Something on your mind? Want to give us feedback on something in particular or everything in general? Tell us how we are doing!
#80104 by murphy
Sat Apr 23, 2011 10:32 am
Eternal wrote:turn dchp off in ooma and have it request ips from router

There is no way to disable the DHCP server in the Ooma.
#80927 by paladin252
Sun May 08, 2011 5:39 pm
murphy wrote:
Eternal wrote:turn dchp off in ooma and have it request ips from router

There is no way to disable the DHCP server in the Ooma.

hence the reason it is a feature request.
#87188 by kb-hunter
Thu Sep 15, 2011 3:12 pm
Add my name to the list for this feature too.

In most cases it is NOT possible to place Ooma ahead of the home network. The reasons can be as varied as the number of set-ups, and not because it is too simple or too complex.

Let me try to list a few that come to mind immediately:
1) In some cases the modem and router are integrated.
2) In some cases the head-end is buried deep inside a closet and the available ethernet connections are behind the home network router.
3) If we want to use the buttons and message light etc. on the Telo device (or the Ooma Hub) then it has to be visible/accessible/convenient. That by definition is not where you want your home network router to be. You would want that out of the way, hidden, and positioned for maximum coverage for WIFI.
4) In any case, it is a bit audacious and smug for any one network equipment to *demand* that it be placed in front of the router/firewall, because it knows what is best.

Now, my Ooma Telo device is sitting on my desk and taking up the precious ethernet drop. Now I can't even connect any other wired ethernet device without adding another switch. That I think is ridiculous.

If I use the "home port" to connect it, that device goes to la-la-land and is not reachable by any other device on my network because Ooma has it's own firewall.

Bottom line is, it would be much better for Ooma to provide a configurable option to make it work as an ethernet switch.

It is not just a "nice to have" option, but should have been designed in for the reasons listed above.
#92118 by atjaguarx
Mon Jan 23, 2012 4:47 pm
kb-hunter wrote:It is not just a "nice to have" option, but should have been designed in for the reasons listed above.

I agree... this device should be configurable as a switch. This devices is not a router and should not pretend to be.
#92171 by highq
Tue Jan 24, 2012 1:36 pm
kb-hunter wrote:Add my name to the list for this feature too.

In most cases it is NOT possible to place Ooma ahead of the home network. The reasons can be as varied as the number of set-ups, and not because it is too simple or too complex.

Let me try to list a few that come to mind immediately:
1) In some cases the modem and router are integrated.
2) In some cases the head-end is buried deep inside a closet and the available ethernet connections are behind the home network router.
3) If we want to use the buttons and message light etc. on the Telo device (or the Ooma Hub) then it has to be visible/accessible/convenient. That by definition is not where you want your home network router to be. You would want that out of the way, hidden, and positioned for maximum coverage for WIFI.
4) In any case, it is a bit audacious and smug for any one network equipment to *demand* that it be placed in front of the router/firewall, because it knows what is best.

Now, my Ooma Telo device is sitting on my desk and taking up the precious ethernet drop. Now I can't even connect any other wired ethernet device without adding another switch. That I think is ridiculous.

If I use the "home port" to connect it, that device goes to la-la-land and is not reachable by any other device on my network because Ooma has it's own firewall.

Bottom line is, it would be much better for Ooma to provide a configurable option to make it work as an ethernet switch.

It is not just a "nice to have" option, but should have been designed in for the reasons listed above.

You might be able to simplify your life by buying a pair of cat5 network pair splitters. A cat5 cable has eight wires, only four of which are normally used. A pair of these splitters lets you connect one cable to two ports on your routers, delivering two ports to your desk. They're priced all over the lot: I see the cheapest for two of them on Froogle is less than $5.00.