Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#84449 by regina.carmel
Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:53 pm
After 19 months happy service, I think my hub and scout have just failed.
Have spend so many hours w/tech support, Apple, Charter Internet, and Ooma
on this. The short:

Four red lights on Scout after normal service on Saturday. No storms, etc.
Blue light on hub but no dial tone anywhere; finally turned steady red and
has been that way for two days.

What I've done:

Disconnected and reconnected all connections. (Apple router, computer,
Omni-cell wireless antenna booster, modem, hub)
Did hard reset - several times.
Changed out ethernet cables.
Unplugged and replugged wall phone connection.

Great Internet connection; router, printer, omni-cell - all working perfectly; just not the Ooma hub or scout. :cry:

What more can I do? Have I a fried Ooma? No dial tone anywhere.

Thanks. Couldn't find this on Board with quite as many tried fixes.
#84452 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 18, 2011 1:31 pm
regina.carmel:
Did you do what Murphy always suggests, is your credit card information up to date in My Ooma? You get automatically shut down if your credit card isn't up to date.

Do you get a solid light and a blinking light at the Hub's Modem port?
#84477 by regina.carmel
Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:43 pm
Credit card up to date; balance still left on for international calls. Re: port lights, home and modem ports have one solid green light and blinking yellow lights - each. Tab is steady red. On scout, all four lights on bottom are solid red.
#84480 by thunderbird
Mon Jul 18, 2011 10:37 pm
regina.carmel wrote:Credit card up to date; balance still left on for international calls. Re: port lights, home and modem ports have one solid green light and blinking yellow lights - each. Tab is steady red. On scout, all four lights on bottom are solid red.

How is your setup conneted Modem-Ooma-Router or Modem-Router-Ooma?

In the Ooma Setup Status pages, does it show the Ooma Tunnel connected?
#84506 by regina.carmel
Tue Jul 19, 2011 11:59 am
Connections: modem - Ooma modem port
Ooma home - router (Apple Airport Extreme Base Station)

Since last posting, have tried connecting scout and hub wall ports together. No difference.
Changed phones - no difference.
As of now: Hub has constant red tab; no dial tone on any phone
Scout: constant red tab and four lower lights, also red.

Considering getting new hub from Staples. If it works, we know my hub went bad. However, does the Telo also use a scout? Can I transfer all my current info, including number and free basic service, to a new Telo? I also have two cordless bases w/handsets. Everything worked flawlessly before Saturday. Very reluctant to buy new machinery. Everything fails but it's the rate of failure that matters. My Ooma is 19 months old.
#84513 by murphy
Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:14 pm
regina.carmel wrote:Connections: modem - Ooma modem port
Ooma home - router (Apple Airport Extreme Base Station)

Since last posting, have tried connecting scout and hub wall ports together. No difference.

Considering getting new hub from Staples. If it works, we know my hub went bad. However, does the Telo also use a scout? Can I transfer all my current info, including number and free basic service, to a new Telo? I also have two cordless bases w/handsets. Everything worked flawlessly before Saturday. Very reluctant to buy new machinery. Everything fails but it's the rate of failure that matters. My Ooma is 19 months old.

The scout does not work with a Telo. You only get one hard wired phone line with a Telo.
The second line capability requires at least one (maximum of 4) Telo wireless handset.
The only way to get two physical lines with a Telo is to have two Telos.

Ooma hubs are still available online.
#84515 by thunderbird
Tue Jul 19, 2011 2:33 pm
Ooma home - router - router (Apple Airport Extreme Base Station)

One last ditch thing to try:
For this problem, changing the connection to Modem-Router-Ooma, has sometimes worked for the Ooma Telo.

Remove power from the Modem, Router, and Ooma Hub.

Reconfigure your connections.

Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router (Apple Airport Extreme Base Station). When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Hub. If the Ooma Hub finishes booting correctly, that's it, check and see if you have the Ooma dial tone.

If not, temporarily connect a computer to the Ooma Hub Home port. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on. Reboot the computer.

Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. Change connection type to Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update Device. Ooma says this forces a connection.

Remove power from the Modem, Router, and Ooma Hub. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router (Apple Airport Extreme Base Station). When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Hub.
Good Luck!
#84603 by arkumar15
Thu Jul 21, 2011 4:38 pm
thunderbird wrote:
Ooma home - router - router (Apple Airport Extreme Base Station)

One last ditch thing to try:
For this problem, changing the connection to Modem-Router-Ooma, has sometimes worked for the Ooma Telo.

Remove power from the Modem, Router, and Ooma Hub.

Reconfigure your connections.

Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router (Apple Airport Extreme Base Station). When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Hub. If the Ooma Hub finishes booting correctly, that's it, check and see if you have the Ooma dial tone.

If not, temporarily connect a computer to the Ooma Hub Home port. Temporarily turn off Wi-Fi in the computer, if Wi-Fi is turned on. Reboot the computer.

Type http://172.27.35.1 in the computer browser window. The Ooma Setup pages should open. Change connection type to Dynamic (DHCP). Click on Update Device. Ooma says this forces a connection.

Remove power from the Modem, Router, and Ooma Hub. Repower the Modem. When the Modem is done booting, repower the Router (Apple Airport Extreme Base Station). When the Router is done booting, repower the Ooma Hub.
Good Luck!

Hi Regina,

The simple thing I would do before as Thunderbird suggested is first make sure your internet connection is working. Then power off your modem and your ooma too. After couple of minutes, turn on the modem and then turn on the hub. Just connect the ooma hub directly to the modem and nothing else in between. If you still see the red tabs, i think there is something wrong with the ooma hub. I tried this way long time back and it worked for me. Wish you all the best.
#84640 by regina.carmel
Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:15 am
I'm back and the issue goes on.

Let me reply point by point:

Thunderbird: The first part of your help has been done numerous times to no avail but I gave it one last try just now. Same result: red tab.
Akumar: the modem is connected directly to the Ooma but are you advising to disconnect connections between Ooma and router? That would mean no home, phone, etc. connections, just the Ooma to Modem cable and power on. Yes?

The Scout was disconnected days ago.

Have yet to try Thunderbird's changing DHCP. Stay tuned. Many thanks again. --Regina
#84641 by regina.carmel
Fri Jul 22, 2011 11:21 am
The simple thing I would do before as Thunderbird suggested is first make sure your internet connection is working. Then power off your modem and your ooma too. After couple of minutes, turn on the modem and then turn on the hub. Just connect the ooma hub directly to the modem and nothing else in between. If you still see the red tabs, i think there is something wrong with the ooma hub. I tried this way long time back and it worked for me. Wish you all the best.

Nope. Didn't work.