Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#80808 by thunderbird
Fri May 06, 2011 6:44 am
Ooma Devices have historically had problems maintaining a solid or locked IP connection, with the Ooma device's Automatic MAC Address setting.

Some of the results of this defect are disconnects, dropped calls, garbled voice conversations, sometimes delay, echo and one way conversations, etc.

Over and over and over again, it's been found that by just changing the MAC Address setting in Ooma Setup, from Automatic (Spoofing) to Use Built In MAC Address, many Quality of Service listed issues are resolved.

It seems that Ooma Engineering would notice this fact and at least change their manufacturing/remanufacturing specifications, to change the MAC address manufacturing setting in the Ooma device from Automatic, to Use built In MAC Address.

The customer would plug their Ooma device into the Internet and never have to experience the usual Quality of Service problems that occur now.

The very few that want to setup MAC address Spoofing, could still could go in to Ooma Setup and make those changes for themselves on an individual bases, (which they have to do now anyway).

By using an Ooma device configured to use Use Built In MAC Address right out of the box, the Ooma customer will have a much better Ooma experience.
Last edited by thunderbird on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.
#80823 by tomcat
Fri May 06, 2011 1:13 pm
nn5i wrote:I concur too. One wonders what dolt originally decided not to make "built in" the default.

There are some ISPs that tie the service to the MAC address of the customer's equipment. I'm sure that Ooma was hoping that the telo would properly spoof the customer equipment address and eliminate a call to the ISP and the need for additional troubleshooting. Great idea in theory, but doesn't sound like it was executed very well.
#80826 by nn5i
Fri May 06, 2011 1:34 pm
tomcat wrote:
nn5i wrote:I concur too. One wonders what dolt originally decided not to make "built in" the default.

There are some ISPs that tie the service to the MAC address of the customer's equipment. I'm sure that Ooma was hoping that the telo would properly spoof the customer equipment address and eliminate a call to the ISP and the need for additional troubleshooting. Great idea in theory, but doesn't sound like it was executed very well.

Good point. But don't those ISPs tie it to the MAC address of the modem, rather than to the MAC address of whatever is behind, such as a Telo or a router? I'm pretty sure Comcast does it the way I describe, but I have no knowledge, for example, of how it's done with DSL.
#80829 by murphy
Sun May 08, 2011 4:49 am
My memory, which may be faulty due to my age, tells me that Ooma has a patent on the way they handle the MAC address. It appears that whoever developed the patent didn't know that once a cable modem learns a MAC address it ignores all subsequent MAC addresses in a residential setting where ISP's don't permit more than one IP address to a customer.
Back in the beginning ISPs did register the MAC address of the ONE computer at the house. That went away over time and they now lock the account to the MAC address of the cable modem.
#80897 by EricJRW
Sun May 08, 2011 8:05 am
murphy wrote:My memory, which may be faulty due to my age, tells me that Ooma has a patent on the way they handle the MAC address. It appears that whoever developed the patent didn't know that once a cable modem learns a MAC address it ignores all subsequent MAC addresses in a residential setting where ISP's don't permit more than one IP address to a customer.
Back in the beginning ISPs did register the MAC address of the ONE computer at the house. That went away over time and they now lock the account to the MAC address of the cable modem.

My mother's cable modem still does that. If we change the device plugged into the modem, we need to reboot the modem. This was a pain when we would visit, as multiple users want to use their computer on the Internet. I finally did break down and installed WAP, but until that point, it was a pain... So I suspect MAC still may be an issue for cable users.
#80899 by tomcat
Sun May 08, 2011 9:53 am
EricJRW wrote:
murphy wrote:My memory, which may be faulty due to my age, tells me that Ooma has a patent on the way they handle the MAC address. It appears that whoever developed the patent didn't know that once a cable modem learns a MAC address it ignores all subsequent MAC addresses in a residential setting where ISP's don't permit more than one IP address to a customer.

My mother's cable modem still does that. If we change the device plugged into the modem, we need to reboot the modem. This was a pain when we would visit, as multiple users want to use their computer on the Internet. I finally did break down and installed WAP, but until that point, it was a pain... So I suspect MAC still may be an issue for cable users.

What you are seeing is normal. Most modems will only learn one MAC address and if you change devices you have to reboot the modem. However, the modem is still tied to the account.

What we were referring to is where you actually have to call the ISP and let them know the MAC address of your (new/changed) device before you could access the internet. In more recent years i have seen this automated where you receive a screen stating that the device is not authorized for the account and asking if you would like to authorize it. If you did then it would de-authorize the previous device.
#80912 by nn5i
Sun May 08, 2011 2:07 pm
tomcat wrote:What we were referring to is where you actually have to call the ISP and let them know the MAC address of your (new/changed) device before you could access the internet. In more recent years i have seen this automated where you receive a screen stating that the device is not authorized for the account and asking if you would like to authorize it. If you did then it would de-authorize the previous device.

Oh, cool. I've been considering replacing my old Linksys cable modem with one that'll do Docsis 3. Comments welcome on whether this is worth doing. My old modem does only 1.1. I had hesitated, thinking that I'd have to call Comcast and tell'em a new MAC for a new modem. With Ooma, if my Internet isn't working 'cuz I replaced the modem, how could I call Comcast to tell'em a new MAC? Catch-22!
#80915 by tomcat
Sun May 08, 2011 3:42 pm
nn5i wrote:
tomcat wrote:What we were referring to is where you actually have to call the ISP and let them know the MAC address of your (new/changed) device before you could access the internet. In more recent years i have seen this automated where you receive a screen stating that the device is not authorized for the account and asking if you would like to authorize it. If you did then it would de-authorize the previous device.

Oh, cool. I've been considering replacing my old Linksys cable modem with one that'll do Docsis 3. Comments welcome on whether this is worth doing. My old modem does only 1.1. I had hesitated, thinking that I'd have to call Comcast and tell'em a new MAC for a new modem. With Ooma, if my Internet isn't working 'cuz I replaced the modem, how could I call Comcast to tell'em a new MAC? Catch-22!

Let me clarify... when I stated "device" I was referring to a router or a PC/laptop. Not a modem.

As for replacing a modem, I don't know how that would work. I've never changed mine. :)