed to include the free number port, but today I found out I got charged the $39.99 to port the number, which is a ridiculously exorbitant fee anyway.

Wait, did you sign up for a year's worth of Premier when you purchased number porting (to get port free)? That would explain you being charged right away for the 1 year Premier. Did you subsequently try to cancel the Premier charge? That would explain the $39.99 charge for the porting. If you backed out of Premier subscription somehow, you can still get credit for the porting fee if you subscribe to Premier (1 year) before your trial ends. FYI, $39.99 is almost wholesale price of porting cost (charged by many vendors out there) due to highly manual tasks involved in porting in/out of landline/voip providers. It is free with regular phone service providers because they make that money back in the 1st month or so in monthly charges.

Lord Vader wrote:He said that wouldn't happen, but we'll see. BTW, he did tell me that the reason I was charged immediately was because I ordered online. He said their website is designed to process and charge an order immediately.

Sorry, I missed this text from your previous post. I don't know about others but when I explicitly sign up for something, I expect to get charged right away; don't expect a delay charge. Basically, you bought a year's worth of Premier (to start after the free trial period ends); what's wrong with being charged right away? Especially when you get number porting service for free.
#87146 by Lord Vader
Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:25 pm
Let's just put it this way--Ooma is very vague in how they describe things as "free trial," "free number porting," etc. They specifically stated in writing that when someone signs up for Premier for a year, there is a 60-day trial period in which one will not be charged. However, Ooma does, in fact, immediately charge one's credit card $119.99. They try to pass this off as a "free trial" when, in reality and legality, it is not. I went up to a supervisor level, and he agreed, saying further that in order to get the first 60 days free, I should have called them. Signing up online does not get one the "free" 60-day trial period, even though Ooma's online promotion and description states that one will not be charged for this 60-day period.

Signing up for the premier also results in one being able to port a number at no cost if one also signs up for the Premier 1-year plan, which I did on the free trial. I can understand them billing me the $39.99 for the porting fee when my 60-day Premier trial period expires if I don't take the 1-year paid plan, because obviously I will not have been eligible for the free porting. Now I'm faced with contacting them in early November when my 60-day trial period has expired, and asking them to refund me the $39.99 for the porting fee when they do, in fact, bill me the $119.99 for the Premier 12-month plan, or charging me the cost of the annual Premier plan minus the $39.99 already charged.

When I spoke to a customer service rep about this today, she tried to play this game where Ooma would charge me for the annual Premier plan now at a cost of only $60.00, which factors in the $39.99 porting fee already assessed and gives a $20 overall "discount." Sure, this might sound nice, but (A) I'm in my free trial and shouldn't be charged anything now, and (B) my Premier plan would run through September 2012, effectively wiping out this 60-day "free trial."

Seriously, the way they advertise this whole thing is just ridiculous. I've spent many years in sales and marketing before changing careers. I am not one who tries to screw companies or get freebies any way I can. However, I get quite upset when companies can't be up front, honest, and straightforward with their pricing and procedures. As far as I'm concerned, the whole way Ooma has done this and the way they market themselves with respect to this entire Premier plan and the "free" trial/number porting etc. stinks to high Heaven.
#87147 by Lord Vader
Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:32 pm
lbmofo wrote:
Lord Vader wrote:...what's wrong with being charged right away? Especially when you get number porting service for free.

What's wrong with being charged for something that is supposed to be free? Do you seriously want me to answer that question? Furthermore, if I signed up for something that as you stated begins after this 60-day period, shouldn't I be charged at the time the paid purchase begins? That makes obvious sense.

If I offer you something for FREE, give it to you, then charge you for it, I have violated both the law and ethical business practices.

As far as signing up for something free (or even at a reduced price) and expecting to be charged, no offense, but that's not very smart on your part. You're being woefully naive.

A real life example: I have several times in the last year or two signed up for membership in an online site or a video streaming service. Each time I have done so during a trial period usually of a 7-day or similar duration. Each time the signup explicitly states that I won't be charged on my credit card during this trial period, but if I do not cancel my membership after the 7-day period, my credit card will, in fact, be charged. With you, however, you would sign up then expect an immediate charge. That's ridiculous. It's also unlawful and unethical. If something is specifically advertised and promoted as a free trial, then a customer should not be charged for the service or goods during said free trial.
#87151 by lbmofo
Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:16 pm
I think you are being unreasonable.

You are not being short changed in anyway not matter how you look at it.

Option 1: You pay for your porting fee now. Before Premier Trial ends, you pay for 1 year Premier. You get your porting fee credited back. For your 1 year Premier subscription fee, you end up getting free porting and you get 1 year + 60 days of Premier. Benefit of this option is you delay being charged for 1 year Premier.

Option 2: You pay for 1 year of Premier now, during your free trial. You don't have to pay for porting your number. For your 1 year Premier subscription fee, you get free porting and 1 year + 60 days of Premier. Benefit of this option, don't have to remind yourself to buy 1 year Premier before trial ends (won't get credit for porting fee if you sign up after trial ends). Basically, do it now and forget about it.

You chose option 2 at first but you called in to complain about being charged right away so Ooma changed you back to option 1. I don't see anything wrong with what Ooma did.

What you are wanting is basically have Ooma eat the cost of your porting and charge you after 60 days when your paid Premier starts. I am sorry but that's not logical. When you checked out your shopping cart on my.ooma.com and paid for the 1 year Premier, did you see anything that made you think the charge is supposed to be delayed? I think not.

Your other examples are not valid because Ooma is doing what all other guys are doing (nothing wrong). Won't charge you until your trial ends (and you don't opt out; Ooma's activation process makes clear that you need to opt out during trial unless you activate Ooma Core). Default enrollment is monthly Premier. With the monthly, you don't get the porting for free. That's the difference. If you want the free gift (porting in this case), you sign up for 1 year Premier right away and of course, you pay for it right away. If you don't want to pay for it right away, you have option 1.

Ooma is an upright company, always fair to customers. Ooma is not how you describe them to be.
#87153 by Lord Vader
Wed Sep 14, 2011 11:45 pm
When Ooma states in print that a customer will not be charged anything during the free trial but ends up doing just that, that is deceptive. What I ask is not illogical.

I am being accurate when I say that Ooma goes about this in a very vague but intentional manner. They advertise for a FREE trial. Like my example I mentioned, neither I nor anyone else should be charged during this trial. Upon conclusion of this trial, whether it's opt-in or opt-out (either is really irrelevant), if I wish to continue the same level of service, here being Premier, then and only then should I be charged for the $119.99 amount. If I decided to not continue with Premier, then and only then should I be assessed the $39.99 porting fee.

It doesn't take a rocket scientist to figure this out. If Ooma's actions were so normal or so typical, then why is this the only company among dozens with whom I have done business that does this in such a manner? I have never experienced such backward, unclear, and shifty billing practices from any Internet-related company with whom I have ever done business.

As I alluded to earlier, I could easily accept either option to which you refer if Ooma simply advertises that way, but they don't. Contrary to what you claim, Ooma does, indeed, state that a new sign-up will not be charged anything. The implication is clear, then--sign up, get a free trial, then be charged.
#87154 by lbmofo
Thu Sep 15, 2011 12:07 am
Signing up for 1 year premier (during free trial) to get a free gift such as porting changes everything. If you take that action, you are rightfully getting charged, right away. The net net of it is that your "free trial period" is indeed free; because you get 1 year + 60 days for the 1 year prmier price. I still see nothing wrong.

You obviously have a different thinking cap on so I'll defer to others to chime in. I'd be surpised if others think the same way as you.