Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#80798 by dalime
Thu May 05, 2011 6:17 pm
Don't know if this is possible or has been suggested before, but 800 Service is one of the biggest offenders in telemarketing.
Problem is, they have so many numbers I wind up blacklisting one of them just about everyday.
Since they ALWAYS show up as "800 Service", implementing a way so that we could blacklist the caller and not just their number would be nothing short of amazing.

Thanks.
#80801 by murphy
Fri May 06, 2011 2:24 am
"800 Service" is not always a telemarketer.

My car dealer's service department usually identifies as "800 Service".
#80805 by nn5i
Fri May 06, 2011 4:56 am
Well, that's all right. It's not difficult -- I've done it in my own system -- to handle this. If the user enters only a number, block (or permit; there should be a whitelist too) that number. If he enters only a name, block anything with that name. If he enters both, block those calls that match both. Same on the whitelist (which can be the same list with different flags on each entry). Take action (permit or block) on the first match (name, number, or both) encountered when searching the list. The only mildly complex part -- it's not too tough -- is building the list in the right order so you'll find the narrowest entry first.

If each list entry also contains flags saying how much of the number to match, you can do things like blocking all calls with 800 area codes and a particular name, or all calls that are from a particular exchange, or all calls that say "Joe's Bar & Grill". Very versatile. In my system, for each entry in my whitelist/blacklist I can ignore the number; examine only the area code; examine the area code and exchange; or examine the entire number. In each of these cases I can examine or ignore the name.

Ooma could do that too, at small and non-recurring expense (except for the tiny cost of searching the list).
#80917 by Ely
Sun May 08, 2011 3:50 pm
I'm having the exact same issue, I'm getting calls every single day from "800 Service" everyday I block it and then they call from a different number, Ooma really needs to step up and allow us to block based on Caller ID Name; we should be able to use wild cards to block entire area codes if we wished etc, something like *800 Service* or *Toll Free Number* etc.