Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#6166 by Pandora
Thu Apr 09, 2009 12:22 pm
Does Ooma publish sales numbers? I keep seeing them for sale at Amazon, and I'm wondering if anyone has an estimate for sales.

I'm curious to know if Ooma is taking off.

Thanks!
#6199 by tommies
Thu Apr 09, 2009 7:56 pm
Pandora wrote:Does Ooma publish sales numbers? I keep seeing them for sale at Amazon, and I'm wondering if anyone has an estimate for sales.

I'm curious to know if Ooma is taking off.

Thanks!

I don't know, but I see my local Fry's ad: ooma system for 199.99
#6203 by dlong
Thu Apr 09, 2009 10:04 pm
Around 80,000 to 120,000 ooma units purchased this year for a 15-20 million dollar total? Those are some hefty numbers. And so, now we know the reason that ooma customer service was sparse in February. Wow, I'd say my purchase was a miniscule drop in the bucket to the ooma customer base. Please ooma, do remember to keep this service FREE with a Premiere upgrade just as it is now, okay?
#6237 by lohertz
Fri Apr 10, 2009 9:49 am
Remember the revenue model...the hub turns a small profit and does not support the overall business. The hub just pays for itself.

Ooma makes money by connecting your device to a cell phone or traditional landline. By providing you this, the telco's pay ooma for the connection, the telco in turn bills a cell customer or landline customer.

This model is the result of the 80's ATT Bell breakup anti-trust case.
#6243 by thively
Fri Apr 10, 2009 11:05 am
If "Ooma is on track to have $15 million to $20 million of revenue in 2009"
Then 20 million / $250 is 80,000 units of hardware by the end of 2009. Considering it's as low as $200, that could be as high as 100,000.

How take in to account 1/4 of all subscribers pay $100 for premium, add that to the revenue customer. No include international calling revenue.
Both of which now means less of the revenue is from hardware so the number of hardware sales is lower.

Now the number of hardware units is lower. Maybe a good guess is 70-75K in 2009? Does that mean about 30K since January?

Am I way off on my guesstimates here?

All in all, that's a pretty successful product launch. I think as word of mouth catches on this will explode. Once you get past the "this is too good to be true" reaction which EVERYONE has at first, it's an amazing value.
#6248 by Pandora
Fri Apr 10, 2009 12:13 pm
lohertz wrote:Remember the revenue model...the hub turns a small profit and does not support the overall business. The hub just pays for itself.

Ooma makes money by connecting your device to a cell phone or traditional landline. By providing you this, the telco's pay ooma for the connection, the telco in turn bills a cell customer or landline customer.

This model is the result of the 80's ATT Bell breakup anti-trust case.
That is not the implemented business model as I understand it. Ooma is a VOIP product which can associate with a POTS phone.

I've read an average Ooma customer uses 300-350 minutes per month (outgoing?). I've also read Ooma plans a customer to cost about $22 per year. I don't know how Ooma can provide E911 and a DID for $22 a year.

Ooma claims to pay about $.005 per minute per call. For 350 minutes per month that is about $1.75. That works out to about $21 per year. Which would mean Ooma pays $1 per year for a DID and E911? I tend to doubt that.

Somewhere the Ooma numbers make sense, but not in the various press reports we've read. I just hope Ooma has a legitimate long term business model.
#6249 by oomg
Fri Apr 10, 2009 1:21 pm
thively wrote:If "Ooma is on track to have $15 million to $20 million of revenue in 2009"
Then 20 million / $250 is 80,000 units of hardware by the end of 2009. Considering it's as low as $200, that could be as high as 100,000.

How take in to account 1/4 of all subscribers pay $100 for premium, add that to the revenue customer. No include international calling revenue.
Both of which now means less of the revenue is from hardware so the number of hardware sales is lower.

Now the number of hardware units is lower. Maybe a good guess is 70-75K in 2009? Does that mean about 30K since January?


Don't forget that ooma is probably selling very few units at retail. I am going to speculate that they are selling for $150 at wholesale. Assuming they sold 100,000 units, that would equal approximately $15 million in revenue. If 1/4 of the purchasers were to pay 100 for a year's Premier service, that would add another 2.5 million dollars in revenue. Those are just round numbers, but fall within the range of $15-20 million. Of course, it is based on the assumption that there is $150 revenue on each sales unit (Hub and Scout).

oomg
#6259 by thively
Fri Apr 10, 2009 3:47 pm
I would assume a majority have been sold through Amazon.
Costco and Best Buy sales probably a lot more since they entered those channels.

Either way I guess we're talking in the ball park of 100,000+/- in 2009 apparently, and we're 4 months in to 2009.

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 11 guests