Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#85826 by geomunir
Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:37 am
I have been trying to make calls since early morning, and it seems that the service is down. Can anyone else having this issue?
#85830 by oomg
Wed Aug 17, 2011 9:48 am
It was pretty much a nationwide thing. All my systems are up again, and obviously, the website is also up at this time.
#85852 by oomaLiv1
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:32 am
Yes. I'm seeing a serice down as well. And wife says Ooma must go. Are there any stats on uptime and availability to counter FUD? :(
#85855 by lbmofo
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:34 am
Last time a similar event happended, it was in 2009. This rarely happens.

No matter what kind of home phone service you have, it is a good idea to have a back up (cell phone).

oomg wrote:
murphy wrote:
echelonphoto wrote:Same here in New Jersey....is this the first time this happened? Mine is a business line....can't afford to have this happen

It happened once before in April 2009.
I respectfully submit that a business should have a minimum of two independent phone lines.

Yes, April 13, 2009 as I recall. Both Murphy and I (as well as a few others) have commented repeatedly that while very reliable, Ooma is not perfect, and as such, it is important to have a backup plan. That backup can be a landline, cell phone, or even an alternate VOIP service (even MagicJack). Once again, my backup was in place, and thus, suffered only minimal disruption. My bigger concern is losing my internet connection.
#85859 by southsound
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:40 am
oomaLiv1 wrote:Yes. I'm seeing a serice down as well. And wife says Ooma must go. Are there any stats on uptime and availability to counter FUD? :(

I've had ooma since February of 2009 - first the older hub as part of their "core" offering and then the Telo. I also have a landline through CentryLink (Qwest) as my internet is dependent on power being available to CenturyLink's DSL cabinets - and they don't bother to use battery backup on them - just on their voice cabinets. I have had much more downtime with my landline than with ooma. This includes the April 2009 outage. Sometimes in this very connected world we just have to do a little deep breathing and figure out what is the best of several less-than-perfect alternatives. For me, ooma is a winner. Would I use it alone considering my less than perfect DSL? Probably not. But it sure beats paying the going CenturyLink rate for caller ID, call waiting, two lines, free domestic long distance, etc. Your mileage may vary.
#85863 by fernand
Wed Aug 17, 2011 10:55 am
I confess, it was me. My first day on Ooma, and the service was out for hours. Sigh.
#85865 by shagphil
Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:04 am
Have four phones on three Ooma accounts. This is first service interuption I have experienced. Service has been great and down time has been less than with my former landline and with my cell phone. Just would like to Ooma to inform us what happened.
#85871 by vicw
Wed Aug 17, 2011 11:24 am
I'm sure you will hear this message endlessly, but I have to add my 2 cents.

I understand that there will be service interruptions, hopefully infrequently, and that you will restore service ASAP, but I'm very disappointed that Ooma failed in this long outage, to provide any notification on your Ooma_Status twitter account for at least 2-3 hours after the beginning of the complete system breakdown. That is totally unacceptable to me. It left 10's or 100's of thousands of your customers to flounder around for those hours, trying to establish is there was a local problem.

Secondarily, this outage causes me to wonder what kind of disaster planning Ooma has, or hasn't taken, to provide alternate paths of communication when this kind of outage occurs. Surely it would be possible to relocate, or redirect your ooma.com website to use an alternate path to the internet, so that everything doesn't thread through a single path to the world. I hope your staff will learn from this event, how to prevent or at least minimize future outages, and how to effectively keep your customers informed when they do occur.
Last edited by vicw on Wed Aug 17, 2011 4:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.