Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#84649 by Maestro64
Fri Jul 22, 2011 12:29 pm
I have to agree, the telemarketers are spoofing phone numbers, since they too are using internet services like ooma for their phone services they can send out any phone number they like as the caller ID, I had a few instance where they spoof an actually real companies phone number, it did not show the company name, just some generic name, but when you do a reverse look up on the number it show as belonging to a real company which I do not do business nor do they have any reason to call me. The other thing they are using numbers which are not even active, if you call the number you will get the message saying the number is not in service.

This is not a loop hole in the do not call list, the problem there is no way to identify who they are since they use random numbers so they know they can do this without getting reported. The question is since they are most likely using some sort of internet based service can Ooma backtrack them to their IP or something.

However, the black list is becoming useless at this point, I am still getting a large number of calls form people who I do not want them to call me.
#84656 by lbmofo
Fri Jul 22, 2011 2:56 pm
Edit: Ooma implemented Wildcard Blacklist on 4/1/13: viewtopic.php?t=15436#p108297

Maestro64 wrote:However, the black list is becoming useless at this point, I am still getting a large number of calls form people who I do not want them to call me.

I think the blacklist feature is extremely helpful. Yeah, it may need some enhancements but it is better than anything else out there. Once a spammer is added to the blacklist, I don't ever have to hear from them again unless they use a different number. If they use a different number, I just blacklist them again. No big deal; easy and convenient.
Last edited by lbmofo on Wed Apr 17, 2013 10:21 am, edited 1 time in total.
#84921 by isilveus
Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:22 pm
I find that even though I set the preferences to give a disconnected message to blacklisted numbers again and again, most of the time I check it, it has reverted itself within two hours and now sends the con artists to my voicemail. I check it because I notice that I'm getting calls from numbers on the blacklist. Ooma, is this the best you can do?
#84922 by lbmofo
Fri Jul 29, 2011 3:33 pm
My "disconnected" message Blacklist setting is sticking. Perhaps you can email Norman Toy to ask for help; he may find something with your setting.

memberlist.php?mode=email&u=107

For me, the Blacklist has worked very well. Within this year, a blacklisted number rang through only once. I suppose it was a fluke.
#85148 by scots
Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:39 am
One way I'd like to see the Blacklist evolve is to have the ability to assign what happens to the call on a per number basis rather than applying the same setting to the entire Blacklist as a whole. I was with several different VoIP providers in the past before Ooma, and that was how the Blacklist (or some called it Call Block) feature worked on all of them. As a matter of fact, I don't recall any of them offering a "blanket treatment" of all numbers on the list. It had to be done on a per number basis. When you add a number to the Blacklist, you choose at that time what you want to happen to calls from that number (and you can go in and change it later if you want). That way some can get an endless ring, some can go directly to voicemail, some can get a disconnect message, etc.

I'd really prefer not to have every number on my Blacklist get the exact same treatment, and if other VoIP companies do it this way I don't see any reason Ooma can't do it also. Telemarketers? Set them up for a disconnect message. A company you deal with that makes annoying calls, but they may make an occasional important call? Set them up for directly to voicemail. An annoying "friend", but you don't really want them to get a disconnect or get voicemail? Put them on endless ring. It's really nice to have this flexibility with the Blacklist, and is one thing I miss from previous VoIP providers I've been with.
#85151 by jhphone
Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:28 am
I have manually added a lot of telemarketer numbers, etc, to my blacklist. These are in addition to Ooma's list -- and it works well.

But some of my manual entries have not called me in many months and I want to remove them.

Q1: Is there a limit to the number of entries?

Q2: How can I remove entries?

Thanx
#85154 by murphy
Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:57 am
jhphone wrote:I have manually added a lot of telemarketer numbers, etc, to my blacklist. These are in addition to Ooma's list -- and it works well.

But some of my manual entries have not called me in many months and I want to remove them.

Q1: Is there a limit to the number of entries?

Q2: How can I remove entries?

Thanx

My memory (which could be wrong) says the max is 256.

Click on the phone number and then click on delete.