Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#86864 by lbmofo
Tue Sep 06, 2011 7:31 pm
For the heck of it, I just checked out my cell phone bills to see how much taxes I am paying per month.

Individual Line:

Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge $0.61
Federal Universal Service Charge $0.86
COUNTY 911 SERVICE FEE $0.70
State 911 Service Fee $0.25
State Telecom Tax $2.04
City Telecom Tax $0.65
City District Telecom Tax $0.28

Total Individual Line Taxes/RRF $5.39 per month

Family Plan:

Main Line

Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge $0.61
Federal Universal Service Charge $1.34
COUNTY 911 SERVICE FEE $0.70
State 911 Service Fee $0.25
State Telecom Tax $3.33
City Telecom Tax $1.06
City District Telecom Tax $0.46

Main Line Taxes/RRF $7.75

4 Additional Lines

Regulatory Cost Recovery Charge $0.61
Federal Universal Service Charge $0.45
COUNTY 911 SERVICE FEE $0.70
State 911 Service Fee $0.25
State Telecom Tax $0.72
City Telecom Tax $0.23
City District Telecom Tax $0.10

Additional Line Taxes/RRF $3.06 x 4 = $12.24

Family Plan Total Taxes/RRF $19.99 per month

BTW, the 2nd line you get with Ooma Premier, there is no additional RRF or tax so Ooma is that much better.
#87118 by oomg
Wed Sep 14, 2011 5:01 am
highq wrote:
WJBertrand wrote:The word "fee" when paid to or imposed by a government entity is just a euphemism for tax IMNSHO.

Are you saying that because you think "tax" is a more derisive or derogatory or denigratory term than "fee", and you just feel like sneering?

While neither may be welcomed with cheers and huzzahs, they're different.


First, maybe tax is just an euphemism for fee. Hey, it costs money to run the system. Having said that, most "fees" are imposed by the agency that incurs the cost, and is (at least in theory) supposed to approximate the cost incurred by the agency for providing the service, e.g. Arizona's new $25 prison visitor fee. (Those rubber gloves used for the strip searches aren't free.) Certain types of fees are set by agencies such as California's Public Utilities Commission. Taxes are most often created by legislative bodies.
#88531 by dpierce
Mon Oct 17, 2011 2:14 am
I just want to point out that some fees are actually taxable, so taxes and fees are NOT the same. Don't really make a bit of different here because I think it's not so much the costs of the fees/taxes (whatever) that Ooma users are angry over. It's more that they feel duped, mislead, or lied to. I personally would have liked to hear about additional charges and fee increases from someone other than my bank statement. Ooma's communication skills are a bit disappointing to me. I mean really, what's so difficult about sending out a newsletter monthly or a mass emailing with changes and happenings with your account(s)? I'm not a Twitter, Facebook, or Forum fanatic and I don't like having to search Google to get the skinny on what's happening at Ooma Corp.

Sorry, I meant to just comment about the possibility of fee taxbility and got carried away.
#88919 by psmsmallengines
Fri Oct 28, 2011 12:50 am
Just got my Second landline carrier bill since I left Ooma in Late august. $58.00 =$696.24 a Year
Ooma Refurbished Telo I just bought=$139.99
Cost to Keep ny name and number out of the phone book every month-$2.97=35.64 a Year
Three-way calling with my landline carrier=.75 a month=$9.00 a Year
Total Taxes and Fees with my landline carrier=13.30 a month=159.60
GRAND TOTAL=$900.48
Premier Ooma $119.95 a year
There is a Savings I'd say :D
#89483 by VicMatson
Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:52 am
I hate to say it, but they all are pulling the must/mo-money scam. I'm with Lingo now and my plan is $7.95 a month and comes to $14.95 with the flees! I can call every month and they reduce it to what are real fees, and that comes to about 11 bucks, but it isn't worth the grief.
#90243 by ZiggyG
Sat Dec 03, 2011 1:50 pm
dpierce wrote:I just want to point out that some fees are actually taxable, so taxes and fees are NOT the same. Don't really make a bit of different here because I think it's not so much the costs of the fees/taxes (whatever) that Ooma users are angry over. It's more that they feel duped, mislead, or lied to. I personally would have liked to hear about additional charges and fee increases from someone other than my bank statement. Ooma's communication skills are a bit disappointing to me. I mean really, what's so difficult about sending out a newsletter monthly or a mass emailing with changes and happenings with your account(s)? I'm not a Twitter, Facebook, or Forum fanatic and I don't like having to search Google to get the skinny on what's happening at Ooma Corp.

Sorry, I meant to just comment about the possibility of fee taxbility and got carried away.

In most cases they feel that way because they didn't read and/or comprehend the fine print......they generally are the first to whine and make the "I'm suing" or "I'm going straight to my lawyer" comments. Ironic part is those people never come back to tell you how that lawyer laughed them out of their office.
Agreed though that a headsup would be appreciated.
#90256 by dpierce
Sat Dec 03, 2011 4:46 pm
ZiggyG wrote: In most cases they feel that way because they didn't read and/or comprehend the fine print......they generally are the first to whine and make the "I'm suing" or "I'm going straight to my lawyer" comments. Ironic part is those people never come back to tell you how that lawyer laughed them out of their office.
Agreed though that a headsup would be appreciated.


Accurate ZiggyG, if not a little condescending in tone. ;) I believe most posters have responded to the "feeling" of having been duped Sal826 was upset over. Many reply identifying with, offering support to, or simply in rebuttal to erroneous claims. Whether the original poster has legitimate legal recourse is obviously questionable, but that’s not what the intent was or he would have stated so in the original posting, right? Be the feel warranted or not, he was upset enough to post about it and the Ooma forum is an appropriate place to do so. Of course praise is also appreciated I hear.

In any case, this thread is ancient and my post offers no resolution to the issue. I do appreciate you concurring in that Ooma needs to keep customers abreast of changes whether they control them or not. Recently, as luck would have it, Ooma seemed to agree with us and in Ooma's November 3rd, 2011 mass email they offered 3-months free to premium users switching from month-to-month to annual billing as well as a choice bonus item from a list of items. It went into detailed explanation of recent tax changes and offered explanations. Ooma did everything right in that particular case and I say well done Ooma! Communication is the only way to keep future consumers from having that "feeling" of having been victim of bait and switch.

By the way, something is only ironic if the opposite from what was expected occurs through the very same means. An ironic event is an incongruous event, one at odds with what might have been expected. :shock:
#90856 by davidm
Sat Dec 17, 2011 4:50 am
This makes me a little angry.

1) The Fee is going from $11.xx to $41.xx a year. A difference of over 340%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) I'm seeing that supposedly the REAL government fees have not gone up this much.
3) I was told exactly one month before my anniversary date when obviously I could have been told earlier to make plans.

In my opinion it appears that Ooma decided to help themselves to another $30 / year in profit at my expense.

Don't get me wrong it's still a good deal but there is the "slippery slope" argument. What is next? Will it be $50 next year? $100?

Also while it may be a good deal still I have to keep in mind that I paid over $200 for this device and was quoted approximately $11.50 per year. If the government didn't actually increase their charges then I feel a little misled and taken advantage of by this. I paid that $200 because I calculated $12 a year.
Last edited by davidm on Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:23 am, edited 1 time in total.
#90858 by VicMatson
Sat Dec 17, 2011 5:13 am
These VOIP fees are like the fees you pay when getting an oil change! Around here a $20.00 oil change can be $28.00 at one place and $22.00 at another.

The difference is what can be charged (built out) and what must be charged.
#90867 by dpierce
Sat Dec 17, 2011 12:17 pm
davidm wrote:This makes me a little angry.

1) The Fee is going from $11.xx to $41.xx a year. A difference of over 340%!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
2) I'm seeing that supposedly the REAL government fees have not gone up this much.
3) I was told exactly one month before my anniversary date when obviously I could have been told earlier to make plans.

In my opinion it appears that Ooma decided to help themselves to another $30 / year in profit at my expense.

Don't get me wrong it's still a good deal but there is the "slippery slope" argument. What is next? Will it be $50 next year? $100?

Also while it may be a good deal still I have to keep in mind that I paid over $200 for this device and was quoted approximately $11.50 per year. If the government didn't actually increase their charges then I feel a little misled and taken advantage of by this. I paid that $200 because I calculated $12 a year.



I see your point there. That IS reason for concern if true, in my opinion. I sure hope Ooma is not actually doing this. I have very little faith in corporations as it is anyway, but this just more than cause resentment in me if indeed found to be true. It was my understanding that fees weren't being charged of VoIP customers in the beginning and now they were forced to charge them. I don't remember the email they sent claiming the government was increasing fees but that they were asking VoIP companies to pay them. Am I wrong there? Have I misunderstood something?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 6 guests