Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#93176 by lbmofo
Mon Feb 20, 2012 7:29 pm
joe123 wrote:Let's all stay in reality that Ooma is pretty much ignoring this request.

I personally believe that it's because of the fear of lawsuits from the commercial sector.

It is NOT a technical issue as it is easy to block numbers as Ooma is already doing in very VERY limited context.

Not sure "ignore" is the right word here but no mods have mentioned this being on the roadmap (that I know of).
Here is a list of what's mentioned: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=13154&start=10#p91652
I believe if this is far down the list, if on the list at all, it probably is due to feasibility vs what you mentioned. Just thinking about it on the surface....current implementation is storing numbers in blacklists and bumping that up against calls coming in. Now, we are talking about storing strings (hundreds of these for number as well as the name field per user) to compare with attributes of incoming calls...pretty significant difference if you ask me not to mention the performance implications.
#94061 by heyeric88
Fri Mar 16, 2012 12:45 pm
I am very disappointed that they won't enable wildcards, and I think that Ooma can/should issue some formal statement around either a) enabling the feature or b) giving some solid rationale as to why.

If this were some superfluous request made by one or two people, then I can see ignoring it, but none of these is true. This is something that MANY people (present company included) have asked for, it would be beneficial to the Ooma community, and I don't see any technical reasons that it can't be accomplished. By all means, if there is a technical reason, then tell us what it is, or at least that there IS a technical reason as to why they can't enable the feature. Otherwise, it is just a "won't," and that is a garbage answer (or non-answer).

Two points in closing: First, the jackwad phone spammers will likely find some way to bother us even with wildcard blacklisting. They are cockroaches, and they adapt. If you don't believe so, then explain why the Do-Not-Call Registry has had no effect on putting them out of business. Second, even without the wildcard, the blacklist feature is still 100X better than what I got with my previous landline provider, and as much as I want the wildcard, I can't see myself canceling Ooma just because they don't enable it.
#94352 by joe123
Sun Mar 25, 2012 12:47 am
heyeric88 wrote:I am very disappointed that they won't enable wildcards, and I think that Ooma can/should issue some formal statement around either a) enabling the feature or b) giving some solid rationale as to why.

This is very easy for Ooma to setup and we have all been asking Ooma to please tell us why they don't do it.

Notice how Ooma wont touch this subject and there is a reason. Lawsuits!

Some big phone companys have done all they can with the support and approval of our paid representatives to NOT enable any type of technology that will stop telemarketers.

The Government blacklist is a joke. All and any companys who has developed any kind of phone wildcard blocking systems have been bought out to never show up again. I can list several but you can google it.

But I will keep asking Ooma to tell US paying customers WHY they don't do this. Ooma ignoring us paying customers is telling.