Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#6638 by tuckers
Mon Apr 13, 2009 2:36 pm
Oomas service has been out pretty much all day because of an internet outage in Silicon Valley, CA. It really makes me question whether Ooma has the infrastructure in place to call itself a phone service competitive with traditional land lines or even Vonage.

Any online company that expects to serve customers 24/7 with 99.9% availability of services will have an infrastructure that is based in several distinct geological locations. This is especially important when that company is providing lifeline services like phone. So when there is a problem with power, natural disaster (Silicon Valley is prone to earthquakes), or internet outages, another location can take the load and continue to serve customers.

The question is why is Ooma not following what is industry standard protocol and distributing it's infrastructure?

Was this a failure of it's failsafe or load balancing systems?

Is the company so underfunded that it can't provide the service customers expect?

I recently switched from Vonage because I had been having problems with call quality. Oomas quality has been good, but I also expect 99.9% availability of the service I have purchased.
#6757 by Shell
Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:42 pm
I agree with Wayne everyplace has outages from time to time that's life if you read around on the forum you will see this isn't an every day occurrence. You did just purchase this so if you really don't feel they are reliable then get a refund.
#6764 by Beowoof
Mon Apr 13, 2009 3:52 pm
Vonage provides a service called "Network Availability Number" that can be used in the event of an internet outage. I don't know how this works technically, but it would be helpful if ooma could provide a similar capability.

From Vonage's site: http://www.vonage.com/support.php?article=275

Internet Service Provider Outage

When there is a disruption of service in your broadband Internet Service, Vonage also offers the free option of having a Network Availability Number®. Now you don't have to be inconvenienced if your Internet connection fails. Your calls will be automatically forwarded to the phone number of your choice in the event your Internet connection is disrupted or your telephone adapter is disconnected.

How do I use the Network Availability Number Feature?

The Network Availability Number serves as your "safety net." In the event that your Internet connection is disrupted, calls will automatically be forwarded to the number of your choice. If enabled, calls to your Vonage number will automatically ring at your Network Availability Number.