Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#86781 by Lord Vader
Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:06 am
Suffice it to say that I am NOT very happy with Ooma's deceptive trickery regarding their so-call "free 60-day trial" of Premier. They advertise and state that when one purchases the Telo system, one can sign up for Premier but will not be charged for it during the 60-day "free trial." However, I was, in fact, charged $119.99! Their explanation was both BS and unacceptable. I was told that my Premier subscription begins in 60 days and continues for 12 months, but I am charged the $119.99 immediately.

This is an outright deceptive and misleading advertisement on their part, so much so that I am most likely going to cancel their service, return the Telo, and go with someone else who doesn't pull this crap. If they specifically state that there is a 60-day free trial period, then I should not be charged a penny during this 60-day period.
#86782 by robm15
Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:11 am
I'm not sure what you read, or didn't read.

But when I signed up for Premier with 60 days free, I understood that I'd be charged right away but still get the equivalent of 60 days free, and then the 12 months I paid for.
#86783 by Lord Vader
Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:15 am
There's no "equivalent of". Either the 60 day trial period is free or it's not. I spent many years in sales and marketing. What they advertise is NOT what they're delivering. A "free trial" is just that--FREE. No cost. No charge. At the end of this free trial period, I then am to be charged the $119.99. If I didn't like their service, I could walk away not having spent a dime. If I wanted to continue the service, then the annual subscription begins and the $119.99 charge is to be assessed.

Their advertising is blatantly misleading!
#86785 by just4fn
Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:38 am
If you are that pissed off, I would just return the system get your refund and begin paying 25.00 or more a month again. For me the 120.00 a month gets me a superior phone system and I hope to help keep the company in business. I haven't had a phone bill in over 2 years and I really hope Ooma stays in business. Anything I can do to help them helps me. Don't bite the hand that feeds you because it may not be there to give you food. At 12.00 a month is what 2 packs of cig's, 3 latte's, one car wash, 3 gallons of gas, 1 movie, one drink at a restaurant, 1lb of coffee, 1 good steak at a store. I also understand that most people that are looking for something for free have that type of personality and expect everything for free. This is what the price line does for ooma is attract this type of personality. It must be hard to work with a bunch of mooch's- me included. Just my 2 cents but you got it for free.
#86786 by Lord Vader
Mon Sep 05, 2011 8:48 am
No, I don't have some freebie type of mentality. Your juvenile characterization of a legitimate complaint is neither desired nor appreciated. In a tough economy and dealing with the loss of a job, I'm looking to SAVE money, not get lied to by a company that clearly advertised a FREE TRIAL period but still charged for this period. I did NOT get Premier for free.

I was a very satisfied Vonage customer for 6 years. I simply didn't want to spend the $50/month I had been spending. Like so many Americans facing unexpected economic hardship, I am looking to reduce monthly expenditures wherever I can. Right now, every penny counts. I can go back to Vonage for 12 months, no contract, and they have agreed to lower my monthly cost to $12. That's a huge savings over what I had been paying.

Ooma sounded good, but their blatantly misleading and false advertising was unacceptable. I spent many years in sales and marketing, and when we held free trial periods, our lawyers specifically explained to us that even though we had our customers' billing information, we could not charge them for anything during a free trial period. This is what a free trial period is for--if at the end of this trial period I do not like and do not want to continue the service, I walk away without being assessed a cost. If, however, I do like the service, then at that time I am to be assessed a fee for it. This is how Ooma advertises. If a customer purchases a Telo, the explanation in writing is right there: "...you will not be charged."
#86792 by southsound
Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:22 am
Lord Vader wrote:Suffice it to say that I am NOT very happy with Ooma's deceptive trickery regarding their so-call "free 60-day trial" of Premier. They advertise and state that when one purchases the Telo system, one can sign up for Premier but will not be charged for it during the 60-day "free trial." However, I was, in fact, charged $119.99! Their explanation was both BS and unacceptable. I was told that my Premier subscription begins in 60 days and continues for 12 months, but I am charged the $119.99 immediately.

This is an outright deceptive and misleading advertisement on their part, so much so that I am most likely going to cancel their service, return the Telo, and go with someone else who doesn't pull this crap. If they specifically state that there is a 60-day free trial period, then I should not be charged a penny during this 60-day period.

I am blown away by this. It is NOT the way it used to be and must be a mistake. The plan started out when I bought my first ooma as an "opt in" when the trial was over. Then it became an "opt out." Tacky, but that's what ooma marketing did. If they have changed things to match what happened to you, then they need to change them back! It is dishonest and not what I would expect from a company that is normally very good at doing business the right way.

The c/s reps are noted for sometimes not giving the correct explanation when they lack knowledge. Unacceptable, but that's just what happens. I would shoot off a pm to Norm Toy and see if he can't sort things out for you. You can click here to send him a pm.
#86794 by Lord Vader
Mon Sep 05, 2011 11:40 am
Before I do that, I'll give them time to see if the help they promised me comes through. I spoke about an hour ago with a CSR supervisor (the regular CSR kept reading me the company line of a "free" trial). I explained my situation and told him that I simply believed their advertising is blatantly misleading. He agreed to refund my credit card $119.99 and said that my Premier trial period would expire on 11-4-11. If I do not contact Ooma by then, then I will revert to Basic. If I want to keep Premier, then I would call them and tell them I wish to do just that.

I have no problem with this, because if you ask me, THAT is how this whole thing is supposed to be from the start. I sign up for Premier, try it out for 60 days, then if I want it, I pay for and keep the annual plan for $119.99, a cost to be charged at that 60-day time period expiration and not before.

My only concern is that when he refunds my card, he doesn't cancel and remove Premier altogether. He said that wouldn't happen, but we'll see. BTW, he did tell me that the reason I was charged immediately was because I ordered online. He said their website is designed to process and charge an order immediately. He stated that to avoid being charged this $119.99 fee immediately, I should have called them on the phone to place the order. Granted, this doesn't make sense, but that's what he said.
#86799 by highq
Mon Sep 05, 2011 12:43 pm
Lord Vader wrote:Well, if I decide to stay with Premier, I'll just call them and tell them I wish to do so.

Uh, not.

It's an opt-out regime, so call Ooma if you do NOT want Premier service, do nothing if you're ready for Ooma to charge your credit card.