Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#86120 by sal826
Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:08 am
I'm sure OOMA could care less how pissed I am about them almost QUADRUPLING my fees from $11 to $40 /yr

How nice they made it a point IN THEIR ADVERTISING bragging about after a year of service you will have paid off the cost of the unit and would be getting FREE service going forward. Imagine my surprise when I went into my account settings and saw this amazing change.This is blatant bait/switch, and is very very much cause for a lawsuit.

And please don't tell me how "cheap"it still is compared to the competitors. As I recall, the competitors DO NOT CHARGE FOR EQUIPMENT. I'm off to visit my lawyer right after I'm done here.
#86122 by southsound
Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:23 am
Make sure your attorney will take the case on a contingency basis. Most attorneys I know charge a lot more than $40 to take a case - and you can't use them to make phone calls. As to the charges you are complaining about, they are lower than my CenturyLink taxes and surcharges. I keep a basic landline ($13.50 per month) because our DSL goes down when the power is out. They don't bother backing it up with batteries as they do our voice line. Their fees:
- Federal Access Charge = 5.77
- Federal Universal Service Fund = .83
- Taxes, fees & Surcharges = 1.88
Total extra charges for one line = $8.48 per month
#86124 by murphy
Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:47 am
That's very close to the fees for my landline for the alarm system. It has no regional or long distance dialing capability.
The phone line costs $8.13 per month and the fees are $8.52 per month.
Federal Excise tax 0.43
Telecommunications Relay Service 0.08
E911 1.00
PA Gross Receipts tax surcharge 0.35
Federal Subscriber line charge 5.82
Federal Universal Service fee 0.84
#86126 by sal826
Fri Aug 19, 2011 8:51 am
murphy wrote:That's very close to the fees for my landline for the alarm system. It has no regional or long distance dialing capability.
The phone line costs $8.13 per month and the fees are $8.52 per month.
Federal Excise tax 0.43
Telecommunications Relay Service 0.08
E911 1.00
PA Gross Receipts tax surcharge 0.35
Federal Subscriber line charge 5.82
Federal Universal Service fee 0.84

I totally get all that, but my gripe is the PRINCIPLE of the thing - they pulled this fee out of their arse.
#86128 by WJBertrand
Fri Aug 19, 2011 9:17 am
I don't think Ooma has any control over those local fees and taxes. In the materials I read before signing up they were very clear about that. Our local fees/taxes are about $3.42/mo. or ~$41/year, same as you. As these charges aren't paid to Ooma what would suing them accomplish? Whatever service you previously had was also charging you these fees if not more.
#86137 by DTR
Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:05 pm
And it's not Taxes (at least in NC it isn't) because they aren't selling you anything, so no sales taxes..... just fees, Network Access fees and 911 fee and etc.

Taxes thing may be different in other states?????? But in NC it's not considered a sales tax becasue it's a free service.
#86138 by lbmofo
Fri Aug 19, 2011 12:10 pm
Fees or taxes...all the same to me. They are all due to government entities.

RRF is probably the most appropriate term (Regulatory Recovery Fee).
#86154 by highq
Fri Aug 19, 2011 3:01 pm
WJBertrand wrote:The word "fee" when paid to or imposed by a government entity is just a euphemism for tax IMNSHO.

Are you saying that because you think "tax" is a more derisive or derogatory or denigratory term than "fee", and you just feel like sneering?

While neither may be welcomed with cheers and huzzahs, they're different.