Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#80933 by nn5i
Sun May 08, 2011 6:26 pm
gnowellsct wrote: ... nothing is ever going to be as good as POTS. I read somewhere that the average downtime per year of POTS telephones is 4 minutes per year 99% to 5 decimal places or something like that....

I think that's true. Now that cell phones and VOIP phones are taking away massive portions of the market share that once belonged to POTS, I doubt that POTS reliability will continue that way, though. Maintenance is expensive, and the POTS installed plant especially so.
#80935 by nn5i
Sun May 08, 2011 6:28 pm
gnowellsct wrote: WHY DON'T THEY PUT THAT IN THE DOCUMENTATION ON HOW TO USE THE ADDRESS BOOK?

Ooma has many strong points, but documentation is not among them.
#80951 by gnowellsct
Mon May 09, 2011 5:47 am
Well, a toast to POTS and let's move on. I wonder what the end of the system will look like. Verizon has a $20/mo unlimited USA which I *almost* chose over Ooma. It connects via microwave system but is better than a hand held because it is a wall plug-in unit. It therefore has more power to reach the towers. It does require a two year contract.

I will lay odds that at some point the companies offering POTS are just going to offer conversion to these units or something like them.

My guess is that the "telephone poles" are going to stay in service as cable and FIOS poles and also power supply lines. So there's plenty of money to keep *that* part of the system going. I imagine that's the most expensive part of the system.

I guess I like my 1984 AT&T phone because it is the last gasp of the POTS philosophy. A simple phone with ultra reliable components that have lasted without complaint for 27 years and is *still* better in sound quality than current market offerings! (I actually tried an old rotary that I have in the basement in the new system but that is like speaking ancient Sanskrit to VOIP).

I guess one of the things I don't like is the crappification of technology. Use it for a while and throw it out.

GN
#80960 by nn5i
Mon May 09, 2011 6:40 am
The old Western Electric phones were super-reliable, because AT&T (before the breakup) had to maintain them and it was cheaper to build them that way than to troubleshoot and replace them. I wish I had some.