Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#6772 by chiefjim
Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:59 pm
We need a section for Ooma status that are from the Ooma staff only. I can see that I'm offline, I can read that others are offline. But wading through dozens of messages to learn why is a total waste of time.

What I want to read is why. What is being done about it. And ETA's of when the repairs are likely to be finished. With that information I can assist by unplugging my own hub and thereby reduce the strain on the system in the mean time.
#6796 by WayneDsr
Mon Apr 13, 2009 4:23 pm
Yes, totally agree on that! One post, not 26 pages of them!

Wayne
#7014 by gamsberry
Tue Apr 14, 2009 4:28 pm
Locking the status post to staff only would also allow us to watch the thread & be notified when updates are posted.

This isn't possible now as every reply generates an update notice.

You could create a separate empty threats & whining section :)
#7049 by Dennis P
Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:32 pm
The status page was supposed to be locked - somehow that configuration got undone and we have 30+ pages of posts from the last outage. We've since fixed that problem so that folks can continue to be subscribed to that topic without the spam.
#7123 by parmenides
Wed Apr 15, 2009 3:28 am
Dennis P wrote:The status page was supposed to be locked - somehow that configuration got undone and we have 30+ pages of posts from the last outage. We've since fixed that problem so that folks can continue to be subscribed to that topic without the spam.

Nice, except we've had another prolonged outage this morning and the status page has not been updated.

Are we to understand that the lack of an update is because you all are asleep on the west coast?

No 24/7 NOC for ooma?
#7188 by jcarcopo
Wed Apr 15, 2009 4:19 am
parmenides wrote:
Dennis P wrote:The status page was supposed to be locked - somehow that configuration got undone and we have 30+ pages of posts from the last outage. We've since fixed that problem so that folks can continue to be subscribed to that topic without the spam.

Nice, except we've had another prolonged outage this morning and the status page has not been updated.

Are we to understand that the lack of an update is because you all are asleep on the west coast?

No 24/7 NOC for ooma?
#7338 by brobb
Wed Apr 15, 2009 5:44 am
Why in the heck is the status page in the forums anyway? There should be a link from the home page on the website to a DEDICATED STATUS PAGE that is RELIGIOUSLY updated when there is an outage. As soon a an outage is detected and the extent known it should be disclosed.
#7521 by Scott R
Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:45 am
Posts by Ooma subscribers reporting on their issues and asking for an ETA is considered spam? That sounds pretty insulting.

In that status thread, I posted the same feedback that the original poster here has. You need to have a better method of informing your users when the system is down, why it's down, and an ETA for when it should be up again. If your ETA passes (or, even better, you know ahead of time that you're not going to hit it), you should post an update. The information in the original post of the status thread (if updated more frequently) would be good, but it needs to be summarized / linked to from the support page.
#7532 by southsound
Wed Apr 15, 2009 11:56 am
Posts by Ooma subscribers reporting on their issues and asking for an ETA is considered spam? That sounds pretty insulting.

Well, if I was subscribed to the status thread and received over 500 notifications that the topic had been updated, I WOULD VERY MUCH CONSIDER IT SPAM.

Let's give ooma a little more credit. Dennis P was certainly not trying to insult anyone. He had a valid point - it makes no sense to subscribe to a thread if everyone is posting and thereby making notification a pain for those receiving it. He didn't remove the messages, he merely moved them to a thread so that the status post could be more valuable.
#7538 by oomg
Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:19 pm
southsound wrote:

Well, if I was subscribed to the status thread and received over 500 notifications that the topic had been updated, I WOULD VERY MUCH CONSIDER IT SPAM.

Let's give ooma a little more credit. Dennis P was certainly not trying to insult anyone. He had a valid point - it makes no sense to subscribe to a thread if everyone is posting and thereby making notification a pain for those receiving it. He didn't remove the messages, he merely moved them to a thread so that the status post could be more valuable.

Well, the use of the word "spam" may have been a little strong. I will take some responsibility for the change in the status notification. After reading numerous posts regarding the outage when I returned on Monday the 13th I sent an email to ooma staff which included the following :

"There seems to be a lot of banter on the forum regarding the cause, etc., most of which is not worth reading. Although it may be too late to implement vis-a-vis [this particular situation], I would suggest a thread which is locked to all forum members except for ooma.com moderators in which we can receive periodic updates on the status of the service (say every 15-30 minutes) during a service interruption. The update may may be as simple as nothing new to report, or possibly an estimated time needed to correct the problem creating the outage."

And maybe my comment that "most of which is not worth reading" was a bit overstated as well since some of those posts made easier for me to determine that there had been a systemwide dusruption of service.

However, IMHO those posts that were dedicated to telling the rest of us how that particular user had made a big mistake and that their system was going back to whomever, or otherwise condemning ooma management and staff were pointless.