Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#86264 by Maestro64
Mon Aug 22, 2011 7:16 am
Here is the reason we are all getting so many calls from numbers which are not blocked either by ooma or your personal blacklist.

http://www.800link.com/

This companies enable the scammers and such to set up random 800 numbers or any extension they like and use software to auto call you. Lately a few companies trying to call me forgot to change the call ID to the standard 800 Service they have been using and left the 800link in the caller ID so it make it a bit easy to track them down. A number of people on the web called the 800link and they have been getting complaints but said they can not do anything about it they suggested calling your local phone companies and opening complaints and have them investigate the companies making these calls. This company knows exactly what is happening and who is doing it and they can care less.

Some other people got to talk to humans behind these scam companies and asked them to take them off their call list and all they do is hang up or tell you they will not and say they will just keep calling, which they obviously do.

Having a 256 block numbers is not going to help since they will just use some random number which is no on our list. Not sure how you block these folks unless ooma takes our private lists and adds these numbers to their lists
#86265 by WJBertrand
Mon Aug 22, 2011 8:03 am
I use the "this number disconnected" message as opposed to the "number blocked message". My theory is that If you tell the caller his number is blocked they may be more encouraged to just try a different number to call from. If you tell them it's disconnected, maybe they will take your number off their list. Do blacklisted numbers appear on your call log?
#86309 by fojaei
Tue Aug 23, 2011 7:29 am
Was just about to pull the trigger on buying premium service today after being harassed for months by telemarketers, but stopped because I realized there is no wildcard or toll-free call blocking option. Implement this feature and I will sign up.
#86314 by highq
Tue Aug 23, 2011 8:53 am
fojaei wrote:Was just about to pull the trigger on buying premium service today after being harassed for months by telemarketers, but stopped because I realized there is no wildcard or toll-free call blocking option. Implement this feature and I will sign up.

Are you saying that Ooma reps are badgering you to order premeire service? First I recall hearing that they do that.

As to blocking toll-free numbers, what do you really mean? Blocking them as a group? First of all, I don't know if there's any way to detect that an incoming call is toll-free to the initiator, and second of all, why would you want to do that, thereby blocking any Ooma and other VOIP calls?
#86379 by EricJRW
Thu Aug 25, 2011 6:32 am
I never got any harassing calls... So that's pretty odd. You should just add ooma's number to your blacklist. :D

But agree, wild cards, for both name or number, would be a huge plus.
#86540 by bobbo
Tue Aug 30, 2011 3:27 pm
You know it would be nice if from the Dashboard one could check their Missed and Recent calls and, if desired, click them to add to the personal Blacklist without having to go to Preferences and access Blacklist then manually add the number(s). Jus' sayin'!
#86567 by WJBertrand
Wed Aug 31, 2011 8:57 am
bobbo wrote:You know it would be nice if from the Dashboard one could check their Missed and Recent calls and, if desired, click them to add to the personal Blacklist without having to go to Preferences and access Blacklist then manually add the number(s). Jus' sayin'!

Huh? You can do it exactly that way from the call log. Just click on the circle/slash icon at the right, next to the gear icon, and you can immediately add the number to your blacklist. In fact I've never done it the manual way.
#86809 by oshunluvr
Mon Sep 05, 2011 1:38 pm
Along with most of the other suggestions in this thread, I'd like to see Multiple Personal Blacklists.

I'd like to be able to send some people to voicemail, while others are totally blocked. For example, my chatty cousin can get four rings and voicemail, but the telemarketers get the disconnected message. I can think of other uses too. There's four options in the Blacklist, why not four Blacklists?

A good alternate might be selective "We're not home" service to particular numbers.
#86904 by M.E.
Wed Sep 07, 2011 4:59 pm
I too, would like wildcard blocking.

BTW, does Ooma even bother reading and implementing the suggestions on here or is this forum for venting and pipe dreams?
#87165 by Garyk4279
Thu Sep 15, 2011 7:38 am
We absolutely need multiple options for the blacklist: (1) Number disconnected, (2) Send to Voicemail (3) busy signal or continuous ring. I would also like to have another list of numbers (apart from the blacklist) which would forward to a cell phone number after four rings.