Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#80740 by thunderbird
Thu May 05, 2011 5:09 am
Ooma Telo's Factory Default current reset procedures are almost completely worthless.

When it is found that the Ooma Telo boot loader has failed and won't allow the Ooma Telo to boot properly, or the Ooma Telo new firmware update has loaded incorrectly, and/or there are any other numbers of problems that cause the Ooma Telo to malfunction, a Factory Defaults reset is often needed and would correct the problem.

The Factory Default reset needs to able to be initiated at the beginning of the Ooma Telo boot cycle.
Not during the boot cycle or after the boot cycle has finished.

The Factory Default reset process should bring back all Factory Default settings, plus the chose to reload the current version Firmware, or the previous version Firmware.

The Factory Default reset procedure should be able to be initiated and completed with the Ooma Telo powered and connected to the Internet, or only powered and not connected to the Internet.

Now that The Ooma Telo has voice prompts, voice prompts could aid in this procedure.
Last edited by thunderbird on Fri May 06, 2011 6:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
#80743 by danlisman
Thu May 05, 2011 6:02 am
I found this post from 2009. Does this help?

niknak wrote:1) Remove the power for the ooma device

2) Hold the ooma tab [blue light] connect the power and hod for 30 secs until all the lights start flashing and once the flashing of all lights are done release the tab and the device will reset to factory settings.
#80745 by kdmc69
Thu May 05, 2011 6:13 am
danlisman wrote:I found this post from 2009. Does this help?

niknak wrote:1) Remove the power for the ooma device

2) Hold the ooma tab [blue light] connect the power and hod for 30 secs until all the lights start flashing and once the flashing of all lights are done release the tab and the device will reset to factory settings.

If I'm not mistaken, this reset is for the Hub, not the Telo.
#80746 by tomcat
Thu May 05, 2011 6:28 am
The release notes here (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10775) seem to indicate that holding the stop button and the trash button when booting the telo will cause a factory reset. Am I reading this correctly? However, it doesn't state that it downloads the current firmware again. I agree this would be a nice feature to recover from a corrupted firmware install.
#80749 by danlisman
Thu May 05, 2011 6:49 am
tomcat wrote:The release notes here (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10775) seem to indicate that holding the stop button and the trash button when booting the telo will cause a factory reset. Am I reading this correctly? However, it doesn't state that it downloads the current firmware again. I agree this would be a nice feature to recover from a corrupted firmware install.

murphy describes stop/trash reset method on this thread
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6809
#80750 by tomcat
Thu May 05, 2011 9:26 pm
danlisman wrote:
tomcat wrote:The release notes here (viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10775) seem to indicate that holding the stop button and the trash button when booting the telo will cause a factory reset. Am I reading this correctly? However, it doesn't state that it downloads the current firmware again. I agree this would be a nice feature to recover from a corrupted firmware install.

murphy describes stop/trash reset method on this thread
http://www.ooma.com/forums/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=6809

Thanks, danlisman. murphy's instructions seem to indicate that the factory reset is still initiated after the boot sequence (possibly during), but not before. :(
#80964 by nn5i
Mon May 09, 2011 7:17 am
tomcat wrote:Thanks, danlisman. murphy's instructions seem to indicate that the factory reset is still initiated after the boot sequence (possibly during), but not before. :(

(1) I think you're asking for something that's physically impossible. It is software (bootstrap loader or the firmware to which it branches) that must recognize you're holding down certain buttons You want to recognize that before the bootstrap loader takes control? When you learn how to do that, you'll be ready to tell us, also, how to predict the exact time when an individual radium atom will decay. Then you'll win the Nobel Prize even though you won't need the prize money because you'll also win the Lotto every week.

(2) Retaining the ability to revert to an earlier firmware without downloading it means storing it somewhere in the Telo. You'd have to double the size of the flash memory. Rotsa Ruck on persuading Ooma (or anyone else) to do that in a low-buck design like Telo! I have a high-end PC motherboard that can do that, but (a) it was a very expensive motherboard, and (b) I've never used or needed that capability.
#80972 by thunderbird
Mon May 09, 2011 10:03 am
nn5i wrote:(1) I think you're asking for something that's physically impossible. It is software (bootstrap loader or the firmware to which it branches) that must recognize you're holding down certain buttons You want to recognize that before the bootstrap loader takes control? When you learn how to do that, you'll be ready to tell us, also, how to predict the exact time when an individual radium atom will decay. Then you'll win the Nobel Prize even though you won't need the prize money because you'll also win the Lotto every week.

I had a print server in which factory defaults could be reloaded by un-powering the print server, pushing and holding a button on the back of the print server, than powering the print server. Lights blink and flash and when done, factory defaults had been loaded. The same design should be able to be used for loading factory defaults in the Ooma Telo.

nn5i wrote:(2) Retaining the ability to revert to an earlier firmware without downloading it means storing it somewhere in the Telo. You'd have to double the size of the flash memory. Rotsa Ruck on persuading Ooma (or anyone else) to do that in a low-buck design like Telo! I have a high-end PC motherboard that can do that, but (a) it was a very expensive motherboard, and (b) I've never used or needed that capability.

This part depends on the Ooma memory size, and the firmware memory sizes.
#80975 by nn5i
Mon May 09, 2011 10:35 am
Loading factory defaults is not the same as reverting to earlier firmware. Loading factory defaults merely undoes any configuration changes you made, such as setting QOS, specifying DHCP ranges, and the like. Loading factory defaults does precisely nothing to the firmware. Yes, nearly all routers have a way (several ways, usually) to load factory defaults, but don't confuse that with loading (or reloading) firmware. I agree that it's desirable to be able to reload factory defaults, but I believe this ability already exists. Should it be easier? Perhaps not, lest little Johnny or the family cat do it inadvertently. Should it be better documented? Yes, but that statement applies to everything in Ooma's offerings.

If Ooma ever decides to do better documentation, I hope they don't give the job to anyone who always writes than when he means then.