Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#90868 by murphy
Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:47 pm
Originally the VOIP companies (Vonage for instance) thought they could avoid paying the Federal, State, and local telephone fees. The governments have slowly brought them into line and forced them to pay the fees. As all corporations do the fees are passed on to the consumer. In the beginning Ooma was absorbing the fees but have apparently found that they can't afford to continue to do that. Ooma's fees are still reasonable. The fees on my Verizon landline are over $8 per month. In fact the fees are higher than the phone line itself costs.
#90870 by davidm
Sat Dec 17, 2011 3:45 pm
Does anyone have any documentation for what the fees actually are as mandated by the government? I would feel a lot better about this if I had this information. I wouldn't reasonably expect Ooma to absorb those fees forever. I'm a reasonable guy.

OTOH, the amount of grandfathered customers is probably dwindling every day. As I understand it they've been charging these fees to new customers for some time. So it's not as if the costs are skyrocketing to honor the existing deal with grandfathered customers. In fact they should be decreasing.

Like I said, I try to be reasonable. It's just that the increase for me is over 340% and I'm getting barely a month's notice (and it will kick in on Jan one of the worst months financially). I might not be as disturbed if I knew about it six months ago.
#90872 by murphy
Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:01 pm
Here is what Verizon charges me every month.

Federal Exise Tax $0.43
Telecommunications Relay Service $0.08
E911 $1.00
PA Gross Receipts Tax Surcharge $0.35
Federal Subscriber Line Charge $5.82
Federal Universal Service Fee $0.89

Total $8.57

The phone line itself is $8.13.
It's a budget line with no regional dialing and no long distance dialing except for 800 numbers.
It's used only for my alarm system.
#90879 by tivoboy
Sun Dec 18, 2011 8:15 am
So, ooma does not get to KEEP these taxes and fees. Granted they might be able to collect the taxes and fees and pay them on a quarterly basis to the respective state, local muni's and the federal government allowing for a short float but they cannot charge them as TAXES and then keep them. They cannot charge a FEE to COLLECT the taxes to the customer, so the TAX is the THE TAX and it must go entirely to the institution for which it has been collected.

Now, I think that legacy buyers who have the hub and have the box and have the originally T&C's and paid sometimes close to 500$ for the original unit and scout will continue to have a pretty good argument that ooma will have to CONTINUE to eat those customers state and federal taxes and fees (which is what they have been doing till now) if they want to keep the customer going forward. Many of those customers might be on Premier already which is of course a profit center for ooma and ooma will have to decide if keeping the customer and the relatively small margin from them in Premier is worth it.
#131940 by dpierce
Sun Oct 18, 2015 7:24 am
JibeHo wrote:If you believe that Ooma is charging the wrong amount for telecommunication Taxes and Fees (e.g. 911 Service Fee) associated with your account, you can file a complain with the FCC.
https://consumercomplaints.fcc.gov/hc/en-us

Thanks for information, but I don't feel it is necessary to revive a 4-year-old conversation. Simply start a new thread yourself if you feel You've a problem with taxes collected. I believe by now we've all discovered Ooma is quite capable of charging the your proper fees owed to the government. It's stated multiple times that they fought as long as it could, but even though; the taxman his due. There are many many links here on the forum concerning this matter if people would like to search for that topic.
#131944 by Iraisok
Sun Oct 18, 2015 6:39 pm
dpierce wrote:I believe by now we've all discovered Ooma is quite capable of charging the proper fees owed to the government. It's stated multiple times that they fought as long as it could, but even though; the taxman his due. There are many many links here on the forum concerning this matter if people would like to search for that topic.

What NO ONE has ever answered is:

1. How long does/can Ooma hold on to the monthly tax collected from subscribers BEFORE removing it from their INTEREST BEARING SAVINGS ACCOUNT?

2. May be silly but I will ask this one - are ANY funds that are collected monthly NOT tax such that Ooma retains for their own purposes ... forever?

Anyone know the answer to these 2 questions?
#131951 by dpierce
Mon Oct 19, 2015 5:48 am
Might want to start your own topic and not ask your 2 questions here in a 4 year old thread. I personally couldn't care less if Ooma were making a quick buck on taxes collected before payments are made, but in reality, that's against the law and not happening I'm sure. Taxes are paid just as AT&T, Cox, or any other telecom out there is forced to. I think you my be a tiny bit paranoid, but I'm a glass half full kind of guy. You should begin a new topic with those questions in the header for a response.

I have unsubscribe from this topic
#131996 by rpiotro
Thu Oct 22, 2015 5:46 am
Yawn. I'll file this under "first world problems". I have to go play polo now.