Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#80477 by cdamania1
Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:17 am
Hello,

I wanted to get this out there for OOMA management to take a look and take the right decision.

Currently there are 4 different categories that customers can be in.

OOMA basic ( where you just pay the Tax if you have the telo device and if you have the original HUB you dont have to pay tax at all.)

OOMa Basic with International basic ( customers are paying $9.99 per month to subscribe to the international minuted to get 1000 minutes every month. Plus they are paying the monthly tax on both the OOMA telo device as well as the International package. For OOMA HUB users they are not paying tax on the HUB but they may be paying tax on the international package.

OOMA Premier: ( this is where customers either pay $9.99 a month or 119.99 for the year. This is where the customer get all the features.

The last package is

OOMA premier with International minutes: ( this is where you are paying 119.99 plus 9.99 a month as well as tax.

So to do the math for all the above:

Package 1. ( For telo users $3.97 a month total for 12 months: $47.64) ( nothing for HUB Users)
Package 2. ( For telo users $3.97/ per month + $9.99 + tax per month total for 12 months $ 174.84) ( for Hub users only 9.99 a month)
Package 3. ( For telo users $112.99 for year + $3.97 tax per month. Total for 12 months including base premier $160.63)
Package 4. (For telo users $ 112.99 for year + $3.97 tax per month + $9.99 + tax per month for international total 12 month including base premier $287.83

As you can see users who have the base package with international minutes are generating revenue for you and by taking away base features like caller-ID names you are actually degrading them.

If you look at the price difference between package 2 and package 3, Package 2 users are actually paying $14 more to get the basic service including international minutes and are loosing out on the basic feature like caller-ID names.

If you compare Package 4 to Vonage you are getting tremendous amount of features as well as unlimited calling internationally. Package 4 cost $close to $290 Vonage world cost $311 ( which includes all features as well as unlimited calling internationally.

I suggest you please reconsider your opinion about removing the feature on all ooma basic users and add this feature back on on the users that actually have one or more of your add-on features. I know that OOMA would like to generate revenue but taking away features does not generate revenue, it will force people to leave ooma.

Please let us all know what your decision is and hopefully the decision will satisfy all of us.

thanks
#80478 by cdamania1
Fri Apr 29, 2011 5:27 am
cdamania1 wrote:Hello,

I wanted to get this out there for OOMA management to take a look and take the right decision.

Currently there are 4 different categories that customers can be in.

OOMA basic ( where you just pay the Tax if you have the telo device and if you have the original HUB you dont have to pay tax at all.)

OOMa Basic with International basic ( customers are paying $9.99 per month to subscribe to the international minuted to get 1000 minutes every month. Plus they are paying the monthly tax on both the OOMA telo device as well as the International package. For OOMA HUB users they are not paying tax on the HUB but they may be paying tax on the international package.

OOMA Premier: ( this is where customers either pay $9.99 a month or 119.99 for the year. This is where the customer get all the features.

The last package is

OOMA premier with International minutes: ( this is where you are paying 119.99 plus 9.99 a month as well as tax.

So to do the math for all the above:

Package 1. ( For telo users $3.97 a month total for 12 months: $47.64) ( nothing for HUB Users)
Package 2. ( For telo users $3.97/ per month + $9.99 + tax per month total for 12 months $ 174.84) ( for Hub users only 9.99 a month)
Package 3. ( For telo users $112.99 for year + $3.97 tax per month. Total for 12 months including base premier $160.63)
Package 4. (For telo users $ 112.99 for year + $3.97 tax per month + $9.99 + tax per month for international total 12 month including base premier $287.83

As you can see users who have the base package with international minutes are generating revenue for you and by taking away base features like caller-ID names you are actually degrading them.

If you look at the price difference between package 2 and package 3, Package 2 users are actually paying $14 more to get the basic service including international minutes and are loosing out on the basic feature like caller-ID names.

If you compare Package 4 to Vonage you are getting tremendous amount of features as well as unlimited calling internationally. Package 4 cost $close to $290 Vonage world cost $311 ( which includes all features as well as unlimited calling internationally.

I suggest you please reconsider your opinion about removing the feature on all ooma basic users and add this feature back on on the users that actually have one or more of your add-on features. I know that OOMA would like to generate revenue but taking away features does not generate revenue, it will force people to leave ooma.

Please let us all know what your decision is and hopefully the decision will satisfy all of us.

thanks

Also forget to mention one thing.

If you compare package 4 to Lingo another VOIP service provider.
Their are also like vonage offering unlimited calling to international but at such a good price. their price for 12month is $264. This is far better than ooma's package 4 option.

Also one of the most important thing is that these VOIp providers provide 24X7 phone support.

There are pros and cons for everything and all i am suggesting is OOMA rethinks and starts pushing out the feature for caller-id with names.
#80479 by lbmofo
Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:19 am
Just a few observations to add to this thread.

For some Basic users, Ooma is not "removing" or "taking away" callerid name feature but rather stopping "courteous inclusion."

The FUSF fee that ranges from 15% to 18% is applicable to all when subscribed to international plans that include minutes. The FUSF fee is also applicable to all in international prepaid activities.

Other providers charge fees + taxes on top of the prices you mentioned.

I did an Ooma vs iTalkBB and Vonage World post once: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=9230

Ooma Basic + 1000 min International Plan: $3.47 RRF + $11.79 = $15.26/month
Ooma Core + 1000 min International Plan: $11.79/month

Including other providers' fees and taxes, Vonage World friends were paying $33.52/month and iTalkBB friends were paying $27.94/month

As you can see, Ooma gives you significant savings month after month. Note: iTalkBB friends were getting callerid with number only.

Perhaps features à la carte may help: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10362&start=20#p77442
#80482 by nn5i
Fri Apr 29, 2011 6:46 am
lbmofo wrote:Just a few observations to add to this thread.

For some Basic users, Ooma is not "removing" or "taking away" callerid name feature but rather stopping "courteous inclusion."

The FUSF fee that ranges from 15% to 18% is applicable to all when subscribed to international plans that include minutes. The FUSF fee is also applicable to all in international prepaid activities.

Other providers charge fees + taxes on top of the prices you mentioned.

Perhaps features à la carte may help: viewtopic.php?f=6&t=10362&start=20#p77442

I agree. Actually, I agree both with the OP and with lbmofo.

The OP says, in effect, that inclusion of CID-name in Basic might result in a greater volume of sales for Ooma. I don't know whether it would or not, but it could, and if I were Ooma I'd do it. Ooma, on the other hand, probably believes that by withholding CID-name from Basic it will sell more Premier accounts and make more money. That, also, could be true; and it's not an unreasonable belief nor an unreasonable decision. CID-name is the only thing in Premier that I would want at all, but for me it's not worth the price.

Lbmofo, on the other hand, points out that (although it's present today on many Basic accounts), CID-name wasn't promised with Basic and therefore isn't owed. That's certainly true. I have Basic, and currently I'm getting CID-name, and I would be mildly discommoded if CID-name were withdrawn, but I wouldn't feel cheated if CID-name stopped working. I might ditch Ooma -- I may do that anyway because of the terrible audio delay -- but certainly I wouldn't feel wronged.

Lbmofo's suggestion of features à la carte, I think, would be the wisest course for Ooma. Perhaps many, like me, would purchase additional features if they could purchase only the ones they want.
#80497 by caseybea
Fri Apr 29, 2011 12:46 pm
CID/NAM is one of the main drivers I went with the CORE and not the Telo. In my case-- their choice of removing CID/NAM from the basic service lost them not only premiere revenue, but revenue from new hardware. Oops.

Moving forward, I think Ooma would be better served by not trying to have just one "services" package (Premiere). Be creative, split it up a little.

Years from now, when my hub dies and I have to replace it (assuming Ooma is still here) - I would not get the Premiere service. I *would* however, pay a FEW bucks a month for CID/NAM....

There's lots of possibilities:

Ooma Bronze + $2.99 a month
Ooma Silver + $5.99 a month
Ooma Gold + $9.99 a month

... each with increasing levels of features. Maybe Ooma Bronze has CID. Ooma Silver has that, and a few other goodies.

Etc.
#80630 by cdamania1
Tue May 03, 2011 4:34 am
You know everyone makes a good point here. From OOMA's side they want to sell more premier. From users side some like the features of having dual numbers and stuff like that.

If you look at it this way. In premier you get many features. Including dual phone numbers. The sad part is a average users who buys premier will not be able to take advantage of all the features anyway. In order to use the dual phone number feature at any given time you need the OOMA telo handset.

I agree that ooma has to rethink what they are doing and atleast think for the future. I know that they may generate more revenue for selling premier and pulling features from basic but on the other side they will loose revenue by loosing customers.

Also on my original post i forget to mention this.

OOMA charges for their equipment.
The charge is $200 plus tax (just equipment alone)
Then if you subscribe to international minutes you have a charge of $9.99 a month. total $10.60 w/ tax total for year: $127.20
total with equipment: $386.84 ( this is with monthly tax/ equipment & international)
By us paying this much they cant afford to offer caller-id with names to their users. Unbeliveable
NO 24x7 tech support

Other Voip providers
No charge
they charge $21 a month: this totals $252 per year. This includes unlimited domestic and international calling.
This also includes 24X7 calling to tech support.
#82745 by shellz
Sun Jun 05, 2011 10:27 am
I just opted out of premier service as besides CID, I saw no other benefit for me to justify having premier service. Ooma should also reconsider their International package offers. In order to avail bulk minute discount, I would have pay monthly fee for a 1000 minutes to countries I do not call. As such I am using other sources.