Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#85890 by njneer
Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:29 pm
Since it seems everything is housed in the same data center, it was very difficult to see the system status this morning. I suggest moving the status page/site to a different server/data center so we can always check if the service is down, especially for a huge outage like today.

Response time I think also needs to be improved, possibly linking change in status from site to the twitter account.
#85894 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:46 pm
Another thought: (if not already in place) possibly deposit a front door outage message on the support line (much like the cable company :) I swear, everytime I call, there is bound to be some outage somewhere) to manage call volume.
#85896 by Bobby B
Wed Aug 17, 2011 12:53 pm
www.ooma.com (which hosts the forums), is actually already located in a different data center. However, it also went down some time after the outage. My best guess on why it went down was because of a web traffic surge caused by folks trying to get info about their service and blogs that posted stories about the outage. We're investigating this further.

njneer wrote:Since it seems everything is housed in the same data center, it was very difficult to see the system status this morning. I suggest moving the status page/site to a different server/data center so we can always check if the service is down, especially for a huge outage like today.

Response time I think also needs to be improved, possibly linking change in status from site to the twitter account.
#86072 by thecgmguy
Thu Aug 18, 2011 4:13 pm
lbmofo wrote:Another thought: (if not already in place) possibly deposit a front door outage message on the support line (much like the cable company :) I swear, everytime I call, there is bound to be some outage somewhere) to manage call volume.

I like this idea.
#86085 by thunderbird
Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:29 pm
So what happened yesterday with the Ooma Phone Service outage was that Ooma's Internet provider's service broke down, cutting off Internet access for the Ooma Phone Service. :o

But there was still Internet service for Ooma's internet sites, like the Ooma Forum. :)

But then the Ooma customers all went on line, at the same time, trying to find out what has happened, and brought all of Ooma's Internet sites down. :cry:

It was almost like concerned Ooma customers ganged up and committed Cyberwarfare on Ooma's Internet sites. :cool:

Interesting sequence of events. ;) :( :shock:
#86088 by murphy
Thu Aug 18, 2011 5:55 pm
thunderbird wrote:So what happened yesterday with the Ooma Phone Service outage was that Ooma's Internet provider's service broke down, cutting off Internet access for the Ooma Phone Service. :o

But there was still Internet service for Ooma's internet sites, like the Ooma Forum. :)

But then the Ooma customers all went on line, at the same time, trying to find out what has happened, and brought all of Ooma's Internet sites down. :cry:

It was almost like concerned Ooma customers ganged up and committed Cyberwarfare on Ooma's Internet sites. :cool:

Interesting sequence of events. ;) :( :shock:

Off Topic Comments:

This is why I don't trust cloud computing.
I have a product attached to my electric meter that counts the revolutions of the disk and transmits the results via WiFi.
There were two choices to receive the data, Google and Microsoft. I liked Microsoft's application that displayed my data better than Google's so I selected Microsoft. (http://www.microsoft-hohm.com). I started sending data in November of 2010. About a month ago Google annoounced that they were shutting down their application. They provided a way to download your data. About a week later Microsoft announced that it was also shutting down May 31, 2012. They provided no way to download my data. So all of my data, that was sent to the Microsoft cloud, is lost. In 1969 we had mainframe computers and dumb terminals to access them. In 2011 we are inventing cloud computing (mainframe computers) and will be using personal computers with a browser (dumb terminal) to access the cloud. We've come full circle except now the terminals have full color screens instead of green screens.
#86089 by murphy
Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:00 pm
lbmofo wrote:Yesterday was a record day beating the old 2009 peak: Most users ever online was 640 on Wed Aug 17, 2011 6:12 am

That is how many were able to actually get a connection. What is not known is how many sat there looking at a blank screen because the website is not designed to handle 100,000 simultaneous users.
#86090 by DTR
Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:07 pm
murphy wrote:In 1969 we had mainframe computers and dumb terminals to access them. In 2011 we are inventing cloud computing (mainframe computers) and will be using personal computers with a browser (dumb terminal) to access the cloud. We've come full circle except now the terminals have full color screens instead of green screens.

I like this, well said.
#86095 by lbmofo
Thu Aug 18, 2011 6:51 pm
If this forum is in a cloud, in normal operation, it would have taken on all users thrown at it (elasticity).

You have a point about going back to teminal/mainframe mode. However, terminal is now a thin client; a lot thicker than just a dumb terminal :) and instead of a single mainframe, you have a network of computing platforms collectively responding to different flavor of requests.